Will the belly putter become the standard?

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I read that too that the USGA were going to take a look. Not sure what they will come up with and anything they do will likely be 2-3 years away from implementing at least?

I used to have a belly putter in the bag - was doing well with it and for some reason changed. I've dabbled a couple of times about going back to one and as and when I have some spare £ kicking about I probably will.

I've got an old putter that I was going to give to the Pro and see if he'd lengthen it. I see the grip I'd want available at a reasonable price from Gamola golf. I assume it must be reasonably easy for the Pro to do the rest?

I'm not sure about it becoming the standard but I do think more and more will at least give it a try, even if only for a tournament or two.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem is only going to get worse. The longer the USGA and R&A do nothing the more pros will use them. As others have said they have been able to take action over drivers and wedges and so why not introduce a maximum length shaft or introduce a rule banning the anchoring of the club

S

Snelly

I sincerely hope they do get banned. Totally out of order to use one in my view. Even if it is legal. It is against the "spirit of the game" as the cliche goes.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i read on golfweek that the USGA and R&A are looking in to the situation. i dont think their looking to ban the butters but ban the anchoring to the body. everyone says its too late to ban them but does everyone forget that the changed the groves on wedges?? so why cant they change the way these putters are used??

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use a belly putter and I would never change back unless forced to. I'll admit it has changed my game and added consistency to my putting however unlike some I find it better for the long putts rather than the short ones.

I like the way some people take the moral high ground, however given that anybody can use one what right do you have to complain when you can choose to play with one or without one?

I don't use hybrids but you won't hear me complaining about somebody who chooses to use them because he can't hit a wood off the fairway ;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I don't use hybrids but you won't hear me complaining about somebody who chooses to use them because he can't hit a wood off the fairway ;)

I like that……….it doesn’t make any sense or have any relevance whatsoever, but I like it.

Oh, I don’t put my hybrid against my body when I hit it and I use my hybrid instead of my 3 iron.

The real point is anchoring the putter against your body as well as griping it with two hands.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tommo

The point is we all have 14 clubs that we can choose to put in the bag with choose being the key word.

Some people are quoting it's morally incorrect, against the principles of the game, totally unfair, however they forget that we live in the year 2012 and the game has evolved.

Recently there was a post regarding the introduction of a standard conforming competition ball, how far do we have to ruin what is a simple and for most of us, a very enjoyable game?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But if someone found a new way to hold a driver, anchoring it in some way, or pivoting in circles like a discus thrower, that made average drives 500 yards, don't you think they would ban it? Much like they banned hogans putting stroke?

Banning anchoring the putter could well be a next step.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope that I will never resort to using one, that said they appear to be within the rules at present so people will use them if there is a perceived benifit to them. Equipment doesnt automatically improve your game you have to work with it to get better. Trends come and go, we've all seen plenty of equipment that has come and gone + others which are here to stay, will the belly putter be in the latter group, I don't know.

T

thecraw

Ernie Els said............as long as it's legal, I'll cheat with the rest of them.

Christ I think Ernie must have said that tongue firmly in cheek, he's probably the worst user of a belly putter that I've seen - EVER.

Only player on tour who's putting has got worse since changing!!!!!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can believe Swinger has changed from the beautiful bronzed finish Scotty to a saucepan on a scaffold pole !!:mad:

He has about 100 putters apparently (may be slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect) and can switch between them.

I agree though, the Scotty he has is a thing of beauty. The Mizzy Bettinardi thing he has looks ok, but doesn't pale in comparison.