Wigtownshire County & Lagganmore

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a great two night/ 3 day golf trip to Portpatrick, place I was first introduced to through sailing. Unfortunately we were unable to get on Portpatrick GC Dunskey course (Full Membership £340 per annum !!!) due to them hosting the Scottish Senior Ladies Championships - oh well, it gives me an excuse to get back down their again in the future.

Played two courses whilst we were down there:

Wigtownshire County - Links course on the side of Luce Bay, 6104 of the whites, 5829 from the yellows. Not as tough a challenge as some links courses I have played in the past. On a fair number of holes the rough wasn't that punishing, mind you it was very dry, presumably in the wet it would be a different story. Additionally, miss the fairway by too much and there is more than enough gorse to catch you out.
4,5,6 are on the shore of the bay itself (the shore itself being OOB) - seeing as the real danger is all on the right, and having been known to slice a few, these concentrated the mind wonderfully, especially the 528 yard 6th.

9/10/11 are not great, they seem to have been crammed in at the far end of the course and don't really seem to fit. 12 is an interesting dog leg right of 368 from an elevated tee, the inside of the dog leg is OOB but could be tempting to the big hitters.

The course is in great nick, the greens are lush, in fantastic condition, uniform but not as fast as you might expect. Green fees are £29 per round - £25 if you are staying at certain hotels.

Lagganmore - Loved this course and cant understand why it was empty. The only people on the course were HID and I and a fourball of guys on holiday from Cambridge - and that was it!

5698 off the whites, 5376 off the yellows.
The course is in excellent condition especially considering they currently have only one greenkeeper. Greens are immaculate and uniform. Don't be put off by the pink clubhouse (DCB - I know you warned me but I didn't realise just how pink you meant!)

The course has a great number of holes that use the lie of the land fantastically well, a (merciful) few unfortunately don't and are making up the 18.

Have to disagree with DCB regarding the 7th - i really liked it. 494 (yellows), drive is uphill to reach a plateau with a second marker pole to guide you once up their, My second put me in a position to see the top of the flag only and i lazily punched a 7 iron down there. From my ball position however I couldn't see the burn guarding the front and right of the green!
9 is a 128 par three to a green with very little depth, burn guarding the front and right, thick trees and shrubs to the left and a stone wall to the rear.
Favourite hole has to be the 17th, elevated tee position driving into what appears to be an impossibly tight fairway bordered by heavy gorse on both sides - the landing area is actually fairly generous to the right but you can's see this from the tee. Scary buggy ride down to play your approach (blind) this shot for me was about 140 yards and only a 9 iron to find the green which is well below you - you can walk forward to the 'cliff' edge to get a good look at your target (and then another scary buggy ride!)

Excellent course, green fee £15 if staying at certain hotels in the area. The lagganmore itself is a hotel but clearly struggling for clientel at the moment which is a great shame. The hotel itself could probably do with a bit of a refurb but the course is great.

For a lads golf holiday it would be superb - it's currently £200 for a four night midweek stay, that's dinner, bed and breakfast and unlimited golf, you only pay extra for your buggy if you want one - stunning value I think. Definitely a course I would play again.

For those people who have used Portpatrick as a base previously, the Harbour House has had a major overhaul and is now superb compared to how it was previously - great menu and superb food/ service.