winter gloves

NedPizza

Visit site
Hey,
With the cold spell, I was wondering can you use normal day to day winter gloves to play, or do you need special golf gloves?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need gloves that will grip the club.

I have used driving gloves which are fleece gloves with a gripping section in the palm and fingers with out any problem (Karrimor). In the main though I use a single golf glove with mittens on between shots.

Winter golf gloves are not normally expensive and they usually come as pairs. The ones I have tried all suffer from the same problem in that they are quite thick and it feels odd gripping a club with them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar to jim8flog, winter gloves are just to thick and lack feeling. I bought some big mittens last year, keep them on, take off to play a shot, pop them back on. They work well.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have some of those Gavin green gloves, the winter playing ones.

I have the old white and black ones but I think the newer ones are all black.

Love them to bits (literally).
1612977944173.jpeg

D

Deleted member 3432

Similar to jim8flog, winter gloves are just to thick and lack feeling. I bought some big mittens last year, keep them on, take off to play a shot, pop them back on. They work well.

Carry your bag and stick hands in pockets, does the job nicely.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got these Under Armour gloves - there will be a newer version, mine are probably five years old

I also have a pair of these, but didn't wear them (for golf at least, good for cycling).

I never wore winter gloves or mitts until before Xmas when it was bitter here. Just persevered with a single "normal"glove. Played in the under armour gloves and was pleasantly surprised how it was Ok to play in 2 gloves and keep them on all round. Any other time I always remove my single glove for putting or chipping, but in the cold having 2 gloves on kept me warm and didn't affect my game as far as I am concerned.
I would definitely give 2 winter gloves a try. Our pro recommends mizuno. Other brand are available ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive a pair off GG leather, with some sort of warm lining. they are OK but for the cost you would be better off just buying a left handers right glove and wearing it with your normal glove.

i'm quite lucky in that my hands don't get that cold, my mate suffers really bady and has 2 pairs on with hand warmers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got these Under Armour gloves - there will be a newer version, mine are probably five years old
I bought those exact ones several years ago. They offered no warmth whatsoever. Nowadays I use them for the gardening.

Footjoy Wintersof ones are good - but I find on full shots, tee shots etc I have to take the right one off or I seem to slice it more for some reason. That's probably just me. You can use any gloves you like I suppose, but non-golf designed ones may not have enough grip so you'll end up trying to hold onto the club too tightly.

TigerBear

Visit site
Tried winter gloves, right-handed equivalent glove so I had two.

Waste of time, too thick, can't grip the club properly.

Hand in pocket. Job done.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Waste of time, too thick.

I felt the same way for a while but now I don’t notice the difference. You do need to practice with them on for a bit and get used to them. You can’t just buy them in the shop and head to the first tee expecting them to feel like a normal glove. Took me a Range session or two and a couple of rounds but now I can’t be without them if it’s cold and dry.

Boomy

Visit site
I bought the Footjoy Wintersof but found them a bit thick, lovely and warm but numb on the club. A friend recommended some Callaway ones and they are great, they’re not as warm as the Footjoys but they keep me warm enough and I can play in them no probs.