Why did you start playing golf?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a hole in one at a pitch and putt in New Brighton in about 1989, even though it was more of a knob along the floor and the hole somehow got in the way, so thinking about it I have actually had two.

I told a mate in work, we borrowed some clubs the next Sunday and went and played the 9 hole at Allerton (local muni), in time stepped up to the Chamionship course there (well it has 18 holes), and been winning money from forummers ever since#. :D

# apart from NWJocko - hate him, hate him, hate him.......:p

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My dad played with a few uncles and a few of their mates. I think my first trip to the golf course was when I was about 5, and my mum must have said "can't you take him with you?".
Remember being pretty bored by it all to be honest, apart from when the tin of sweets came out on the tee's.

Probably started playing when I was around 10. Set of cut down clubs, that were horrific. Rarely got the ball in the air and struggled to make much progress and probably packed in as a junior when I was around 14.
Still, I have some great memories of playing golf with my dad, and my uncles - spring evenings going for a knock round a few holes with them, the blossom on the trees, and the first foliage on the tress with that beautiful vivid green of the new leaves.

I've always had a reasonable swing but never consistent enough to convert it into a low handicap. I know I'm not alone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There have been a few but I'd guess it was the Uniroyal Plus 6.

View attachment 29632

Uniroyal +6, now there's a blast from the past. I remember full page adverts for these in the Daily Telegraph sometime around 72-74. Found the odd one out on the course in those days. Never seemed to make any difference to my double bogies. It felt like a decent ball off the clubface, unlike the Penfold Ace/Commando that was around then too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First played when I was 14 or 15 I think.. my dad had taken it up several months earlier and he got me and my mum beginner lessons so we could all do something together. We weren't playing much by my early 20s though, and after I moved out at 22 I barely played for years. Not until my late 20s (4-5 years ago) when I started getting back into it, probably a few reasons, one of which was as I approached my 30th birthday I was thinking about how football wouldn't last forever whereas golf I could continue for many, many years. There was also a golf day arranged by my old Saturday football team that I took part in and enjoyed, shot something just over 100 I think, can't quite remember now - but I did get nearest the pin on one of the par threes.

I got my best mate into it after he enjoyed going to Top Golf and bought a cheap starter set of clubs, so we used to go and do 9 holes and a beer on Friday nights through the summer. Then a little while later I found out a couple of my wife's friends used to play and wanted to get back into it, and that's been our regular four ball ever since.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
I used to watch the golf as a kid with my dad in days was on BBC.
i took up mountain bike riding and racing in late 80s and early 90s, then foot and mouth hit and countryside shut putting a stop to all that, at same time my dad died suddenly. So my mum bought me a set of clubs and paid for membership at a local club. Have enjoyed the game ever since and when have a good round or a win always remember my dad.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a hole in one at a pitch and putt in New Brighton in about 1989, even though it was more of a knob along the floor and the hole somehow got in the way, so thinking about it I have actually had two.

I told a mate in work, we borrowed some clubs the next Sunday and went and played the 9 hole at Allerton (local muni), in time stepped up to the Chamionship course there (well it has 18 holes), and been winning money from forummers ever since#. :D

# apart from NWJocko - hate him, hate him, hate him.......:p

You've had one.. Stop claiming the Lee Park one.. It didn't count then and it doesn't count now... :censored::);)

Siolag

Visit site
It’s always been in my family but I was never really interested aside from watching on tv. Partly because I could never see myself hitting the ball as far as Tiger and Rory so thought there wouldn’t be a point.

A couple of guys from my athletics club were going round the local Uni par 3 course, but one dropped out so I said I’d go along, and I had a few decent shots amongst the duff ones, so decided I’d go back. Then approached the local club and joined and here I am.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Knowing full well that the majority of players were elderly. So this meant

1) I could take them in a fight
2) If I endeared myself with them enough then I would cash in on their wills.

This and the chicks....

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You've had one.. Stop claiming the Lee Park one.. It didn't count then and it doesn't count now... :censored::);)
I had one on the second hole at Lee Park . Only one I have had.
Started playing due to footy injury.
Shift worker so had lots of time.
My neighbour was a 4 capper at Huyton and Prescot and he showed me the correct way from day one.
First official Handicap was 6 still off 6 now after 35yrs I just love playing and being out in the open.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There have been a few but I'd guess it was the Uniroyal Plus 6.

View attachment 29632

When they first came out [1966ish] the company doubled the Dunlop/Slazenger fee and ball allocation to the club Pro's/assistants to play them.
They were so bad hardly anyone took up the offer.
Were known as Urinals.

I was born on the edge of some golf courses.
Fourth generation of a golfing family, two Uncles were Pro's, Grandfather was a top amateur in his day who played in a couple of Opens
I could not do anything else but play golf.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Also, I was probably lured into the game from watching "Around with Alliss", think it was on a sunday night. Quality comedians and guests having some banter on the golf course as if they were having a knock round with a mate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On Saturday morning in the early 1970s I went up to my pal Alan's house (near the Cross for Newton Mearns folks) to discover he'd headed off to play golf with our pal Crawford who lived across the road form him. I was 13. Though I'd been hitting a ball up and down Belmont School playing fields across the road from us (so quite a walk to Alan's) on and off for about 4 years, I thought I'd better take up golf properly. And so I joined Alan and Crawford going down to Deaconsbank every Saturday morning...

Soon Crawford dropped out a bit leaving Alan and myself. A few years later he joined Eastwood and I joined East Ren. And the rest, as they say...

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
My uncle (mom's big brother) gave me his old set and started taking me out to play when I was 14.
I had a set of six lessons, first...on him.

My uncle had a big Cadillac that smelled of cigars and his cologne, and I was in heaven just riding to the course.

I'm 73, so as you can well imagine, I don't get to play with him anymore.

Grazie, Zio