Winter Gear

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My son took up golf last in September and loves it. This year I am looking to get winter gear for both of us, decent waterproofs and golf shoes as it seems likely we will play a lot or as much as is possible.

Any recommendations on waterproofs, gloves hats etc and any other gear that will be useful for the winter.

Thanks

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
waterproofs - Proquip are excellent and a reasonable price.
Gloves - "macwet" or similar and a pair of golf mittens
a decent wooly hat is always handy for when its really cold

i have just bought some Dexshell waterproof socks so i won't need to worry about waterproof shoes.

if you dont want to be wearing golf trousers and waterproof trousers look at the Stromberg Wintra range - they are wind/waterproof and thermal lined.

i find that in winter i am warm enough in my winter trousers, base layer, polo shirt and jumper

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unless you're fixated on labels, I would consider looking at what outdoor shops like decathlon have to offer. Often the same fabric technology, but a better price.

My personal favourite piece of winter gear is a Uniqlo down gillet. So light you don't know you're wearing it, but warm enough for chilly days. Less than £50 when I last looked, but might have crept up.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Long johns are the way to go. I used to freeze my butt off until I invested in a pair.

Plus one for long johns.
I have quilted tog rated ones. £5 off eBay. People laugh when you mention why your so warm. But functional. Top that with a £4 decathlon base layer. Them pair of undergarments under solid GG waterproofs if raining.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last winter I was often wearing a Sondico skintight long-sleeved undershirt that I got from Sports Direct - bought primarily for football but did the job perfectly for golf as well. Surprising how much warmth they actually give, plus I like the fact that it doesn't feel like you're wearing loads of thick layers. They're only about 12 quid. I also have a pair of wet weather gloves by Under Armour which were about 20 quid - they help you grip the club when it's raining - I admit they don't add much warmth or anything though. If it's cold but not raining you're better off slipping mittens on between shots.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re feet I have some footjoy waterproof boots that were not expensive and are like wearing slippers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+3 for long johns under lightweight waterproof trousers (or heavy weight waterproof trousers when it's really cold)

If you want to keep costs down but maintain quality have a look in places like Mountain Warehouse or Blacks if you can afford it for Goretex or similar.

My Goretex jackets are Sprayway and my trousers are Proquip, Sunderland and Addidas

Layering up is better than thick layers, just make sure you can swing in what you buy.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have an assortment of UA/Nike/Adidas base layers - use them for work as well.
Waterproofs - pay out or you could lose 2 litres of sweat (some could actually benefit from that!)
I personally love my FJ Winter Mittens - put a hand warmer in them and you'll never have cold digits.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
.sdepends what u want to spend, I have Galvin green and they are top notch, I don't get wet, and they fit well on me, I used my last galvin trousers for 7 years and they were still great I only got new ones as was through a gm day. One of my playing partners had 3-4 different types over the last few years before switching to GG, it cost him a lot more in the long run.
Some good base layers, a snood, good hat, I bought some Ecco goretex shoes so my feet would stay dry too.
Oh and some good mits 😬

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
The only bit of dedicated winter gear I've got is an Under Armour compression top. Although any other brand will do. That, along with my normal shirt, sleeveless jumper, waterproof jacket, trousers and waterproof trousers (normal walking ones) and I'm toasty warm. Oh and a hat of course.
The only area I need to improve is gloves.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone has already mentioned thin layers. I'd back this. Mountain Warehouse offer cheap thermal long johns and compression tops. I have them and they are great. Plenty of other options but they work and are cheap. Sealskinz or equivalent waterproof socks are great. Proquip are great value waterproofs and work brilliantly. A simple windproof top is worth it as well as they tend to be less restrictive. I have a Sunice one which I bought new off Ebay, brilliant top and I have just bought a half sleeve version for slightly warmer days as I was so impressed.

I find that once you are walking you generate your own heat so thin layers that don't impact on your swing and are easy to remove and windproofing are the key points for me. You shouldn't end up like the Michelin man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find that once you are walking you generate your own heat so thin layers that don't impact on your swing and are easy to remove and windproofing are the key points for me. You shouldn't end up like the Michelin man.
Exactly this. Even on the coldest days in winter I found a tight undershirt, polo and thin jumper or waterproof jacket were generally enough to keep my body warm (past the 3rd hole say when you've warmed up a bit). The main issue is keeping your hands warm though, because for me, once my hands get frozen I can't play golf to save my life.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, thin and warm sounds good. There is a mountain warehouse local to me so a trip there is on the cards.