Wind blows ball away from hole

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your approach shot has just made it up the slope on the green leaving you with a 3 foot putt, you mark it replace it and whilst walking around the green assessing your line a gust of wind moves your ball which takes off back down the slope ending up 50 feet away- what do you do ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tough Titties, play it where it ends up.

Or when you mark it, check your line then replace the ball when you are ready to putt.

There's a place up here called Fortrose and Rosemarkie.
A links course with fast greens on a spit of land right in the middle of the Moray Firth and its always windy there. Sometimes you have to run to the green to mark your ball before the wind blows it off the green :D

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your approach shot has just made it up the slope on the green leaving you with a 3 foot putt, you mark it replace it and whilst walking around the green assessing your line a gust of wind moves your ball which takes off back down the slope ending up 50 feet away- what do you do ?

The answer is not to pick up the marker until you are ready to putt.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

The answer is not to pick up the marker until you are ready to putt.

Just to clarify that only applies if you haven't replaced your ball. Once you have replaced your ball, if the wind moves the ball before you address it, it must be played from the new position even if you left your ball marker in place. Decision 20-4/1 Ball Replaced on Putting Green But Ball-Marker Not Removed; Ball Then Moves

"Q. A player replaces his ball on the putting green but does not remove his ball-marker. Subsequently the wind moves his ball to a new position. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 20-4, a ball is in play when it is replaced, whether or not the object used to mark its position has been removed. Consequently the ball must be played from the new position – see Decision 18-1/12."

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thanks Mashie/N thats the best answer, as I was wondering why he left the marker in place after replacing the ball.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks.

I just thought I'd check that on the R&A site as it was an interesting point and can easily happen. I do like looking up the Decisions as they don't always give the answer you expect, and it's good to see the reasoning behind how certain rules should apply in different situations.