Wine With Turkey Dinner.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why does it have to be wine? Winds me up on shows like Saturday Kitchen when they always recommend wine, even for curries . Why not cider or a craft ale? Always trying to match wine is snobby and outdated IMO

Can't stand wine. All of it is awful.

I'll be washing down the turkey with this during Christmas lunch.
https://shop.northbrewing.com/colle...ale-ale-4-5-multi-pack?variant=32728908234827

I have a few other of their beers to wash down the rest of Christmas day.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
D

Deleted member 1147

i think the biggest mistake most people are making in this thread is talking about matching wine with turkey.

Turkey is one of the least powerful flavours on the plate. You would be better served to match to the gravy, stuffing, pigs in blanket etc - Claret is a beautiful accompaniment.

Personally I'm having a young Pommard from Burgundy - the acid will cut through the fatty elements and the red fruits will work with both the meat and the gravy etc.
Also, Pommard is generally more generous than most pinot noirs.
That said, we don't have turkey on Xmas day, but on Xmas Eve. I'll be having fillet of beef on Xmas day, as it takes less cooking. With that I'll have a Penfolds St Henri Shiraz.

However, you're best just to drink what you enjoy - I've had red wine with white fish, desert wines with starters and champagne with steaks. Good food and good wine go together one way or another, no matter what the pairing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like a nice German red, yes I did say German red. I obtained a liking for Trollinger when I worked in the Baden Wuttenburg area, I'm not a great red wine lover but I find it's fresh and fruity flavour goes well with most meals.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife doesn’t do whites but I like a Chablis or Chardonnay myself. I have been through the Malbecs and they are very nice, I believe in keeping the Argentines busy. The other ones that are well worth investigating are the Sangiovese- I spent a fortnight in the region and didn’t have a bad one ..
But we will have a Zinfandel with ours .. who knows if it will work .. who cares if it’s smooth then that’s fine.
A good Montagny is always worth your time.

Really sorry but having wine and curry for me is not right, has to be a beer of Indian origin or style. Cobra being my favourite and I like the green king Indian pale ale ...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I find both Stella and Peroni go well with anything if you start drinking them at midday......

I've been told eventually I'll enjoy wine, but that's yet to happen...

Have tried a few ales, but decided I'd rather enjoy my drink than the likes I get in social media for sharing the latest brew.

In short, drink your favourite drink.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I find both Stella and Peroni go well with anything if you start drinking them at midday......

I've been told eventually I'll enjoy wine, but that's yet to happen...

Have tried a few ales, but decided I'd rather enjoy my drink than the likes I get in social media for sharing the latest brew.

In short, drink your favourite drink.

You start on the Stella at midday???

You’ve lost a whole morning of drinking time mate!

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Andy Carpenter Champagne....it's the only one I like. Then switch to Turner Road Chardonnay (the best), then Mcguigans Chardonnay, then whatever gets opened after that.