New irons, 2 comps this weekend....

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
I know this topic has been done before!

I have a nice new set of irons. They are different to the game improvers I’ve played for the last couple of years since taking up the game properly. Specifically they have smaller heads and less offset. Whilst I’m confident that they’ll help me move my game forward, a first social round with them last week indicates that a period of adjustment is likely...

My club has two comps in the next few days. I have been playing pretty well and fancy my chances.

Should I:

(A) Crack on with the new clubs, playing them in the upcoming comps. A “flick the switch” implementation if you like.
(B) Get used to them slowly, using them for social rounds only until I’ve spent enough (range) time with them. A “carefully phased” implementation...

Thoughts please!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You've not spent your money on them so they can sit in the cupboard for a week or two.
Let 'em loose so they can start paying for themselves

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you got fitted for your new irons I don't see why you will play worse with them than with the old ones.
If it is a case of lacking confidence with new bats play first comp with the new ones and see what's happen.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
Clear theme!

This is actually the first time I’ve changed my irons so I’m interested to learn how people approach the transition. The social round I played did show me that they are different to my first set. I think the lack of offset in particular.

When I was fitted for my first set I had a slice and a handicap in the twenties. I’m now hitting a consistent draw shape and my handicap is fifteen and still falling fast.

Anyway, I think I will man up and use them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Play them. Chopping and changing back and forth you won't do you any favours either. I always sell the retired set as soon as possible to stop me putting them back in the bag. It makes you commit to the new set.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope your new ones are good in soft conditions with this rain.
Never look back you bought new irons for a reason , so go shoot the lights out.