Winter Golf essentials?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok so its not feeling very Autumnal at the mo but with the winter due soon I wondered what you hardy golf dogs class as essential kit for comfortable winter golf

so many products in so many categories its a bit of a salesmans dream

any input totally appreciated, yes I know certain things will be obvious as its just common sense but would be great to hear what you all use or have used and the pro's & con's

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hipflask?

I'm going to get one of those thermal base layers and thats it.

All last winter just wore my waterproofs, some thinsulate gloves between shots and woolly hat.

Job Done.

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site
Good thermals including socks and insoles

A winterised, lined sweater.

Good, light waterproofs.

Thermal mitts

A thermal hat i.e. Thinsulate or the Galvin Green type

Small flask of oxo or bovril.

A good mindset, take every game as it comes.

Played in the wind and rain yesterday, had fun and barely noticed the weather.

Cheers

Steve...

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't really change alot from summer really. I add a base layer and poss a jumpe, swap my cap for a thermal wooly one and some distance balls. Oh and chane my drinks bottle to a small thin flask. Job done.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i got nike mitts, and under armour cold gear hood didnt need a hat with the hood last winter thing is so warm covers my face if the wind is freezing also its a god send! and nike storm fit suit, and thermal base layers and jobs a gooden i hope lol

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
First real winger season for me. I have acquired some orange PD Longs for the frosty days ahead. Also got rain gloves, rain suit, undershirts, long johns and jumpers. If it's anything like the last cold weather golf I played I need the long johns!

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree wth Clive nothing more than a good jumper or windtop needed, if you need thermals your standing still for too long and need to get a move on.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I normally wear a baselayer and a sleeveless pullover, unlessit's raining then the waterproof jacket gets an airing. I might also getthe mitts out if it's really cold.

Have been using Bridgestone xFIXx balls during the summer, that will change to Srixon distance.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree wth Clive nothing more than a good jumper or windtop needed, if you need thermals your standing still for too long and need to get a move on.

If only we didn't have to stand around and wait on some tees! :(

For me, Winter Golf means:

Base Layers
Windproof Top
Woolly Hat
Mittens
Waterproof Trousers - wear them pretty much all through the winter over base layer trousers.
Thermos Flask - tea, coffee, even mulled wine
Hip Flask - home made sloe or damson gin

I might even have some of those Hand Warmer things too - saw them in Sports Direct for 49p for two and bought a load. Quite nice too, they were.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm with Clive and Toad for this, where do you guys play????

Only changes i make are i might wear a polo neck under a junper instead of a shirt and carry my clubs. Got a pair of gloves but if its cold enough to wear them it usually means the grounds frozen so don't play.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for me it has to be the mittens as i really suffer with cold hands, second has to be a beenie.

Should add i tend to swap normal lightweight trousers for them all weather trousers which seem to hold the wind out a bit more, and are also shower proof.

Last edited:

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a decent new set of GG waterproofs, they were expenisve but I'm an all year golfer not a fair weather type.

I have a winter bag, I normally use a Titleist Staff Cart bag but I don't want it getting mullered by our winter and the pockets although good are small, so, I have an IZZO Traveller Bag which has nice big pockets for my mitts, jumpers, heat pads, Waterproofs, Flask of Onion/Chicken soup, dry socks, Woolly hat, and in some cases another pair of shoes.

I have a pair of FJ Dryjoy Tours for summer and then x2 pairs of FJ Comforts for the winter as they make walking on hard ground a bit more pleasent. I also use memory foam insoles that keep my feet toasty.

I did use some of the various "base2 layers from Nike/Adidas but I found then very tight and constricting and made me sweat like Micheal Jaksons doctor live on SKY News. I just have a T-shirt/Vest a thick shift/Roll Neck and a nice Pringle jumper.

I also have x2 hats for the summer and x2 for the winter colour coded as I'm a big poser.

SG

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a decent new set of GG waterproofs, they were expenisve but I'm an all year golfer not a fair weather type.

I have a winter bag, I normally use a Titleist Staff Cart bag but I don't want it getting mullered by our winter and the pockets although good are small, so, I have an IZZO Traveller Bag which has nice big pockets for my mitts, jumpers, heat pads, Waterproofs, Flask of Onion/Chicken soup, dry socks, Woolly hat, and in some cases another pair of shoes.

I have a pair of FJ Dryjoy Tours for summer and then x2 pairs of FJ Comforts for the winter as they make walking on hard ground a bit more pleasent. I also use memory foam insoles that keep my feet toasty.

I did use some of the various "base2 layers from Nike/Adidas but I found then very tight and constricting and made me sweat like Micheal Jaksons doctor live on SKY News. I just have a T-shirt/Vest a thick shift/Roll Neck and a nice Pringle jumper.

I also have x2 hats for the summer and x2 for the winter colour coded as I'm a big poser.

SG

Man thats organised, I'm impressed:) if not a little jealous...

I pull out whatevers handy and maybe a thicker pair of socks, I do however, get very cold and wet and miserable so I think a rethink and proper winter gear. I like the idea of a windproof trousers and jumper plus thermal hat and these insoles for toastiness (what are they?)

Scazza

Head Pro
Visit site
I am with the minority here and wonder where everyone is playing?!

If it really is that cold, you'd think the course would be closed due to frozen greens.

My winter essentials are:

Base Layer.
Waterprrof Trousers
Wind Breaker/Top
Warm socks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am with the minority here and wonder where everyone is playing?!

If it really is that cold, you'd think the course would be closed due to frozen greens.

My winter essentials are:

Base Layer.
Waterprrof Trousers
Wind Breaker/Top
Warm socks.

FYI, I play in Ross-shire over the winter ( north of Scotland) and Toad and Clive are in Perthshire.

Scotland must be warmer in winter the england-shire!