WHS Average of best 8 question

slalomdude

Visit site
Not sure what I am missing here. My best eight counting score differentials total 89.8 so I assume my index would be 89.8/8 = 11.22. My index shows as 10.3.( 2 days after last round was submitted). Any ideas ? Thanks

slalomdude

Visit site
What is your low index? - your lowest HI in the past 365 days
When I first joined the club in March, it was so wet we were down to 9 holes only. I had to put cards in based on 9 holes only. Several of these were 40, with a few 43-45. The first index I was given was 6.4 which I never understood. Lowest in last 365 was therefore 6.4. I think I know where you are going with this, a limit on the highest it can increase in 1 year ?

Swango1980

Visit site
When I first joined the club in March, it was so wet we were down to 9 holes only. I had to put cards in based on 9 holes only. Several of these were 40, with a few 43-45. The first index I was given was 6.4 which I never understood. Lowest in last 365 was therefore 6.4. I think I know where you are going with this, a limit on the highest it can increase in 1 year ?
You are probably in your soft cap / hard cap territory.

The low handicap index is set once a player has submitted 20 scores (i.e. it shouldn't matter what your index was before that point, given you've only entered 34 scores to date). So, what was your lowest index since having 20 scores submitted (and within the last 365 days)?

Given you've worked out you would normally be off 11.2, but actually are given 10.3 (0.9. difference), that would indicate the cap kicked in when you go beyond 9.4. In other words, a Low Index of 6.4, given your soft cap at 9.4. That ties in with what you said, you had an Index of 6.4. However, you also indicated that was your initial index (after 3 scores). That doesn't sit right with me, and I wonder if there is an issue with the software setting the Low Index?

wjemather

Visit site
The Low Handicap Index is the lowest Handicap Index achieved in the past year; it is first set when the 20th score is entered (before then, there is no LHI). On occasion the 20th score trigger can result in surprising reductions in handicap when an exceptionally low score differential early on in the record (when it is subject to a -2.0 or -1.0 adjustment, and wouldn't be averaged out with other score differentials) puts players current HI in the soft/hard cap.

Increases in HI of more than 3 above the Low Handicap Index are restricted.
The portion of any increase between 3.0 and 5.0 above the LHI is halved (soft cap).
The new HI can be a maximum of 5.0 above the LHI (hard cap).

For the OP, 11.2 is more than 3.0 above the LHI, so:

HI = LHI + 3.0 + soft capped portion = 6.4 + 3.0 + (1.8 * 0.5) = 10.3

Following on from the above, whenever the LHI is based on just one or two score differentials from early in the handicap record (including an exceptional one), it may be worth contacting the Handicap Committee to reset the LHI so it is based on a full record, and the HI is allowed to return to a fair level.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However, you also indicated that was your initial index (after 3 scores). That doesn't sit right with me, and I wonder if there is an issue with the software setting the Low Index?
Low index is only set after 20 acceptable scores are in the record.

Swango1980

Visit site
Low index is only set after 20 acceptable scores are in the record.
Yeah, that is what I said in my second line. However, given the numbers that were quoted by slalomdude, it seemed strange that his low index equaled the index he was first given?

I remember earlier on, some of the software was getting it wrong, and Low Indexes were automatically being set to the lowest index, even if it was inside the first 20 scores (was reported on here a while ago). Was giving people some really unusual handicaps. Of course, I'd have assumed an issue like this would long since be sorted out.

Also, the OP has only submitted 34 scores in total. If we assume his Index was 6.4 after 20 scores, it seems like a hell of a drop in form for it to be calculated now as 11.2 (without caps), now another 14 scores have been added?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, that is what I said in my second line. However, given the numbers that were quoted by slalomdude, it seemed strange that his low index equaled the index he was first given?

I remember earlier on, some of the software was getting it wrong, and Low Indexes were automatically being set to the lowest index, even if it was inside the first 20 scores (was reported on here a while ago). Was giving people some really unusual handicaps. Of course, I'd have assumed an issue like this would long since be sorted out.

Also, the OP has only submitted 34 scores in total. If we assume his Index was 6.4 after 20 scores, it seems like a hell of a drop in form for it to be calculated now as 11.2 (without caps), now another 14 scores have been added?

not necessarily. If the low index after 20 rounds was 6.4, that's what it is. The OP even said the first number of rounds were only 9 hole scores due to weather and conditions. System is likely working exactly as expected

wjemather

Visit site
not necessarily. If the low index after 20 rounds was 6.4, that's what it is. The OP even said the first number of rounds were only 9 hole scores due to weather and conditions. System is likely working exactly as expected
Indeed it is.
However, it's not working how some people think it should, so they say that the software (or the system) is wrong.

Swango1980

Visit site
As I said, I'm only suggesting it would be a surprise that his Index was that much lower 14 rounds ago, as that is not a pattern of scoring I've seen since WHS began (in my own experience with me and others). In addition, it probably seems strange that the OP mentioned they were given an initial handicap of 6.4, but didn't go on to mention that it was also 6.4 17 rounds later, and only 14 rounds ago, which would seem to be even more worth highlighting?

Anyway, I've caveated by thinking behind this enough. Only slalomdude can confirm any additional relevant details related to their handicap record.

Swango1980

Visit site
Indeed it is.
However, it's not working how some people think it should, so they say that the software (or the system) is wrong.
How would the system be working as intended, if you are suggesting the Handicap Committee may need to be contacted so the Low Index can be updated, to be based on a full record?

wjemather

Visit site
As I said, I'm only suggesting it would be a surprise that his Index was that much lower 14 rounds ago, as that is not a pattern of scoring I've seen since WHS began (in my own experience with me and others). In addition, it probably seems strange that the OP mentioned they were given an initial handicap of 6.4, but didn't go on to mention that it was also 6.4 17 rounds later, and only 14 rounds ago, which would seem to be even more worth highlighting?

Anyway, I've caveated by thinking behind this enough. Only slalomdude can confirm any additional relevant details related to their handicap record.
It's not strange at all because this is is something you invented.

wjemather

Visit site
How would the system be working as intended, if you are suggesting the Handicap Committee may need to be contacted so the Low Index can be updated, to be based on a full record?
It would be for the committee to assess the circumstances and decide what the HI should be; it is rarely as simple as just resetting the LHI.

wjemather

Visit site
And why would the Low Index only be based on a few scores, and not a full record?
The LHI is simply the lowest HI in the past year; when that is achieved early in a handicap record, that HI will have been based on just a few scores as there is no full record at that time.

Swango1980

Visit site
The LHI is simply the lowest HI in the past year; when that is achieved early in a handicap record, that HI will have been based on just a few scores as there is no full record at that time.
Hence, it is not working as some people would expect?

Because, the Low Index should only be set once the player has 20 scores. But, are you suggesting the software will set it based on the first 3 scores, if that was within the last 365 days?

wjemather

Visit site
Hence, it is not working as some people would expect?
People are liable to expect all kind of things.

Because, the Low Index should only be set once the player has 20 scores.
It is only set after the 20th score is submitted.

But, are you suggesting the software will set it based on the first 3 scores, if that was within the last 365 days?
It will be whatever the lowest HI was, regardless of how many scores were on the record when it was achieved.