Wine With Turkey Dinner.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being a lover of Malbec with our steaks on a Friday night, I was wondering whether to have red or white with our turkey dinner this Friday and looking for any recommendations.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
totally agree with @fundy (you can tell this isn't a football thread!)

Drink what you want. You're already ruining the meal with Turkey, so you should definitely drink whatever you want to make up for it!

In terms of flavourings if you want to get 'matchy' my personal preference is pair bold with bold/subtle with subtle rather than contrast - so if your food is full of big flavours, then choose a drink that matches, if your food is subtle then do that.

But at the end of the day, choose what you enjoy.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds odd to say, but depends what you like? If you prefer a red, then have a red. There's more old cobblers talked about wine than is necessary.

If you like a Malbec, I can recommend the Q Malbec from Laithwaites. But I'd tend to have a slightly lighter grape with turkey - currently drinking a nice "Beyond The River" Shiraz from SE Australia which would go nicely with it. Got ours from a local wine merchants (Davys) but I dare say its more widely available.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Being a lover of Malbec with our steaks on a Friday night, I was wondering whether to have red or white with our turkey dinner this Friday and looking for any recommendations.

Not been mentioned yet, but the obvious answer is BOTH!

White to get things going, then red afterwards.

You're welcome. ;)

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why does it have to be wine? Winds me up on shows like Saturday Kitchen when they always recommend wine, even for curries . Why not cider or a craft ale? Always trying to match wine is snobby and outdated IMO

Why do they never suggest blue nun or black tower to go with a meal?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Drink what you enjoy and dont worry too much about what the so called experts say you should pair with which food imho

If you like Malbec, have a Malbec

Me Ill be having a nice white Montagny with mine :)

This and just to add to it, when you go to a restaurant they bring you the wine list, you order the wine, then they bring you the menu. If it is so essential that wine goes with food. Should the menu not be the first to look at. Furthermore, if four folk order, Fish, steak, chicken and lamb and you are sharing a bottle. What do you order apart from what the women want.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Roast Turkey is, perhaps fortunately, one of the easiest foods to 'match' wine with - basically any flavour works!

So go for what you like best - though Xmas is THE time to break open 'special occasion' wines!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go with what you like.

I like German whites so virtually always go with a Mosel sometimes you will see it as Riesling Mosel to go with the starter so the beginning of the main course is with white as the bottle gets finished off I then switch to red as red is my daily preferred wine.

Blue Nun is a Mosel

My favourite use to be Deinhard Green Label but hard to find these days and has risen steeply in price as has most good German wine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm going to be toasting the turkey with a nice glass of chilled Nosecco - and once I'm done with that I intend to sup a bottle or two of Lucky Saint non-alc beer.