WHS - Adj Gross and Score Differential

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure there is a logic so just want to understand how it works.

Stableford Card. Index 5.6. Course Handicap 7. Playing Handicap 7. Course Rating 75.3.

30 Points. I'd always assume previously that is 6 over handicap so around an 81 nett and 6 score differential? Adj Gross is 88 (one blob adjusted to nett double bogey) and score differential is actually 10.8.

I'm confused even typing that!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm sure there is a logic so just want to understand how it works.

Stableford Card. Index 5.6. Course Handicap 7. Playing Handicap 7. Course Rating 75.3.

30 Points. I'd always assume previously that is 6 over handicap so around an 81 nett and 6 score differential? Adj Gross is 88 (one blob adjusted to nett double bogey) and score differential is actually 10.8.

I'm confused even typing that!
Is slope about 133?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh my..., just as I thought I got it

Are we saying that 36 points is a net par at each hole, but not necessary playing the whole round to your handicap. (Cue Morecambe and Wise "Andrew Preview" Sketch!" :) )

I really don't know - my head is hurting trying to figure it out!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
im learning the answer on these threads is just write your gross score on the card and see how you did afterwards, you dont need to understand the new simplified system ;)

sorry not helping am I :(

I guess in the big scheme of things, as long as it's consistent, it doesn't really matter. In my head though I'm thinking - "so today I played like a 13 handicapper"...or did I?!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess in the big scheme of things, as long as it's consistent, it doesn't really matter. In my head though I'm thinking - "so today I played like a 13 handicapper"...or did I?!
I know we've been told over and over that this isn't the case but............36 points is still the target. Get that and be happy.

Please no abuse anyone ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know we've been told over and over that this isn't the case but............36 points is still the target. Get that and be happy.

Please no abuse anyone ?

I'm usually happy with a 30 to be honest - been very erratic of late...I like to understand the reasoning behind golf stuff though!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing to your handicap (index) is simply course rating plus your handicap index with any score worse than nett double bogey adjusted to nett double bogey .

Playing to handicap in Stableford points terms depends on the difference between par and the course rating. Same as playing to handicap pre WHS where you compared your points to the SSS(CSS).

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am just going to use my worst score of 8 and call it my buffer.

Use what use my net score to determine whether I played to handicap or better.

Outside of buffer not happy
Buffer to handicap happy
Better than handicap buying the drinks.

Good news my buffer is now more than 2 shots

wjemather

Visit site

Please no abuse anyone ?
The target Stableford points score to "play to handicap" under WHS is: 36 - (Course Rating - Par)
So on a course with a course rating higher than par, your target is lower than 36; and with a course rating lower than par, your target is higher than 36.

Which is no different than is was under CONGU UHS previously: 36 - (SSS - Par)

Now, if only CONGU had adopted WHS in full....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par is 75. Course Rating 75.3. I'm even more confused about Score Differential as would have thought it would be 6 :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par is 75. Course Rating 75.3. I'm even more confused about Score Differential as would have thought it would be 6 :unsure:

So 36 points is playing to Course Handicap

For the rest the best advice is to go to England Golf look at any card in your scores and look at the headings for each and you should be able to work it out
If you click on any score in the row it will show the actual hole scores with any adjustment in brackets.