WHS, what tee's can we play off

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
with the new system coming in soon and the CSS/SSS going, does this mean we won't be restricted to all playing the back tee's in comps?

few guys at mine are now at the stage they have stopped playing the big comps as the back tee;'s are just too long, all still have low cat 1 handicaps(former), but the numbers playing in the comps are dropping to an alarming level, we only had 70 yesterday with 20 guys who i know giving it a miss

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought people only played of the tips because of their inflated male egos...? ?

Serious mode though. It’s a good question.

My only thought would be could it be possible to ‘game’ competitions if there is a small discrepancy between the slope ratings being slightly iffy off a forward tee box?

I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

EDIT. change the word ‘iffy’ to ‘generous’.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no reason why not but committees (and other 'traditionalist' members) may not be keen.

That is what Course Rating and Slope is all about. Rule 6.2 makes specific provision for Multiple Tees.

Of course CONGU already provides for mixed tee and gender events.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had our first multiple tee competition yesterday. Stableford comp where both genders had choice of white , blue and red tees. There were a number of gents played off the blues and a number of ladies too. There was also one lady played off the whites (SSS 78 for the ladies) and shot 72 gross, got slashed to +3.5 for her troubles.

Seemed to work well enough, once we get used to the separation between score in the competition and score used for handicap it'll all be fine.

One thing I haven't seen is how (if at all) they can have a 'scratch' prize in such mixed tee competitions. Losing that would be a shame for the good players.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Comps at Woodhall we can choose if we play off the yellows or whites as some members simply can’t carry the Heather on some holes.

You just declare which tee as it’s a different css, I would expect this to be no different anywhere when using the slope associated with each tee block.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had our first multiple tee competition yesterday. Stableford comp where both genders had choice of white , blue and red tees. There were a number of gents played off the blues and a number of ladies too. There was also one lady played off the whites (SSS 78 for the ladies) and shot 72 gross, got slashed to +3.5 for her troubles.

Seemed to work well enough, once we get used to the separation between score in the competition and score used for handicap it'll all be fine.

One thing I haven't seen is how (if at all) they can have a 'scratch' prize in such mixed tee competitions. Losing that would be a shame for the good players.
Interesting that you have a white rating for the ladies. What length is it?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Comps at Woodhall we can choose if we play off the yellows or whites as some members simply can’t carry the Heather on some holes..
I seem to remember that Woodhall put in forward green tees on some holes for the shorter hitters. Are they still there and were the ever rated?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
with the new system coming in soon and the CSS/SSS going, does this mean we won't be restricted to all playing the back tee's in comps?

few guys at mine are now at the stage they have stopped playing the big comps as the back tee;'s are just too long, all still have low cat 1 handicaps(former), but the numbers playing in the comps are dropping to an alarming level, we only had 70 yesterday with 20 guys who i know giving it a miss
I think it is a good idea but do wonder how it would be received in terms of comp placings. I.e. if the person wins playing from the x tees, and second place was playing from the y tees - even though the system should deal with it will there always be questions?
[Similar to Traminator's post]
P.S. have been tempted to ask before, the apostrophe you put into tees, is no biggie but am curious in case I'm missing something.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you run the same comp from more than one tee the organisers must check to see if course adjustment shots are needed

6.2b Calculation When Multiple Tees with Different Pars Are
Used in a Competition
For the purposes of this Rule:
l Stroke play refers to the net score, gross score or Maximum Score formats of
play
l Stableford and Par/Bogey formats of play are considered separately.
When a competition is played from two or more sets of tees (such as mixed
gender or mixed ability events), depending on the format of play and any
difference in Course Rating between tees, additional strokes may need to be
added to the standard calculation of the Playing Handicap
etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is a good idea but do wonder how it would be received in terms of comp placings. I.e. if the person wins playing from the x tees, and second place was playing from the y tees - even though the system should deal with it will there always be questions?

se post 14

A lot of men players query why we give the ladies extra shots when they are playing in the same comp.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Couldn't they do it against the course rating?
So a score of 72 on the CR 74, beats the 71 on the CR 70.
Sounds like the lady you mentioned would have won it at a canter!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The club i used to be a member of (Haddington) has been running comps recently where members could choose what tee to use and a CSS has been calculated accordingly for each tee.

Brilliant idea.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The club i used to be a member of (Haddington) has been running comps recently where members could choose what tee to use and a CSS has been calculated accordingly for each tee.

Brilliant idea.
I read it that CONGU recommends that a Single CSS is calculated.
Appendices B & O

Under WHS, with a couple of exceptions, only one PCC is calculated for all returned scores on a day

Jimbof

Visit site
A couple of things. If you have a multiple tee competition, you have a single CSS calculated adjustment, and that is applied to the SSS of each tee. Thus each CSS would be different, but the adjustment factor (-1, 0,+1,+2 etc) would be the same for all.

For a mixed tee scratch event, the difference in the SSS of each tee is taken into consideration. The score of the player using the tee with the higher SSS is reduced by the difference in the SSS of the two tees. Say the Tees have an SSS of 72 and 75, if both players played to the difficulty of that tee, one would have a scratch 75 and the other a scratch 72. So the player on the SSS=72 tee would win. So the score for the player on the higher SSS has their score reduced by the difference to take that into account.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A couple of things. If you have a multiple tee competition, you have a single CSS calculated adjustment, and that is applied to the SSS of each tee. Thus each CSS would be different, but the adjustment factor (-1, 0,+1,+2 etc) would be the same for all.

For a mixed tee scratch event, the difference in the SSS of each tee is taken into consideration. The score of the player using the tee with the higher SSS is reduced by the difference in the SSS of the two tees. Say the Tees have an SSS of 72 and 75, if both players played to the difficulty of that tee, one would have a scratch 75 and the other a scratch 72. So the player on the SSS=72 tee would win. So the score for the player on the higher SSS has their score reduced by the difference to take that into account.

the point of my Op was that with the WHS starting CSS and SSS are going so no need to do any of that with slope and CR or what ever can be used