why cant i get distance?

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been playing this game for 7-8 years (give or take, over a 17 year period) and struggle to drive beyond 219 yards. :) :)

I've been playing for a couple of years, have never played better than the 16 handicap I was initially given, but I've rolled a few to 270-300 yards before. I'd far rather hit consistent 220-yard drives and be a 12-handicapper. :(

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
They used to publish average distance for club golfers as 190 yards. I have not seen these figures lately. Don't tell me it's now 290 yards.
:p

I doubt it has changed much, if at all.

Even with the technological improvements it hasn't changed the pro stats all that much and we have to add in the vagaries of the variable swing.

tbh I thought GPS had nailed many of the 'I drive 280+' brigade. also I doubt that many of the 'average' driving figures are true, I'd bet on many being Sunday best, otherwise there are a lot around who don't make 150!.

(and I don't need to know who hits it a mile. I know James does 'cos I've seen him. As for the rest, I know roughly how far I hit and that's all that matters. I just have to take a bigger club for the second shot.)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its funny how a lot of big hitters will claim a number down hill wind assisted rock hard fairways great bounces.

i know from what ive studided over 6 months.

Average level ground drive no wind is 250. Wind normally add's 20, and downhill can add 10-30 depending on gradient. Sunday i drove 300 yards, but that was down hill (quite steep) with rock hard fariways and good bounces so a fair bit of roll. realistically it was probally a carry of 250/260, with a massive roll/bounce on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've never claimed to be a big hitter. 250 is a pearler for me and I might get 275 with a hooky running shot on dry fairways. It has never been an issue (except when we play some matches off the blacks at some clubs) and I just play the par 4's as 5's and hope to use my shot well and maybe sink a putt.

I'd rather be 220 on the fairway 8/10 times (and light rough the other two) than 260 in the trees even 5/10 times and be playing three off the tee or chipping out

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
its funny how a lot of big hitters will claim a number down hill wind assisted rock hard fairways great bounces.

i know from what ive studided over 6 months.

Average level ground drive no wind is 250. Wind normally add's 20, and downhill can add 10-30 depending on gradient. Sunday i drove 300 yards, but that was down hill (quite steep) with rock hard fariways and good bounces so a fair bit of roll . realistically it was probally a carry of 250/260, with a massive roll/bounce on.

^
^
^
Pure comedy genius!