WiFi

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all,

My Internet connection/speed is crap, one min its OK next its crap.
Somebody mentioned a WiFi super booster? Anyone know anything about these? What model to get? Or anything else I can try?
I can't remember having these issues when I was young with my Zx 48k Spectrum.

Cheers

Midnight. ..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You need to find out WHY your connection/speed is 'crap'. Until you do that, there are just too many 'opportunities' for slow speeds.

Firstly, try Speedtest to check connection speed.

2nd, assuming you are using a computer to connect, try wired access.

Oh and before you do any of those.....turn your modem/hub off for 20 secs, then back on (making sure you know the password!). That often clears some jams! And I must do that as it has been a while. Worth doing every fortnight/whenever things slow!

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How many units are connected. Turn them all off bar one that you'll use to run a test. Then add em back in: you might find your Sky box, TV and other stuff is running in the background and hogging the bandwidth.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
It might be nothing to do with the wifi - your internet line may be slow. As Foxholer says, try a network cable direct from your computer to your router - if you get much better performance then your wifi is the bottleneck.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice so far. Ref computer we don't have one, so everything is on WiFi. Bar turning everything off is there anyway of making connections better., I think there are probably around 8 things running of it. Also bear in mind Im thick as crap when it comes to tech.

Cheers

Midnight...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's advice so far. Ref computer we don't have one, so everything is on WiFi. Bar turning everything off is there anyway of making connections better., I think there are probably around 8 things running of it. Also bear in mind Im thick as crap when it comes to tech.

Cheers

Midnight...

:eek:
Are you running a small village?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Assuming there are no problems with the line and its a pure internal wifi issue.

Is it worse when at certain times, ie you are watching Sky (do you have SkyQ?) and the kids are on xbox etc?

Who is your provider? i assume its their standard box you have fitted. Where is it in the house? Have you changed anything recently? added something new to the airwaves, a smart doorbell, new microwave, smart speaker etc?

Do you live close to neigbours, ie in a flat or terrace, or is your gaff away? you can get frequency clashes with next door etc...

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So many variables and possible causes.

Whos is your internet with and what service/speed are you paying for? What modem are you using and where is it situated? Is your house standard 2 storeys, solid brick or cavity walls?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that could be your problem.
Try testing your speed on a tablet with everything else turned off then turn things back on one at a time, and test the speed each time.
I use this site to test the speed, nice an simple.
https://www.speedtest.net/

Hope this helps

I sometimes (quite often) have broadband issues in my garden office. I connect using TP-Link across the power supply. Now - at this very moment it seems to be OK - using speedtest I am getting 24mbps download (connected 'wired' into the TP-Link adapter). But I have no idea if that's rubbish, OK or good.

In the house I often have issues with the TV in our front room - again it is connected using TP-Link. At times my Sky Box tells me I need broadband to get such as Sky Catch-Up and Sky Box Sets (both of which are currently working OK) - and that is with the broadband plugged into the box.

At other times my TV cannot tune into any HD channels - and again that seems to be a broadband issue - but may be a Sky Box issue as that problem seems to be sorted if I plug broadband directly into the TV rather have it fed via the Sky Box. But it may be coincidence.

And with the TV - to totally confuse me - when I can't find HD channels and broadband is via the Sky Box I can still connect to Netflix and Youtube - so wired broadband into the TV from the SkyBox must be working - unless it isn't and the TV is connecting wirelessly without me realising.

All far to baffling for a technotard such as I.

Last edited:

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Assuming there are no problems with the line and its a pure internal wifi issue.

Is it worse when at certain times, ie you are watching Sky (do you have SkyQ?) and the kids are on xbox etc?

Who is your provider? i assume its their standard box you have fitted. Where is it in the house? Have you changed anything recently? added something new to the airwaves, a smart doorbell, new microwave, smart speaker etc?

Do you live close to neigbours, ie in a flat or terrace, or is your gaff away? you can get frequency clashes with next door etc...

It can be pretty crap when listening to music on sky. Any music streaming is very patchy. We are with sky and have sky q box, they gave us some sort of booster which is in the front room..

We are in a semi detached house, so have neighbours quite close. Our Internet connection has always been slow, but now I seem to notice the issues more mate.

U

User62651

Is the router plugged into the primary BT landline portal in the house ( the one that takes the BT signal in from outside) and not via some internal phone extension cable to another room?

My wifi played up a while ago, BT guy came round and reconfigured the BT box on the skirting and told me to avoid above, works much more reliably with faster speeds now even with me linking router to tv via wireless TP links now, when it was hard wired tv to router before.