Why problem with driver and not long irons?

tobybarker

Visit site
I'm happy with my irons, straight (usually) and no fade or draw really. However with a driver I get a lot of high slices. What might it be about the longer club that brings that about?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver swing and iron swing are normally totally different. Driver you have the ball well forward in stance and hit up on it, whereas with irons it's nearer the middle of the stance and you strike downwards. Also the less loft you have on the club, the more pronounced a slice will appear.

tobybarker

Visit site
Driver swing and iron swing are normally totally different. Driver you have the ball well forward in stance and hit up on it, whereas with irons it's nearer the middle of the stance and you strike downwards. Also the less loft you have on the club, the more pronounced a slice will appear.
True, but I'm wondering what it is about the club that makes me swing out to in....is it purely the length, I wonder?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm happy with my irons, straight (usually) and no fade or draw really. However with a driver I get a lot of high slices. What might it be about the longer club that brings that about?

2 things make it the hardest to hit in practical terms, then the mental side of it been a driver may come in.

1. Shaft length

A longer shaft puts more of a torque on you challenging your balance, encouraging you to swing longer and magnifying errors. Club fitters look at the distance between c7 and the butt of the club in the down swing. Those who increase that gap early tend to slice and chop and struggle to handle longer shafts.

2. Loft or lack therof, sidespin has more effect due to lower backspin is a good way of thinking about it. Though it might be slightly more correct to say the tilt of the axis of spin gets altered unfavourably for a golfer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a good iron player but average at best with driver.
It’s two kinds of swing and I have always had a -4 aoa , this makes driving erratic.
But minus aoa is perfect for irons.
Olazabal had the same problem and he wasn’t to bad.
Check your aoa it might surprise you.

tobybarker

Visit site
It’s two kinds of swing and I have always had a -4 aoa , this makes driving erratic.
Thanks. I don't have access to a swing monitor thingy but I'll work on flattening the driving path

IronSwing

Visit site
Sorry for sneaking in this discussion, I just recently started to playing golf. Does anyone know what's the best place to practice long irons? My friend invited me to play and I don't want to embarrass myself :<

Link removed

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site
That pretty much describes my golf game. Iron play right through the bag is good can still even hit a good 2 iron, driving is erratic indeed, I've tried AoA drills but end up struggling elsewhere and end up getting to flat and more erratic. Have accepted now that my driving will never be a strong point

tobybarker

Visit site
Sorry for sneaking in this discussion, I just recently started to playing golf. Does anyone know what's the best place to practice long irons? My friend invited me to play and I don't want to embarrass myself :<
A driving range is the most likely place

Last edited by a moderator:

tobybarker

Visit site
That pretty much describes my golf game. Iron play right through the bag is good can still even hit a good 2 iron, driving is erratic indeed, I've tried AoA drills but end up struggling elsewhere and end up getting to flat and more erratic. Have accepted now that my driving will never be a strong point
I wouldn't say I've fully sorted it out now, but I can hit pretty straight now...check your setup position, and stay behind the ball at impact. Still not terribly long: longest drive today was 261 yds, though 225 is more usual.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have bought a PINg g400 Max.
Got my attack to zero , massive difference

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry for sneaking in this discussion, I just recently started to playing golf. Does anyone know what's the best place to practice long irons? My friend invited me to play...and I don't want to embarrass myself :<
Find somewhere nice and cold, like Scotland at this time of year, and play as many premium courses there as you can!

Wolf

Visit site
I have bought a PINg g400 Max.
Got my attack to zero , massive difference
Got my fitting of my M5 done by TaylorMade tour player fitter courtesy of GM, got the spin numbers spot on, shaft spot in and weights set to have club face slightly open at address. Has hugely improved my driving distance and accuracy but sometimes those old habits creep in

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got my fitting of my M5 done by TaylorMade tour player fitter courtesy of GM, got the spin numbers spot on, shaft spot in and weights set to have club face slightly open at address. Has hugely improved my driving distance and accuracy but sometimes those old habits creep in
Yes my aoa was -4 because I moved my weight laterly left on my transition.
So big push or hook ,just staying still has me driving the ball great.
One lesson is all it took, once you see it it’s o obvious.