Why did you start playing golf?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dad had played and during the school holidays in summer 1976 booked me for 5 x 1 hour lessons for kids at Sandown Park Golf Centre. After that he got me junior membership at Wimbledon Common and I worked hard and turned out as a junior was half decent

D

Deleted member 18588

I still don't know.

For my 21st my parents were going to buy me a decent camera but on the day we were going to buy it I saw an ad in the Daily Express for a mail order company who "Due to a cancelled export order" were selling half sets of golf clubs. (Turned out they were Mizuno Silver Cup)

Why on earth I said to my Dad that I would rather have these than a camera I do not know as, aside from the odd pitch and putt with some mates, I had no connection with or experience of the game.

All it took was one or two vaguely respectable strikes in the fields next door and I was hooked.

That will be 50 years ago next month and I still remember the buzz of those first half-decent shots.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dad was an estate secretary down in Herefordshire and the "Tied house " came with an acre of garden and my older brother with dad built a 9 hole pitch and putt which we used to play when i was around 10. dabbled a bit bigger pitch and putts and very occasional round of 18 , Coleford being the first.
Used to play cricket every other weekend due to work in Herefordshire so when we moved to Shropshire said to first wife I'll stop playing cricket now and take up golf as it wont take so long :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: . Well that went well but now on wife no2 and she plays a round a bit :love:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
A/ I was told that as you get older your balls get smaller, so it was a natural progression....

B/ Too old to fight anymore at the Bridge, so needed something else more refined to do at w'ends.....

C/ Invited to a Charity Golf Day, got the bug, the rest is history.......

D/ Banned from everything else, still hanging on with this.......

I'll let you decide :unsure:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had one on the second hole at Lee Park . Only one I have had.
Started playing due to footy injury.
Shift worker so had lots of time.
My neighbour was a 4 capper at Huyton and Prescot and he showed me the correct way from day one.
First official Handicap was 6 still off 6 now after 35yrs I just love playing and being out in the open.

Its a tough hole to club the second. It always seems to play at least 1 club longer, as I think you dont feel any wind on the tee, but you feel it as you walk halfway down it, if any about.

That hole was my closest to getting one previously, somehow my ball ended up 2 inches past the cup and dead centre, must have went halfway down when lipping out but just stayed up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a tough hole to club the second. It always seems to play at least 1 club longer, as I think you dont feel any wind on the tee, but you feel it as you walk halfway down it, if any about.

That hole was my closest to getting one previously, somehow my ball ended up 2 inches past the cup and dead centre, must have went halfway down when lipping out but just stayed up.
I hit 8iron had quite a audience as well fourball on 17 th green stopped to watch.
I was a member there for 25 yrs until I moved to Grange.
Went back to play last year , course has changed it was in really good nick .
Johns done a brilliant job on the greens.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Always fancied golf but once a year (probably mid April) in early twenties me and a mate would head to range, be useless give up. Was decent enough and a few other sports so didn’t give it much thought. Then on my 30th I played a round with my in laws who delighted in battering me. The stick the6 gave me in the clubhouse afterwards made me promise not to quit til I beat em. Took about a year to do em on stableford, a further 6 months fir scratch. We no longer play, well bro in law occasionally but along with cluedo and other games. It appears they’re sore losers.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
A/ I was told that as you get older your balls get smaller, so it was a natural progression....

B/ Too old to fight anymore at the Bridge, so needed something else more refined to do at w'ends.....

C/ Invited to a Charity Golf Day, got the bug, the rest is history.......

D/ Banned from everything else, still hanging on with this.......

I'll let you decide :unsure:

E/ All of the above ??

Chico84

Visit site
My grandfather played but I’d always thought it was a difficult sport to get into and most of my time was spent playing football as a kid anyway. When I was in scouts we would use to get a load of golf clubs in when we held a jumble sale a couple of times a year. This was usually accompanied by a few carrier bags of golf balls. Duly, we would head to the field and try and hit them as far as we could with very limited success and no ambition to actually play the game. This progressed to. Few trips to the driving range, but again, it was more to hit as far as possible and with no technique or proper swing to speak of.

Starting work I wondered if perhaps it was a sport I should take up but worried about the time commitment to get good at it and to be honest I didn’t really know where to start. I played a short round with a friend of mine and hit a few on shots but I was intimidated by the formality of the club and the costs associated with it.

Just under a year ago work held a golf day and I went along with my old ‘jumble sale special’ of a 9 degree driver with a stiff shaft, 2 wood, 3 wood, two 5 woods, 7 wood, a 3 iron from probably the 1950s, a 5 iron, 8 iron and SW from a set and another random PW. I did treat myself to a new putter from the shop at the range though as I only had one of those pitch and putt riveted together ones. I wasn’t great but I didn’t disgrace myself either and realised that I wasn’t far behind people who I would have considered ‘proper’ golfers. I was working part time so had a bit of time to look at taking up the game properly. A friend had recently started a beginners course at the local range and recommended it to me so I started a set of lessons, got the bug, spent money on a new set of irons, started playing more regularly and am loving it. Goal for the year is to break 100.