Winter comps

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This Saturday will see my first monthly medal using the “clean and place” (preferred lies) rule, this year. This means I will be able to clean my ball on about 3 fairways – I can hardly wait!

Does this give straight hitters even more of an advantage? I find it quite tough playing a shot from mud in the semi rough (with a clump on the ball) when someone a foot or two away from me gets to clean & place.

I’m going to have a lesson with my driver before teeing off. May be using the rescue club from most tees though!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Winter comps are usualy played of shortend course's so taking that fairway wood or rescue of the tee sounds a good idea.Then again the ball does not travel as far in the winter??? Hmm what to do. Sorry pppt even in normal conditions most people would go for being more accurate and leaving it on the fairway than distance.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hope you keep it between the long grass then, pppt.

You know, of course, that the driving lesson right before the medal's gonna go one of two ways ! Hope it's the right one for you. Does the medal count for your handicap?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it wont count if it is winter rules (99% sure it will be)

thinking long term anyway, so a bad days driving wont kill me - cant get much worse any way!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love Winter rules....we've had 'em for some weeks now.
It's hardly a huge advantage for those of us lucky enough to find the fairway quite a bit, although the removal of mud from the ball is quite a bonus, I admit.

I make the rule work to my advantage with the placing, quite often manage to sit the ball up a little more when replacing the ball.

As to "not counting", I'm not going to "do" this one again. At my course we have a winter CSS. As confirmed by my h'cap sec' this morning, if I do manage to play better than the 3 shots taken off for CSS I will expect to get cut.

Dave

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ditto. Need to be 8 under at least to get cut on the winter course. Serious stuff. Normally stableford, so 44 points or more. No real qualifiers though, so no one goes up.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in the senior medal yesterday. Stinking weather and feeling under par but I managed 2 under. Feeling great now. :rolleyes: