WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

wjemather

Visit site
If a 19 handicapper entered I guess they would play off 17, so a 10% reduction would be the first consideration ie they wouldn't play off 18?
If the limit is set to a Playing Handicap of 18, then 18 is what a player with a higher playing handicap would play from.
If the limit is set to a Course Handicap of 18, then 17 would be the maximum Playing Handicap (at 95%).
If the limit is set to a Handicap Index of 18.0, then the course Slope Rating would determine what the maximum Course Handicap (18 x Slope/113) and Playing Handicap (0.95 x 18 x Slope/113) would be.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If the limit is set to a Playing Handicap of 18, then 18 is what a player with a higher playing handicap would play from.
If the limit is set to a Course Handicap of 18, then 17 would be the maximum Playing Handicap (at 95%).
If the limit is set to a Handicap Index of 18.0, then the course Slope Rating would determine what the maximum Course Handicap (18 x Slope/113) and Playing Handicap (0.95 x 18 x Slope/113) would be.

Thanks for the detailed explanation ??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In opens or other comps where some players are not playing on their home course, my impression is that in most cases the HI is being used to set limits.
In internal comps it doesn't matter so much.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A question for Handicap Secretaries. When does the low index get set in WHS? is it when the playing record is full (ie 20 scores) or is there some other criteria.

The reason I ask is that we have a new member how has gone up by 10 shots this year since putting his 3 cards in and the Low Index is set to "pending".

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just announced by Club Systems - their answer to attestation for HowDidIDo.

New Mobile Score Input for Marker and Player Scores
During October 2021 we will be releasing a new, enhanced version of our hugely popular Mobile Score Input feature.

Players will enter their own score at each hole as well as a score for one of their playing partners. Scores will be cross-checked at the end of the round before being submitted for handicapping and/or competitions result processing.

This feature has been approved by the R&A to substitute paper scorecards where the club wishes to do so, as it is Rules of Golf compliant.

If you wish to turn this feature on early, please contact betatesting@clubsystems.com

Click below to view a video and please feel free to distribute the link to your members.

Click here for more details

wjemather

Visit site
A question for Handicap Secretaries. When does the low index get set in WHS? is it when the playing record is full (ie 20 scores) or is there some other criteria.

The reason I ask is that we have a new member how has gone up by 10 shots this year since putting his 3 cards in and the Low Index is set to "pending".
Yes, it gets set when 20 scores are reached. You will likely find that this member will immediately trigger the Hard Card upon submitting their 20th score (with a resultant reduction in their Handicap Index) and need their LHI resetting.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just announced by Club Systems - their answer to attestation for HowDidIDo.

New Mobile Score Input for Marker and Player Scores
During October 2021 we will be releasing a new, enhanced version of our hugely popular Mobile Score Input feature.

Players will enter their own score at each hole as well as a score for one of their playing partners. Scores will be cross-checked at the end of the round before being submitted for handicapping and/or competitions result processing.

This feature has been approved by the R&A to substitute paper scorecards where the club wishes to do so, as it is Rules of Golf compliant.

If you wish to turn this feature on early, please contact betatesting@clubsystems.com

Click below to view a video and please feel free to distribute the link to your members.

Click here for more details

I appreciate it's not your question to answer but how does that work for general play, especially if none of my playing partners are handing cards in that day, only me?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I appreciate it's not your question to answer but how does that work for general play, especially if none of my playing partners are handing cards in that day, only me?
I suspect it won't work that way as it appears you need a 1 to 1 relationship between marker and player. Also no mention is made about PSI terminals but I presume this will apply to both.

wjemather

Visit site
I suspect it won't work that way as it appears you need a 1 to 1 relationship between marker and player. Also no mention is made about PSI terminals but I presume this will apply to both.
Nothing I've seen mentions PSI terminals, so I assume it only relates to score entry via the HDID app.

wjemather

Visit site
There is no way HDID will allow score entry after every hole on our course - there is no coverage for 80+% of the site.
Indeed. The same applies at many courses. Some mobile scoring apps permit offline score entry, with synchronisation happening in the background as network coverage is restored, so perhaps this has been considered.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Flooded Bunkers - Again!!!!

EG have issued guidelines for winter golf in a 5 page document dated 5/9/21. As expected for most things, however, there is the following paragraph on bunkers:

Bunkers

Providing a Local Rule is in place, bunkers may be taken out of play and marked as GUR for situations such as severe or prolonged wet weather. Bunkers flooded with water, can be marked as GUR; allowing scores to still be acceptable and returned for handicap purposes. Players must be made aware of which bunkers are GUR before play. There is no limit on the number of bunkers that can be taken ‘out of play’.

I thought the blanket "all bunkers" being taken out was prohibited - a maximum of 50% had to be in play for it to be acceptable for handicap. This implies there is no limit. I'm confused!

Attachments

• Winter-Golf-Checklist-Branded-060921.pdf
    161.5 KB · Views: 8

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Flooded Bunkers - Again!!!!

EG have issued guidelines for winter golf in a 5 page document dated 5/9/21. As expected for most things, however, there is the following paragraph on bunkers:

Bunkers

Providing a Local Rule is in place, bunkers may be taken out of play and marked as GUR for situations such as severe or prolonged wet weather. Bunkers flooded with water, can be marked as GUR; allowing scores to still be acceptable and returned for handicap purposes. Players must be made aware of which bunkers are GUR before play. There is no limit on the number of bunkers that can be taken ‘out of play’.

I thought the blanket "all bunkers" being taken out was prohibited - a maximum of 50% had to be in play for it to be acceptable for handicap. This implies there is no limit. I'm confused!
The50% was a limit introduced by James Crampton, the then head of Handicapping at the then English Golf Union, many years ago. It was never taken up by the rest of CONGU and has now been dropped by England Golf. It is not a CONGU (or WHS) ruling.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The50% was a limit introduced by James Crampton, the then head of Handicapping at the then English Golf Union, many years ago. It was never taken up by the rest of CONGU and has now been dropped by England Golf. It is not a CONGU (or WHS) ruling.
OK - so just to be clear - are we able to take all bunkers out of play under 16.1b or do we have to leave some in play for it to be acceptable for handicap?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes. As it says "There is no limit on the number of bunkers that can be taken ‘out of play’'

The LR has to make it clear just what is or isn't out of play
OK thanks - our course would not want to apply this as a blanket LR and I can see how we will use it in competitions. Could we apply a local rules for General Play rounds specifically?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK thanks - our course would not want to apply this as a blanket LR and I can see how we will use it in competitions. Could we apply a local rules for General Play rounds specifically?
Good question for which I don't have a definitive answer.
But IMO but if you have clause in the LR which differentiates between comps and general play, it should suffice.