WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good question for which I don't have a definitive answer.
But IMO but if you have clause in the LR which differentiates between comps and general play, it should suffice.
Had a long chat with the course manager today and he as reluctantly agreed to apply the local rule across the club until the end of the month by which time the 90+ bunkers will be restored.

Swango1980

Visit site
Had a long chat with the course manager today and he as reluctantly agreed to apply the local rule across the club until the end of the month by which time the 90+ bunkers will be restored.
It makes me cringe when rounds can count for handicap when no bunkers are in play. Completely different course. You can just smash any of your shots without worrying about ending up.in one. It would completely change my club choice on many holes, and my line.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your club should really be informing the county about the situation. The Course Rating would be seriously affected.

Appendix G: The Golf Course, Course Rating and Slope Rating
Course Measurement, Course Rating and Slope Rating, and Modification of Courses

f. Modification of Courses (i) Temporary Changes The Handicap Committee must notify the Authorized Association when temporary changes are being made to the golf course that may affect the Course Rating. The Authorized Association will determine whether scores made under such conditions are acceptable for handicap purposes, and whether the Course Rating and Slope Rating should be modified temporarily. Where a temporary Course Rating and Slope Rating has been issued, this information must be made available to players prior to the commencement of their round.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your club should really be informing the county about the situation. The Course Rating would be seriously affected.

Appendix G: The Golf Course, Course Rating and Slope Rating
Course Measurement, Course Rating and Slope Rating, and Modification of Courses

f. Modification of Courses (i) Temporary Changes The Handicap Committee must notify the Authorized Association when temporary changes are being made to the golf course that may affect the Course Rating. The Authorized Association will determine whether scores made under such conditions are acceptable for handicap purposes, and whether the Course Rating and Slope Rating should be modified temporarily. Where a temporary Course Rating and Slope Rating has been issued, this information must be made available to players prior to the commencement of their round.
I believe we have. I thought this appendix only refers to changes in length due to tees / greens being taken out for maintenance etc not bunkers or other areas in the general area.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
True, but so does having to play out of poor quality bunkers and I don't envisage the CR would increase because of that.
The rating system posits that the course is in 'normal' playing condition. If the club/course management cannot achieve reasonable consistency at certain times they shouldn't run 'qualifying' competitions then.
Sand condition is a small factor in rating but the absence of all bunkers has a far greater significance.

IanMcC

Visit site
Our club secretary contacted me today. She had a problem adding a new member to Wales Golf Dashboard. His name, date of birth and email address were all correct. when trying to submit we get the error message in the screenshot. Anyone else encountered this?

Attachments

• new member problem 1.PNG
    new member problem 1.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 11

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club secretary contacted me today. She had a problem adding a new member to Wales Golf Dashboard. His name, date of birth and email address were all correct. when trying to submit we get the error message in the screenshot. Anyone else encountered this?
Has she found him on the WHS DB and accepted him there. She might need to search as he might already be on.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone had WHS issues today?

Some of my members have had problems entering comp scores via masterscoreboard - being told that a current handicap is not available from WHS and I have had the dreaded "Bad Gateway 502" message.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From Handicap Master

We are aware that since about 13:00 BST on Friday 15th October that the England, Welsh WHS handicapping services are experiencing intermittent problems.
These problems may have resulted in the following error being returned to HandicapMaster and Master Scoreboard when attempts to access the England Golf and Wales Golf WHS Platform:
502 - Bad Gateway
These are NOT errors from within HandicapMaster or Master Scoreboard.
These errors have been reported to the service provider (New Zealand's DotGolf International); we are awaiting a response.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We have received a reply from DotGolf indicating that they are aware of the issue and are currently working to get the issue resolved.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anyone turned on the new attestation functionality in HowDidIDo that was released this week?

We are planning to do a test this week to see how the dual entry works but would be interested in any feedback.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For HowDidIDo users - attestation test.

We did a live test this evening of the new functionality in HDID for both competition and General Play Rounds. The results were somewhat surprising.

For competition rounds you are asked to enter the name of the person whose card you are marking and also who is marking your card (fair enough). We then entered scores for each player and marker which disagreed with each other so nobody had a matched score with their marker. In each case the players score was taken and no error message was forthcoming. :unsure: The name and signature of the marker was included in the scoring record for the competition. We then closed the competition and the players scores were transmitted to WHS. In other words the markers scores were ignored and no errors flagged. :rolleyes:

For General Play, the marker was asked for and both scores entered. Again no errors were detected and the players scores were sent through to WHS unchallenged. No details of the marker were included in the GP analysis of the round - no name, signature or score. :cautious:

Frankly, we were left a bit baffled by the results as the input looked to be perfect to perform the checks for attestation - but nothing happened. Our conclusion was that in the current form it was unusable as all the additional effort for no results wasn't justified and we turned it back off.

Has anyone else tried it?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

We did a live test this evening of the new functionality in HDID for both competition and General Play Rounds. The results were somewhat surprising.

For competition rounds you are asked to enter the name of the person whose card you are marking and also who is marking your card (fair enough). We then entered scores for each player and marker which disagreed with each other so nobody had a matched score with their marker. In each case the players score was taken and no error message was forthcoming. :unsure: The name and signature of the marker was included in the scoring record for the competition. We then closed the competition and the players scores were transmitted to WHS. In other words the markers scores were ignored and no errors flagged. :rolleyes:

For General Play, the marker was asked for and both scores entered. Again no errors were detected and the players scores were sent through to WHS unchallenged. No details of the marker were included in the GP analysis of the round - no name, signature or score. :cautious:

Frankly, we were left a bit baffled by the results as the input looked to be perfect to perform the checks for attestation - but nothing happened. Our conclusion was that in the current form it was unusable as all the additional effort for no results wasn't justified and we turned it back off.

Hopefully you will pass on your findings to the HDID development team.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Worrying.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site

We were going to do similar in the off season - this does not sound good at all. Isn't it stated that it has been sanctioned by the R&A to replace scorecards?

I'm probably more 'open' to changes like this than most but unless basic stuff like this can be trusted then there is no chance scorecards can be replaced any time soon.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We were going to do similar in the off season - this does not sound good at all. Isn't it stated that it has been sanctioned by the R&A to replace scorecards?

I'm probably more 'open' to changes like this than most but unless basic stuff like this can be trusted then there is no chance scorecards can be replaced any time soon.
We ran with VMS for 4 months then had enough, it'll take a helluva upgrade from Scottish Golf to get us to throw away our paper scorecards again

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think this is more of a mindset issue. We were/are willing to accept what was written on a card. There will be those that manipulate the system but that has always been the case.

As you posted, it has been sanctioned. I personally think it has been introduced a year early for comps (possibly due to COVID) and should have been used just for casual rounds for now.