who's gonna win?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like Dougie you mean? Badly missed I thought.
Another thing, I'm not a fan of family running on to the green after they've won. Why can't they just wait until they've came off? Why do they have to get on the green? To me, it's as if they're trying to bask in the reflective glory. It annoys me a wee bit. I can't remember many other wives running on to the grren. It's seems to be a bit of a new phenomenon.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
got to say i really enjoyed it harrington looked so relaxed on the last three holes so executed his shots with ease. pity norman didnt put him under a bit of pressure to test him more. quite impressed with poulter shows he can be a threat if he gets in contention.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing that really wound me up during the coverage was the amount of times they showed a putt with the hole obscured by an umbrella, flag, caddy etc. Surely they have more than one camera angle and, if not, move on to something else as there is no point showing a putt if you cannot see the result.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you'll find it's the media types who send the families onto the green for the 'soft' shot, though I suspect that Chris Evert would not have done so.

I rather doubt that they have more than one camera angle on any green, except possibly the 18th.

Overall though the coverage was poor, verging on dire :mad:.

Still, we ended up with a first class contest where the best golfer over 4 rounds won, not the usual longest drive contest.

Four definite winners out of this for me Harrington of course, Poulter who finally put four rounds together, Norman absolutely incredible exhibition for three rounds and Wood, 5th place as an amateur in those conditions is not to be lightly dismissed.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Special mention for Ian Poulter, running out to the practice ground, I felt he was a little premature and looked a bit silly. He should have waited until he everyone was through the 17th.

:) :) :)

Billy-n-m on the practice ground.....If he'd waited and something dodgy had happened to PH, then it would have looked sensible.
Fair play to him generaly.....but he did some silly things (I watch most of it) and could have been a good few better with the calmness of PH or the strategy of Faldo or Tiger.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
harrington wins the Irish PGA in the European CLub a links course in Wicklow in 2007 & 2008 a week before the Open and then goes and wins the Open-proving a hard weeks competition on links is a great way to warm up for the Open rather than play the parkland Loch Lomond.

Great credit to Norman for 3 great rounds and to Poulter for a great tournament especially his back nine today.
Looks like Harrington and Poulter have nailed their Ryder Cup spots giving Faldo a helping hand for his wildcards.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair play to Poulter he seemed gracious in defeat, much in the same way that Harrington was gracious and a perfect gentleman in winning. He deserved to win and it is great to see him retain a major something that only an elite group of people have ever done. I honestly thought that when Poulter holed his putt on 18 that Harrington would be hard pushed to keep his card Bogey free but he countered this thought with a truly tremendous eagle. Yes the coverage was poor but the action was great and still very enjoyable. It is about time the bbc either moved up a gear in the image stakes or simply let sky, who have the larger budget, take over and deliver higher quality results. I think what frustrated me the most was that due to the lack of variety in the groups who were being shown it felt like loads of players such as Stenson were sneaking into contention undetected when by all rights he was clearly playing some good golf during the week but I had little idea as he never got covered by the bbc and I therefore saw nothing of him which is highly disappointing and this is the case with others as well.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes it is time the bbc moved up a gear but giving it all up to sky - no way.

I'm trying to think this through and work out how the coverage can be improved. simply adding more cameras isn't the answer as, oddly enough, there isn't the room nor the camera angles available on the courses without interfering with play. On some holes there just aren't the camera angles, have a look at your course with this in mind. Courses weren't and shouldn't be designed for tv (could this be why american golf is so much more about target shooting - because it's easier to televise?).

Then think how you watch live golf; you have a choice, follow one match or watch a lot of matches through one hole, or do a bit of both. This is essentially what the beeb are doing when what we really want is full coverage of all the matches in progress so that we can choose which we watch instead of a producer choosing for us.

For interactive tv, the answer may be a half-way house; use a split screen, show four holes at a time then you can dip into whichever you like for the commentary.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great tournament, seen most of it. (even had CCTV zoomed into toshiba's window at times to see the score)

Really wanted Greg to do well if I'm being honest and I even had a secret bit of hope for Poults (being English and all)

But fair does to Paddy, what a great finish. And that second shot was just magnifico, 272 yards with a 5 wood and a 40mph cross wind. Unbelievable. Definitly a match winner!

Do wonder how close the final day would of been if TW was there but I am glad he wasn't as we would of only seen two players today instead of 6.

Really cant wait for Sept now, infact i'm re-arranging my holidays tommorow!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At one time, now I'm going back a couple of decades here, the BBC offered the best golf coverage... Reason, well they had the experience. The problem currently with the BBC is that they don't cover enough.
If you only did something 4 or 5 times a year, you'd look a bit amateurish. Something the large US companies have no excuss for. The BBC certainly has the money, but not the regular experience with, bet most of the cameramen & directors are more used to covering footie matches where there is 22 men & only one ball to follow.

And as for the putts disapearing behind people, brollies or bags on the ground, well that is rife no matter who is covering the golf on any week, which is no less annoying, but a fact.

Generally the commentary is very good, even, or especially Mr Alliss's odball comments. I'd really rather hear more of Mark James's comments as they are really insiteful, apt & interesting.

As I say all that's needed for the BeeB is more practice at covering these events during the year & maybe a change of director, nothing more.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Line acre had a glorious moment showing his lack of golfing knowledge this morning when they were filling time before bbc1 live coverage (coverage had started on the red button)
Jimmy Bruen (who has an ulster-wide competition named after him) footage, it ended with poor gary saying "and what a swing he has" to which Nick Faldo replied "yea he makes Darcy look normal" the camera immediately popped back to Linekers face looking very confused and eventually errupting an indiffernt grin, he had no idea who Darcy was!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great tournament, Do wonder how close the final day would of been if TW was there but I am glad he wasn't as we would of only seen two players today instead of 6.

Such a great tournament that the whole TW issue faded into the background. Would have been happy for any of the first three to win. Harrington deserved it in the end - (and I had Carnoustie down as a bit of a fluke).

AliB

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great tournament, Do wonder how close the final day would of been if TW was there but I am glad he wasn't as we would of only seen two players today instead of 6.

Such a great tournament that the whole TW issue faded into the background. Would have been happy for any of the first three to win. Harrington deserved it in the end - (and I had Carnoustie down as a bit of a fluke).

AliB

I really can't see how Mr Woods being or not being at a tournament makes the slightest difference, because although he may be the best golfer around, he doesn't perform well every week. Heck if Rocco Mediate, someone with one of the worst swings in Pro golf can almost beat the supposedly great Mr Woods then anyone can.

So to me there is no TW issue as regards the Open or any other tournament he choses to not play in for whatever reason.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments from Jack Nicklaus and Peter Alliss regards attendances. Jack was saying that attendance in the US was down 25% due to the lack of TW. Alliss said the attendance at Birkdale was up despite the weather and no TW.

Makes you wonder just what effect the move of the World Matchplay to Spain will have on attendances. I can't see it being that well supported in comparision to the support that it has had at Wentworth.

One to watch next month, Masters at Woburn.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The debate about TW missing is really a non event-Harrington won last year with TW in the field.

It may have been an issue if someone without a major had won the Open but given a man with a major in his back pocket won when TW was playing has to silence this "Argument".

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The debate about TW missing is really a non event-Harrington won last year with TW in the field.

It may have been an issue if someone without a major had won the Open but given a man with a major in his back pocket won when TW was playing has to silence this "Argument".
You're absolutely right RGS. Harrington won it last year with Tiger in the field. This year he won in style. There is no doubt that Padraig is a two-time winner. Good for him!