Why do my putts 'clunk'?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
None of my putts feel a solid contact and very inconsistent, however, if I try kack handed it's a very satisfying solid strike with a good sound, not the clunk and vibration that I get with standard grip, so what's occurring and how do I get that solid putt without having to putt kack handed?

Scotty_Tom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with putting left below right, i have done for years with good results. all down to you though and whatever you are comfortable with!

As for the clunk and inconsistant feel, could you get griping it too loose / light? causing vibrations? or is your stroke comming offline (inside or out) causing the ball to come off the heel or toe?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thinking about it (I never stop, is that normal!) I wonder if I'm letting the putter head overtake the hands slightly thereby only the leading edge is making contact with the ball- Like you state murph- not keen on a forward press and if kack handed gets a solid strike then maybe concentrating on the hands staying ahead and 'pushing' out towards the hole might work? very frustrating as a clunked lag put will be 8 feet short sometimes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've said it before, one of the best £20 I spent was a 30 minute putting lesson. Sorted out my alignment issues (thought I was aiming properly and square - clearly not) and we neutralised my grip and worked on a should not arm motion. Much more solid now and fancy my chances over most 4-6 footers

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check your ball position. I like it to be in line with my left armpit so that when my arms are hanging down the ball sits naturally infront of the putter face. The average putter has around 4 deg of loft so to respect this the putter should be contacting the ball just as the shaft is vertical. If it is leaning back then it will be lifting into impact, adding loft and the leading edge will impact the ball high up. This may be creating the 'Clunk' and poor impact.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Check your ball position. I like it to be in line with my left armpit so that when my arms are hanging down the ball sits naturally infront of the putter face. The average putter has around 4 deg of loft so to respect this the putter should be contacting the ball just as the shaft is vertical. If it is leaning back then it will be lifting into impact, adding loft and the leading edge will impact the ball high up. This may be creating the 'Clunk' and poor impact.

as I suspected in post #4, its also a 3 degree putter which doesnt help