WHS - Adj Gross and Score Differential

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to go with the flow and remain in blissful confusion and the number will be what the number will be...

I guess we're all used to knowing exactly what happens when we submit a score. Buffer - nothing. Over handicap +0.1. Under - cut depending on how many under and buffer zone. Oh and CSS of course!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm still confused. I like to know where I've played relative to handicap and now I'm not sure.
Adj Gross - CR (+PCC)
exactly like the old CONGU
Adj Gross - SSS (or CSS if not = SSS)

the 'x 113/SR' is used to calculate your HI (ie it de-slopes your score)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Adj Gross - CR (+PCC)
exactly like the old CONGU
Adj Gross - SSS (or CSS if not = SSS)

the 'x 113/SR' is used to calculate your HI (ie it de-slopes your score)
I know it's just terminology, but I prefer to say that "113/SR" normalizes your score to a course rating of 113. "de-slopes" seems to infer it always moves down, but it could also move up if the SR is less than 113.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm rapidly getting to the point where I neither really understand everything about WHS nor really care to.
I'm sure it all makes perfect sense in the long run but I'm just going to punch my scores in and see what gets kicked out the other end...
The minutiae of the thing can stay with those who feel the need .

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm rapidly getting to the point where I neither really understand everything about WHS nor really care to.
I'm sure it all makes perfect sense in the long run but I'm just going to punch my scores in and see what gets kicked out the other end...
The minutiae of the thing can stay with those who feel the need .

I can't get my head around the numbers so will have to do the same as trying to understand the how (and more importantly why) is giving me a headache!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spot on (y)
It simply reverses the "Slope Rating/113" in the Course Handicap calculation where it 'slopes' the HI.

PS I'm not sure what the opposite of Rulie's 'normalize' is o_O;)

So...why is that? Why use a calculation and then take it off again? I'm sure I should know the answer!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I guess in the old system, folk took 36 point as par. They then waited for the comp result to see if handicap changed. (Impact of the CSS)

No one cared how you labelled it.

It's similar now, except if you have the temerity to think 36 is level par, the WHS police will come round and strangle your cat! :)

The above explanations are correct, but the very nature of them demonstrates how over engineered the new system is.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So...why is that? Why use a calculation and then take it off again? I'm sure I should know the answer!
The original calculation is the way the slope adjustment is built in to the Course Handicap for that specific course/set of tees. It has to be undone to bring the Handicap Index back to a course neutral value. Remember HI is course independent.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The way I am beginning to think about this stuff...

My course SR is 125 so factor is 1.1 (that is fixed)

Looking at my handicap record...

My max counting round is a diff 10.3 (I’ve two of them)...when factored equivalent to a knock of about 11

I have two rounds before my oldest counting round - it’s a diff 6.7...when factored equivalent to a knock of about 8

My next two rounds are therefore ‘free‘ hits in which I can really go for:
1) one or two rounds of better than 11 over CR to improve upon my 10.3s
2) a round of 8 over CR or better to replace my 6.7

So in medal on Saturday anything between 8 and 11 over CR will improve my HI. If I’m worse that 11 over - no big deal. If I am close to 8 or better - great for reducing my HI and will compensate for my loss of the 6.7 when that happens. And I can go for it. Kind of like looking to play to 8 with a buffer zone of 3.

It might sound complicated written, but once I had worked out how to interpret my handicap record then I didn’t find it difficult to work out what I might want to do in my next round to maintain or improve my HI.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The original calculation is the way the slope adjustment is built in to the Course Handicap for that specific course/set of tees. It has to be undone to bring the Handicap Index back to a course neutral value. Remember HI is course independent.

Bingo! Thanks so much - that has triggered one of my few braincells left regarding WHS :)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am just going to use my worst score of 8 and call it my buffer.

Use what use my net score to determine whether I played to handicap or better.

Outside of buffer not happy
Buffer to handicap happy
Better than handicap buying the drinks.

Good news my buffer is now more than 2 shots
Used this approach today having a minimum target helped keep me focussed on a tough day. Eventually finished 3 over my CH but earn’t a 0.3 HI reduction.