Winter golf balls

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I play Titleist Tour Speed normally. Thinking of trying the Tour Soft in bright yellow for the winter as I don't really need the urethane cover with the greens being so soft, and they're cheaper.

i tried the Tour Speed on friday as i got a free sleeve of 2 at the H4H meet - they felt ok off the driver, irons and wedges but they just didn't enough for me to make the switch full time

D

Deleted member 23270

What a pair of absolute bangers.

Here for the golf chat, keep your abuse to yourselves or go away and keyboard warrior on Twitter and the like.
If you come first in the weekly stableford do you count that as a W? ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only reason I change in winter is because of the slower greens and want a ball that rolls a bit further with the chips and putts. I still play something relatively high spin - Bridgestone B330RX.

Boomy

Visit site
Just bought 50 x A/B grade Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow balls for winter use - that should see me through at least 2 winters tbh ? but they were a cracking price so why not. I play the Callaway Chrome Soft & Truvis through summer so this is ideal to keep the same feel through winter. I used yellow Bridgestone E6 balls last winter but they were just too clicky and numb.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't use a premium ball normally as I can't justify £50 for a box, so I just stick to my £20 -25 balls all year round. I do know two people that switch to a distance ball during winter.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I never take winter golf too serious, it’s mainly just about keeping the swing going and meeting up with friends for a game, we don’t run any comps at ours and are on mats or playing from the semi rough so I use up all the balls I have found over the summer.

D

Deleted member 3432

I just continue using my normal ball. Still working through my stock of 2017 Bridgestone B330s and will then crack open my stock of 'newer' Bridgestone BXS.

Just got to accept on cold or damp days the ball just wants to drop out of the sky and club up accordingly.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually play something that’s £20 dozen max that has been titleist distance/so lo- but I will probably stick with the ad333s I have might try the distance if I need to buy something. But I haven’t bought premium balls all year and have Ad333s and tour softs in my bags. They did run on a bit but to be honest nothing really stops on our greens irrespective of how well you hit it. So I would still be playing for the front with a prov.. and I will qualify that statement that the Ad333 was less tha 500rpm or so down on the ball tests so isn’t that bad.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
For those wanting to save some cash, TaylorMade V3s are available for £17.99 at Clubhouse Golf (white only). I find them comparable to Callaway Supersofts, but better.
I got a pair of AVX at H4H Blackmoor, played with one yesterday and love it. Sadly, at £44.99 a dozen, I may not be buying any soon!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For those wanting to save some cash, TaylorMade V3s are available for £17.99 at Clubhouse Golf (white only). I find them comparable to Callaway Supersofts, but better.
I got a pair of AVX at H4H Blackmoor, played with one yesterday and love it. Sadly, at £44.99 a dozen, I may not be buying any soon!

If you like the AVX wait until titleist do the 4 dozen for the price of 3 offer. It’s usually around crimbo.
I got 8 dozen last time

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only reason I change in winter is because of the slower greens and want a ball that rolls a bit further with the chips and putts
If the putter in your backup rig has a harder face, you can get the same effect by simply switching it in for your gamer for the winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the putter in your backup rig has a harder face, you can get the same effect by simply switching it in for your gamer for the winter.

The point of changing golf balls is to not change the putter (which is what I used to do).

One of the changes I made was to buy a putter which has changeable weights in the bottom and I sometimes vary these according to green speed.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't change balls in winter, all you are doing by changing to a lower compression ball is giving up yardage as low compression balls are slow balls. Unless of course you have a very low club head speed where you probable wont notice any difference.

I've just purchased 3 dozen Pro V1x left dash balls for £100.41 delivered which works out at £33.47 per dozen, absolute steal at that price.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't change balls in winter, all you are doing by changing to a lower compression ball is giving up yardage as low compression balls are slow balls. Unless of course you have a very low club head speed where you probable wont notice any difference.

I've just purchased 3 dozen Pro V1x left dash balls for £100.41 delivered which works out at £33.47 per dozen, absolute steal at that price.

Where from mate ?

sunshine

Visit site
I am changing but only to yellow ones as we have a lot of pale leaves in the rough and I think they will be easier to find :p I did try red ones but hey were even worse than white, lost sight of them in flight and terrible in the rough. Ordered 40 Callaway Supersofts from Premier Lakeballs for £50 inc postage so should last me a few rounds!

I found a red Volvik ball once. Hit a few shots with it then lost it. So hard to pick up the flight and then the roll, ridiculous whoever thought it was a good idea.

sunshine

Visit site
Back to talking balls. I don't see the point of wasting nice shiny ProV1's in winter so I switch to a cheaper ball. When it gets cold I find a softer compression works for me, something like a Callaway Supersoft still feels nice off the clubface.

I find the balls last for ages in winter, they don't get scuffed up, less roll into trouble, and the rough is down so easier to find.

TigerBear

Visit site

According to some online articles,. When the temperature drops lower, the theory is that is you need more speed to compress the ball the same amount as you would in summer. A lower compression ball should help most.

I only change in winter due to cost and less need for spin.