Will the belly putter become the standard?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's you we are alluding to, I was going to ask you to the invitation day at my club, but am now looking for someone else.

I realise that belly putters are a bit of a taboo among our golfing brethren here but I consider myself more of a Luke Skywalker than a Darth Vader. I don't consider myself to be part of the dark side but I feel I have a greater understanding from my indiscretions.
More of a moonlighter than a convert.

I hope we can still be friends Murph! :(

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Too late to ban them now.

They have become very popular in US college golf, hence they will increase massively also in the pro ranks in years to come.

I demoed one and there is no doubt it is easier to use for the shorter putts. Not so keen on it for longer (>30 feet) putts, though.

Tell me why it's too late.......many,many drivers got a ban. Not that I want to see them banned....I'm now trying one myself, not very good so far.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If they don't ban them then the long putter will become the norm within 5 years, certainly at Pro level.

It's not too late to ban them. As Tommo said, they banned a load of drivers a few years back and a load of wedges too.
They could bring in a length limit of 36 inches for a putter.........

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I realise that belly putters are a bit of a taboo among our golfing brethren here but I consider myself more of a Luke Skywalker than a Darth Vader. I don't consider myself to be part of the dark side but I feel I have a greater understanding from my indiscretions.

Of course.

Any way, the way things are going I might have 14 of them in the bag by then.

A

Alex1975

I think I would quite like to have a go on one for a few rounds, or practice sessions.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

And to be fair, you were nailing a number of putts with it on Saturday. I was suitably impressed.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Question for you gentlemen. Are you allowed to adjust your club during play? For example these adjustable drivers can you change your loft/lie settings between holes? I only ask because if you can I can see a putter entering the market where you screw the top to extend into your belly for short putts and push back down for longer ones :eek:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question for you gentlemen. Are you allowed to adjust your club during play? For example these adjustable drivers can you change your loft/lie settings between holes? I only ask because if you can I can see a putter entering the market where you screw the top to extend into your belly for short putts and push back down for longer ones :eek:

No. HTH ;)