Winter Gear

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Footjoy's rain gloves are superb.

You NEED decent waterproof shoes as well. Nothing worse than finishing a round with ice cold, freezing and wet feet!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Footjoy's rain gloves are superb.

You NEED decent waterproof shoes as well. Nothing worse than finishing a round with ice cold, freezing and wet feet!
That's true actually. I still wear golf shoes I've had about 8 years - back in January I played a round where my feet were so cold I actually lost feeling in them and was getting genuinely worried I might do lasting damage! I ended up stomping and hopping around the last couple of holes just to get some feeling back. Pretty much ruined my enjoyment of the round as all I could think about were my frozen feet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's true actually. I still wear golf shoes I've had about 8 years - back in January I played a round where my feet were so cold I actually lost feeling in them and was getting genuinely worried I might do lasting damage! I ended up stomping and hopping around the last couple of holes just to get some feeling back. Pretty much ruined my enjoyment of the round as all I could think about were my frozen feet.

If it is that cold I go double layered again. Wear a thin pair of summer socks under your normal ones. That should not impact on the fit and it really helps. Same theory as wearing layers on your upper body. Any colder and the course is likely to be frozen and unplayable anyway.

Most of my warming tips come from years of standing on touchlines watching my son play rugby and football. Now that was cold at times :confused:.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mittens
Macwets/UA/FJ winter gloves
Base layer (top & trousers)
Lined trousers
Wind cheater
Waterproofs (proquip/Sutherland/ GG*)
Waterproof shoes (that won't leak)
Snood
Decent large brolly (that won't blow inside out)

A good attitude to playing in the wet/cold (can't be bought but beats all of the above!)

HTH

* Can't beat Galvin Green but their stuff is very expensive, so depends on your budget and how much use you will get out of the kit

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it is that cold I go double layered again. Wear a thin pair of summer socks under your normal ones. That should not impact on the fit and it really helps. Same theory as wearing layers on your upper body. Any colder and the course is likely to be frozen and unplayable anyway.

Most of my warming tips come from years of standing on touchlines watching my son play rugby and football. Now that was cold at times :confused:.
Sound advice, but weirdly extra socks is one of things I just forget sometimes. You throw layers on your top half but socks just slip your mind. I'll try not to forget this winter as that day will always be remembered as 'frozen foot day' and should serve as a reminder!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Actually you don't. You need a pair of sealskinz socks (approx £25) and you can then wear pretty much any golf shoes and your feet will stay dry. There is no such thing as waterproof golf shoes, water will always find it's way in somehow, often over the top of the shoe but SS socks will still keep your feet warm and dry.

As for waterproofs, you either love or hate Galvin Green but I've had Sunderland, Pro Quip and several other brands and they are quite simply NOT as good as GG. Yes they are expensive but my jacket is about 10 years old and my trousers 6yo and they both still keep me 100% dry. If you can afford them then do not hesitate to buy some!

Last edited by a moderator:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually you don't. You need a pair of sealskinz socks (approx £25) and you can then wear pretty much any golf shoes and your feet will stay dry. There is no such thing as waterproof golf shoes, water will always find it's way in somehow, often over the top of the shoe but SS socks will still keep your feet warm and dry.

As for waterproofs, you either love or hate Galvin Green but I've had Sunderland, Pro Quip and several other brands and they are quite simply NOT as good as GG. Yes they are expensive but my jacket is about 10 years old and my trousers 6yo and they both still keep me 100% dry. If you can afford them then do not hesitate to buy some!

Is the correct answer, SS socks are the best bit of kit you can buy for wet/winter golf