Why stiff, why regular, why…?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s so many things we take for granted, and although I don’t know the answer, why stiff etc?

There’s a perception that stiff is for those with a quick swing speed, and maybe that’s the right answer, but bear with me. If you have a quick swing speed but almost always get the timing right, why not a regular for that extra bit of whip sending the ball further? Equally, if you have a slow swing speed but the timing is all over the place sacrificing distance/using a stiff shaft to hit the fairway might be the right answer…

Extra bit of whip might send the ball higher and/or impart too much spin. Equally, too stiff might not get the ball up in the air or impart the optimal spin. In some respects, loft will counter some of the launch angle issue and shaft type might sort the spin issue.

But what are the criteria for choosing the right shaft, and why the age old quick swing - stiff shaft etc?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally speaking, a softer shaft will release too soon if swung too fast sending the ball left.
A stiff shaft needs to be swung faster either wise the face won't square up in time, sending the ball right

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Generally speaking, a softer shaft will release too soon if swung too fast sending the ball left.
A stiff shaft needs to be swung faster either wise the face won't square up in time, sending the ball right

I get that bit, and that’s how it’s always been explained but isn’t it about timing too. If you know you need to aim a bit right, not loads, won‘t you benefit from more whip in terms of distance? Then, as I said, it becomes more about launch angle and spin rate.

Not saying you’re wrong Bob, just wondered if there’s a trade off to be had that could be ‘got away with’ providing the player had a consistent swing speed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simple answer has normally been swing with softest shaft with which you can still retain control of direction.

I am with bobmac as far as my swing is concerned - too stiff and I block right - too soft- and I hook left.

Last fitting I had I was recommended to go with stiff despite being in my 70s as it it also about how you load a shaft.

D

Deleted member 29109

I can’t remember where I saw it, maybe TXG. But there can also be a problem with a softer shaft not releasing if swung too fast causing a block.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve been fitted a few times and require stiff, relatively light shafts. I’ve played with S300s and they are like iron bars. Horrid. My driver is a pretty meaty shaft for my size, and I like it cos I feel like I can give it the full beans without losing the clubhead.

My (2008 I think) 4 hybrid is a regular shaft. I like that it puts me in a mentally more controlled situation, I’ll never go all out on it because I know I can’t. I can draw it or hit it straight, goes high, lands soft. Not long, only 185, but it does a job nothing else in my bag is doing and it would be pointless to upgrade to a more modern, stiff shaft for extra yards. If the target is farther away I’ll use my 2 iron.

One situation of many I’m sure where people have a mix in their bags for different reasons. I wouldn’t feel corralled into a specific group just because. You have options. Play around a bit ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I get that bit, and that’s how it’s always been explained but isn’t it about timing too. If you know you need to aim a bit right, not loads, won‘t you benefit from more whip in terms of distance? Then, as I said, it becomes more about launch angle and spin rate.

Not saying you’re wrong Bob, just wondered if there’s a trade off to be had that could be ‘got away with’ providing the player had a consistent swing speed.

I'm sure I read somewhere that a few of the long drive chaps are using senior flex shafts in their drivers for the reasons you ask ie more whip. But I can't actually seem to find anything to link to.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I sometimes play with a fairly large hefty lad who has a very slow swing speed.
He's around 18 H/C
He had been playing with Mizuno irons in a regular shift, he told me he had been fitted for new iron by the local pro & was getting Ping G425's in a stiff shaft.
I thought to myself, blimey that's a mistake, no way does he swing fast enough for a stiff shift.
Fast forward a few weeks, I'm out playing with him & he's playing like a hero with his new irons.
He kept it up for all 18 holes & was loving his new bats.
So what do I know?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The shaft is a timing device.
It gets the face of the club to the ball at all the correct angles at the right time to produce respectable launch, spin and trajectory.
Weight is possibly more important than flex and length plays a part too.
Tip soft or stiff, balance point, overall flex profile...there are so many variables and one shaft may work well with one head but awfully with another
Finding the combo that is the most consistent at delivering the clubhead while maintaining the desired feel isn't easy
Lots say that the shaft doesn't matter and in some respects is doesn't - see the film. 2 very different shafts producing similar numbers
But that's for that player. Put someone else in the bay and those numbers could be chalk and cheese.
And while the soft shaft might produce similar results it may not produce the same feel which translates into confidence
And we all know what confidence does for a golf game.

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it face control that a shaft should assist with, not swing swing.

I suppose that’s the point of a custom fitting. A good fitter should figure out what shaft suits you, so fitting the person doing the hitting not just putting a set of numbers together to get an answer.

Other things to consider are kick points and grip thickness, both of which can affect the swing, face control and therefore impact.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

All based on the assumption that everything else is solid and consistent within the swing tho…

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm sure I read somewhere that a few of the long drive chaps are using senior flex shafts in their drivers for the reasons you ask ie more whip. But I can't actually seem to find anything to link to.
Some of them do, but they aren't needing to keep every drive in play. Some of them spray it all over the show!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd say it depends on your action as you're coming in to impact.

It was common many years ago for drivers and brassies to have whippy shafts and to play stiffer shafts in your irons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whenever I have been for fittings I am on the cusp of R/S in terms of swing speed but always feel uncomfortable with S shafts so ended up getting my R shafts hard stepped to give them a tiny bit more rigidty

Jason.H

Visit site
I tried a few different shafts and found the S300 105 gives me a nice ball flight and I like the weight. With the regulars I tried I lost accuracy.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Club fitting has to follow the myth that shafts are different. Its a key part of the sell. Admitting shafts make no difference would cut off a club fitting arm, and eliminate a critical upselling income source.

RichA

Visit site
Steel shafts all feel the same to me and the results are indistinguishable.
Graphite shafts the difference is huge - regular gives the feeling of being like a length of garden hose.

Visit site
My takeaway from my fitting was that the weight, rather than flex, had a more significant impact on my ability to strike the ball and generate efficiency.

When I went to 110gram+, I lost all consistency, 105 was the sweet spot. I have regular flex, because I don’t “load”the shaft much. If I 100% commit to a swing, a stiff would be fine but I don’t swing like that on the course.
In the end, I got Project X IO regs and the fitting is perfect for me.

The most harmful thing you can do is have shafts that are too heavy or stiff and I think due to vanity, a lot of people have chosen super heavy and stiff/x-stiff when it’s unlikely to be ideal.