Will the belly putter become the standard?

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
I was having a look at statistics last night and in the last 2 years the belly putter went up 500% in the PGA and more than 300% in the European tour. McIlroy was interviewed yesterday and said he's currently practicing with one to see if it can get in his bag.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was thinking about this yesterday and I don't know of anyone at my club who uses either of the long putters. I don't think they will ever become the standard and I think I read something yesterday that the USGA were "looking" at them again.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too late to ban them now.

They have become very popular in US college golf, hence they will increase massively also in the pro ranks in years to come.

I demoed one and there is no doubt it is easier to use for the shorter putts. Not so keen on it for longer (>30 feet) putts, though.

T

thecraw

Too late to ban them now.

They have become very popular in US college golf, hence they will increase massively also in the pro ranks in years to come.

I demoed one and there is no doubt it is easier to use for the shorter putts. Not so keen on it for longer (>30 feet) putts, though.

Sensible reply, they are only used by people who practice with them and master them. They don't automatically make you a great putter. Look at Phil, Westwood and Sergio. They've all tried and sacked them.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played with a guy at our place that uses one, he is off +3, I thought he was a good putter with a short stick.
during the round I got chatting, to another member of the 4 ball, he had played with him in the ulster scratch foursomes (i think it was) that they won, and he was telling me that with the introduction of the belly putter the fella had become even more consistant, and his putting had gotten even better. We also discussed the influx of said putters into us college teams, and believe that the coaches are encouraging players to use them, no matter how good they are with the short stick, hence the huge increase. There must have some scientific insight into the benefits of them I guess.
Its a shame, as I believe they are non comforming based on the fact that they are anchored into the body increasing stabaility, I was under the impression that this was not allowed, however I guess I have been mis informed.
I agree with Ethan that it is too late to ban them, but who knows.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I use a belly putter and my regular partner uses a full length putter.

They are legal so until they arn't I shall continue to use one as I miss less short putts

Chris

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it a matter of time before we see a pro with 2 putters in the bag? Short for the long putts and the belly for the shorter ones?
Me personally I don't like em,I tried early doors but was never really sure how to use one,the teaching pro's don't really know how to teach the belly putting method round here.

D

Deleted member 1418

I agree.... might get one myself though.... just for messing about... you understand :whistle:
I think you should try using a standard, adult size putter first though instead of the child one you currently have in the bag! Might actually see you contributing a bit more in better ball matches..........................!!

D

Deleted member 1418

I have found that I can comfortably anchor my standard 35" Odyssey into my belly anyway!

tmorrissyswan

Club Champion
Visit site
I have seen one in my life. That was my 85 year old grandfather who can't bend over. I think they wont become the norm for a long time.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's a 'better' way of getting the ball in the hole then it'll become standard. If it isn't a better way of getting the ball in the hole then it wont.

I'm apathetic about the whole thing :)