• Went down by 1.0 to 2.0

• Went up by more than 2.0

• Went down by more than 2.0

• Stayed the same

Results are only viewable after voting.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't forget that, in the grand scheme of things, there is little correlation between your old CONGU handicap and your new Handicap Index.
Its more the Playing Handicap that has relevance to the old one.
My numbers were 0.1 different but my playing Handicap is 2 higher..
Indeed - my CONGU is 8.6 and my PH (own track medal off back tees) is 8.8 - so effectively no change

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It has some relevance, it's all based on the same rounds of golf. I think there's a flaw in the system if it gives the handicap much lower even though you haven't played for ages. ?‍♂️
Its still based on your best from the last 20 in the last 2 years initially.
If he's only put in a couple of cards in 2 years then the system will take the lowest and assign that handicap.
As he puts more in the calculation changes and takes into account more of an average.
Thats why it was encouraged to put as many cards in as possible prior to the change in order to get as accurate a handicap as possible.

On the first point...your CONGU 'cap gave you the number of shots you receive...your Index doesn't, your playing handicap does.
So you can only really compare old 'cap with your new playing 'cap.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't forget that, in the grand scheme of things, there is little correlation between your old CONGU handicap and your new Handicap Index.
Its more the Playing Handicap that has relevance to the old one.
My numbers were 0.1 different but my playing Handicap is 2 higher..

If that's how we're to compare it I came down from 15.3 to 13 for my home course of the whites and will be 12 off the yellows.

Was hoping to put some general play scores in over the winter, but my clubs saying the course isn't accurately measured for it to count for the winter course.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Little off topic but was speaking to a scratch golfer at the weekend was telling me about a comp he played last year against scratch golfers from American at ballyliffin golf club.. anyways said to me they might be 0 on this whs handicap but only be 5/6 men out here.

And looking at the pole most of us have all came down which is interesting. Anyways wanted to share that little story, as maybe on the grand scale of things it levels up the playing field on a global scale

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hopefully it has all been sorted now. My HI yoyoed from 11.6 to 14.2 and points in between. It now seems back to 11.6 which it was on England Golf when I looked originally. Has me off 12 on our white slope rating (which I was playing off anyway). Did the R&A and the powers that introduced the WGH take advice from Duckworth Lewis. Seems marginally more difficult to understand than the equivalent of doing a Rubik's cube in a pitch black room

Imurg

Visit site
Hopefully it has all been sorted now. My HI yoyoed from 11.6 to 14.2 and points in between. It now seems back to 11.6 which it was on England Golf when I looked originally. Has me off 12 on our white slope rating (which I was playing off anyway). Did the R&A and the powers that introduced the WGH take advice from Duckworth Lewis. Seems marginally more difficult to understand than the equivalent of doing a Rubik's cube in a pitch black room
I think your index shows that the system is pretty accurate
You put in loads of cards therefore your playing 'cap is virtually the same as your old one.
If you don't put enough cards in then your index will be skewed.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think your index shows that the system is pretty accurate
You put in loads of cards therefore your playing 'cap is virtually the same as your old one.
If you don't put enough cards in then your index will be skewed.....

Reluctantly agree. Was excited when I thought I was off 15 off the whites at 630 last night. Still think Duckworth Lewis have patented the WGH

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
6.1, down to 5.8.

Not played since January, and sold the clubs. Had a brief thought earlier today of trying it again but probably won't.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't know why you'd assume it was anything else than HI as the other two can fluctuate depending on what course you're playing.
Well because as you've pointed out they are different things so not really comparable. Plus a large number of people (majority perhaps) will play most qualifying comps on one course and set of tees - so the playing hcp may be a more understandable before/after comparison.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he's only put in a couple of cards in 2 years then the system will take the lowest and assign that handicap.
As he puts more in the calculation changes and takes into account more of an average.
Thats why it was encouraged to put as many cards in as possible prior to the change in order to get as accurate a handicap as possible.

On the first point...your CONGU 'cap gave you the number of shots you receive...your Index doesn't, your playing handicap does.
But I can't do that as I have no idea what my new playing handicap actually is. :LOL:

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Came down from 4.2 to 1.5 - I'm never winning anything again :D

I'd had some good rounds this season, a couple that ended up with -0.3 differentials.

Course rating is 134 off White and 127 off Yellow so will be off 2 instead of 4.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive re-checked today and my handicap index seems to have finally settled at 22.1. Previous CONGU was 19.4. My playing handicap will be 24 at my home club.

People are going to call me bandit alllllll the time!

gopher99

Visit site

Thanks for the explanation i only submitted 9 cards in the last 2 years, that’s why my handicap has been cut lower. Once I submit 11 more i should get a true reflection of my handicap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive re-checked today and my handicap index seems to have finally settled at 22.1. Previous CONGU was 19.4. My playing handicap will be 24 at my home club.

People are going to call me bandit alllllll the time!
The good thing is that you will be able to reassure them that you had no control over the calculation of your HI (it is what it is) and that you won't be a 'bandit' for very long because your HI will very quickly reflect any 'banditary'. As we know the 'bandit' is usually one who seems to 'get away with it' as their handicap does not reflect their ability. That often comes around by their best rounds not counting towards their handicap - and often these rounds happen in 'roll-up'-type comps that now should count towards their HI. And that is IMO one of the BIG pluses of WHS.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After yesterday's 11 under my new WHS playing handicap (16) off the yellow tees I'm hopeful, after this lockdown, that my form will continue and I'll see a quick return to the 12 handicap I've played off for the last few years!

Imurg

Visit site
After yesterday's 11 under my new WHS playing handicap (16) off the yellow tees I'm hopeful, after this lockdown, that my form will continue and I'll see a quick return to the 12 handicap I've played off for the last few years!
Has the system updated your index yet..?

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As already pointed out it depends which one of the many number we use to compare :)

I would compare my CONGU (17.9) to Course H'cap (18 of the whites) and then 17 for comps (at 95%)

Index is 15.2