Who's going to Captain the next Ryder cup in Paris?

U

User62651

Given the amount of PR required to make the event in France a success I feel it MUST be a French captain so step forward Levet or Jacquelin or Van de velde (cant think of any others except Dubuisson who's too young). If not a French person then at very least someone who has fluent French is needed.
With a win Van de Velde could get pure redemption from his Carnoustie torment!:mad: He's a character too. Thomas Levet would be a decent shout as a former RC winner.
Levet for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Paul Lawrie or Thomas Bjorn. Both intelligent, methodical and pragmatic men who would garner respect from the team. Would very much like to see Westwood get a chance in the next six or so years.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can anyone even begin to claim Westwood shouldnt be captain at some point? frankly absurd!

Its impossible to know if someone is going to be good captain, none of them have any experience as such. So yes, it should 100% come down to your pedigree and stature withing the sport and previous Ryder Cups.

Jean Van De Velde? Homer what are you smoking? If you're going to go down the french route - Thomas Levet would be considerably more worthy

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Given the amount of PR required to make the event in France a success I feel it MUST be a French captain so step forward Levet or Jacquelin or Van de velde (cant think of any others except Dubuisson who's too young). If not a French person then at very least someone who has fluent French is needed.
With a win Van de Velde could get pure redemption from his Carnoustie torment!:mad: He's a character too. Thomas Levet would be a decent shout as a former RC winner.
Levet for me.

I suppose to get the Max exposure in France it really needs a Frenchman

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bjorn is the obvious choice given his role in the last couple. I was thinking Levet would have been a good vc this time round to prepare him for a role at Paris.

Lawrie is an interesting one. He doesnt seem to like the limelight (not a bad thing) so im not sure how he'd cope with being thrust in it. Im not saying he couldnt do it, just that he might not want it.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bjorn is the obvious choice given his role in the last couple. I was thinking Levet would have been a good vc this time round to prepare him for a role at Paris.

Lawrie is an interesting one. He doesnt seem to like the limelight (not a bad thing) so im not sure how he'd cope with being thrust in it. Im not saying he couldnt do it, just that he might not want it.

I'd like to hear his thoughts on it..! He comes across as a thoughtful chap who cares a lot about the game and has a steely element to him as well. Not as immediately outgoing, but somewhat in the McGinley mould. I reckon he'd be up for the fight :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why not Darren Clarke again, provided he learns from his mistakes. i.e. don't pick an old mate who is a dodgy putter. The Yanks basically did us by better putting in the RC just played. Davis Love III did better the second time as captain.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Bjorn would be a good choice as he's done his time as a VC. However what about Van de Velde. I wonder if a Frenchman in France would have the same effect as Seve in Spain. It'll certainly be a home favourite and he's done VC before I think

Seve had charisma, V-d-V just has a wet socks story.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats it then the forum has decided, win and you are a great Captain, lose and you are rubbish... Seem to remember Davis Love made all the wrong decisions last time, but now he is the bees.. Same as Leeds owner Mr Cellino, Team lose the manager is sacked thats it nothing to do with the players its all the managers fault.. Just bad luck this time, to many rookies who played well last year but have gone off they will come again but there was no team leader, no catalyst with fire in his belly Rory tried but its not his way, hope we find one for France

Well said that man.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Picking a French captain cos the event is in France is a little short sighted. If Europe are serious about winning the cup back then they need to avoid such fluffy decisions. There wasn't an Irish captain in Ireland, a Welsh captain in Wales or a Scottish captain in Scotland. Just pick the best man for the job. I cant imagine they'll have problems selling tickets; i'm sure there'll be thousands who will be up for the trip from here in the UK.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
By all accounts Seve was actually a terrible captain, and Olazabel wasnt much better

Yup, Seve was.

I just don't agree with this "its in France so pick a Frenchman". If they have an outstanding candidate, yes, but not just because he's French.

Do the yanks pick a Minnesota captain, just cos its there.

No they pick a previous "failure" (in some eyes), who had a load more putts go in this time. Some people put too much thought into daft things.

That said, surely the blue and yellow fish won us the ryder cup in Gleneagles - nothing to do with home advantage, good pairings, blah,de blah.... :D