Will Trumps Track Come Up Trumps?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sandy Jones remarking in this article that Trumps Aberdeen course could host both the Ryder Cup and The Open.......I for one can't wait to see if it is indeed going to be as good as promised but speaking to a guy when I was up that way in September he reckoned that the land it is going to be on is to die for in terms of building a golf course on.

By the way I like how they refer to Sandy Jones as 'Mrs Jones'!! :D

Trump's course could host Ryder Cup by 2022

One of the most influential men in golf has tipped Donald Trump's North-east resort to host a major international tournament like the Ryder Cup within a decade of opening.
Players will tee off at the US billionaire's Menie Estate championship course (12 miles north of Aberdeen) in 2012 and yesterday the site welcomed Professional Golfers Assocaition chief executive Sandy Jones.
Last night Scots-born Mrs Jones - who is a senior Ryder Cup board member - said the luxury Aberdeenshire complex should have "everything needed" to host the tournament or a similar global event by 2022.
"This is such a fantastic site. There are not many sites left in the world that are so close to the sea with such magnificent dunes and the traditional links land around it," he said.
"At the moment this is pretty unique - and it is only 20 minutes from a major international city.
"When the course is complete, this is no doubt in my mind - having seen the site this morning - that it will be one of the great golf courses in the world."
He added: "I can't see why this course would not hold a grteat tournament. Great tournaments are only great because they are played at great venues.
"It is clear to me that is is going to be a great venue - so you have the basis here for a great tournament. What you then need is the corporate support which Donald Trump can provide through his own business acumen and business contacts.]
"It has got all the the ingredients and another thing it has got is a great golfing opopulation to support it.
"Aberdeen is a golf-mad city. I remember once seeing 3,000 people watching two amateurs competing for a local links championship. No other place in the world would get a crowd like that for a city championshi0p.
"It would be a great place to bring a great tournament and the Americans wold love coming here.
Sandy Jones believes the Royal and Ancient would want to look at the course for a future Open championship venue, adding: "There are also other great events in the world, such as the World Golf Championships which attract all the top players in the Order of Merit.
"These are the targets that I think this course will attract and will want to host - and I think the people who organise them would want to be hosted at venues like this because it will open up a whole new audience.
"I'll be amazed if there is not a really major world event here within a decade."
Mr Trump's plan to build two golf courses, a £250million hotel, 950 holiday homes and 500 houses has already been backed by Aberdeenshire Council.
Sarah Malone, executive vice-president of Trump International in Scotland, said: "We are building this golf course with an international event in mind."

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He will probably get an event just because of the name, but his other courses are over hyped. He is basically a bulls****er and egomaniac. If The Open Championship goes there in my lifetime, I will give up eat my golf bag.

I played Trump National LA, a course Trump reckons is better than Pebble Beach and which had a series of The Big Break from the US Golf Channel on it.

It is expensive, but basically no more than a decent otherwise unremarkable course shoehorned into a site that is just not big enough for it.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Money talks Alan ,am afraid thats what the Ryder Cup or any major sporting event is all about these days,but will it be as good as they say?

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agreed, there's no way he'll see an Open, at least not while he is still alive.

The Ryder Cup of course is more than possible, if they can host it on the 2010 course, then they could have it anywhere, and money talks with the Ryder Cup, so he could easily buy that, although it would entail a quick return to Scotland, which may be a bit harder.

The Scottish Open could also be a real possibility.

It is a great bit of land right enough, though barely 2 miles out of Aberdeen, not the twelve in the article. It's basically a continuation of the Royal Aberdeen, Murcar strip of land, although better than where Murcar sits imo.

T

thecraw

I'll buck the trend and say he will get an Open, money talks, the Open rota needs to expand and I'm sure this is all part of his plan for a golf course in "Scotchland"!

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Lets hope he can deliver a course worthy of all the hype but no doubt "money talks" which is why the 2014 Ryder Cup will be held on the 4th best course in Auchterader...so yes he'll host something.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm doubtful it'll get an Open course if they decide to change the rota but think a Ryder Cup would be a possibility. What would the infrastructure be like both into the course for crowds and getting them round in vast numbers. It's one thing having a great course but if they can't accommodate the crowds within the venue comfortably (plus media centre, tented village, practice facilities etc) then it may be a no go

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd prefer to see the open at Royal County Down or back at Portrush. They say infastructure is an issue, but if it can be played at Trumps gaff North of Aberdeen, why cant it go back to Norn Ireland ?? Given the recent success of Irish golf, I think it would be fitting.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd prefer to see the open at Royal County Down or back at Portrush. They say infastructure is an issue, but if it can be played at Trumps gaff North of Aberdeen, why cant it go back to Norn Ireland ?? Given the recent success of Irish golf, I think it would be fitting.
"North of Aberdeen" is just two miles out of the city, and from the airport you wouldn't have to go through the city either, you're not comparing like with like.

On golfing merit though, I agree with you that Trump should be a long way down the list however good the course turns out. Give him the RC or Scottish Open, but not the Open.

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
His course looks like it will be terrific, but I doubt The R&A will be moved to add him into the Rota for The Open, doesnt seem like their style to bow to brash money.

Seeing as the current chat about The Scottish Open is relevant, I'd like to see a mini rota of courses for that (Castle Stuart,Renaissance,Trump,KingsBarns & Dundonald) None of them will ever get a 'Major' (Ryder Cup is too late in the year to play in Aberdeen imo) but all meet the requirement of Barclays for links type courses.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is anyone aware that he's already sacked his head greenkeeper? Supposed to be related to him refusing to carry out orders to construct a huge mound in front of one of the protester's houses. I only heard about this on Saturday.

From the local paper, the Press and Journal.

"Donald Trump has sacked his greenkeeper before laying a single green at his north-east golf resort.

Paul O’Connor was taken on by Trump International Golf Links Scotland nearly a year ago, tasked with helping transform the Menie Estate, near Balmedie, Aberdeenshire, into a premier golfing development.

But it is understood that the 43-year-old was dismissed last week.

Mr O’Connor previously worked at Carnoustie and was credited with helping the Angus course attract the Open in 1999 and 2007.

It is understood that he was hired by Neil Hobday, who left his consultant’s post with the Trump Organisation in May after five years steering the project through the planning process.

Last night Mr O’Connor refused to discuss his reasons for leaving, but a spokeswoman for the Trump Organisation said he had left for “personal and family reasons”.

Meanwhile, David Milne, who is one of several homeowners who has refused to sell his land to make way for the golf resort development, recently met with planning officials from Aberdeenshire Council after a 100ft by 20ft mound of earth appeared behind his house at Hermit Point.

He believes that Mr Trump ordered the earth to be dumped by his house in an attempt to intimidate him.

Mr Milne said: “As far as I’m concerned this is merely another act of intimidation but it doesn’t intimidate me in the slightest.”

But Sarah Malone, executive vice-president of Trump International in Scotland, dismissed Mr Milne’s claims and said they were just getting on with the “business of building”.

“Unfortunately David Milne appears unable to come to terms with the reality that a major golf and leisure development is being built around his property.

“No one is being intimidated – we are merely getting on with the business of building.

“The landowners in the vicinity know that they are now living in the middle of a very large construction site and work will only increase over the coming years.

“The stockpiling of soil in our agricultural fields is a necessary part of the golf course construction process for which we have full planning permission.”