why cant i get distance?

in_the_trees

Club Champion
Visit site
hi all...i must be doing something wrong i read all these posts of people driving 220-280 even 300 yards why is it im lucky to be getting 180 200 yards if im really lucky on what i class as a good shot?

by good shot i mean hitting it off the centre and ball going straight and getting plenty of hight

cheers

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been playing this game for 20 years and struggle to drive beyond 220 yards. I like to think I make up for it by having a good short game. Distance isn't everything.

"Drive for show, putt for dough"

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True, some indication of your age/experience etc would be useful.

However, its all about timing imo, and the wrist 'snap' at impact.

I dont swing fast, but with my build, Ive never needed to, I've always got good distance.
Conversely, a very good friend of mine has played as long as me, never got below 27H/C, and cant get anywhere near my/normal distances etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is all about making a good turn and storing the latent energy and transferring it correctly. I'm a short hitter and have an inherent problem in my swing where I tend to come out of the shot on the way down which robs me of some of the power. I make a decent turn from a good address position but this move is ingrained over so many years. Its the big project this winter to try and rebuild the swing to eliminate it and give me more control and hopefully longer distance.

If you put a youtube video of your swing up, there are some low handicap golfers on here (and justoneuk :D) who can give you some words of wisdom and may be able to spot any inherent issues robbing you of length. Mind you I'd take 200 yards straight than 250 in the trees. Have you ever seen the old boys at your club? Down the middle all the time. Not long but in play. Another down the fairway, on the green and usually 2 putts for a bogey and usually a net par. They are even harder to play against in matches.

It isn't all about distance.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you ever seen the old boys at your club? Down the middle all the time. Not long but in play. Another down the fairway, on the green and usually 2 putts for a bogey and usually a net par. They are even harder to play against in matches.

I played with one this morning.....75 years old (20 h/cap) Hitting driver off par 3's as well......
He scratched 1 hole and walked away with 38 points :D

in_the_trees

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks for your help.......
i havnt been playing that long(about a year)
i also dont have a official handicap.
i play just once or twice a week but do take my game seriously and trying to improve my game before joining a club.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Technique is the key - get a lesson or two with a pro, be amazed if it doesn't result in more distance.

Hmm. I hit it the same distance as when I was 25 and playing off 24. :)

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you ever seen the old boys at your club? Down the middle all the time. Not long but in play. Another down the fairway, on the green and usually 2 putts for a bogey and usually a net par. They are even harder to play against in matches.

I played with one this morning.....75 years old (20 h/cap) Hitting driver off par 3's as well......
He scratched 1 hole and walked away with 38 points :D

Leftie, I didn't know you were on holiday....... :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been playing this game for 20 years and struggle to drive beyond 220 yards. I like to think I make up for it by having a good short game. Distance isn't everything.

"Drive for show, putt for dough"

I've been playing this game for 7-8 years (give or take, over a 17 year period) and struggle to drive beyond 219 yards. :) :)

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
How old are you???

When I was 14 (man this is starting to sound like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwv-DxOPhSc) I hit my 7 iron 110 yards... and it wasn't a very good year :p :p :p

Now when I'm 18 I expect to hit my 7 iron 150 meters at least and my PW 110 yards...

If you r young don't stress at all...

If u r newish to the game... get some lessons and you will hit that far soon... and keeping workin at your game...

After all You drive for show and putt for dough...

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks for your help.......
i havnt been playing that long(about a year)
i also dont have a official handicap.
i play just once or twice a week but do take my game seriously and trying to improve my game before joining a club.
what height weight age are you colour of eyes :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a short hitter and have an inherent problem in my swing where I tend to come out of the shot on the way down which robs me of some of the power. I make a decent turn from a good address position but this move is ingrained over so many years.

My new pro has promised to work with me on a few things in the downswing soon. He showed me a video (ages ago) of a player who had even less lag and core rotation than me. I've seen the chap practising some drills at the range and had a cheeky word with him a week or so back, when my pro wasn't around! It looks/sounds exciting.....he's hitting it WAY further now.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They used to publish average distance for club golfers as 190 yards. I have not seen these figures lately. Don't tell me it's now 290 yards.
:p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think personally alot of it is also about having the right club for you. Lofts, Shaft Kicks, Shaft Flex is all a major key when hitting that sweet drive, also take into account the correct ball.

yesturday off our 15th i spanked a drive although it was up the right side so i chose to play a provi, the provi ball i used awas a cheapo Topflight Xtra Distance and when i he it i felt like id hit a stone. Both strikes were good and almost identical and the drive was pretty much on the same path as my first. I was happy as i could use wither ball to find the other ball as a distance marker. When i fonund the topflight, it was almost 20 yards behind my playing ball which was a Burner TP (i think softer than the topflight) so i was assuming the ball would have been a tad shorter.

Its amaizing how wrong balls for your swing can cause major ballooning and distance loss.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you are a fine physical specimen of a man then it's down to technique. However, if you're like Smiffy or Leftie then count yourself lucky you can hit it 180yds!