Who will be the first male tour player to come out gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see this week that Colin Jackson has finally come out the closet. Golf is a funny sport where i haven't met one gay guy in 30 years. Either they don't like golf or are leading a double life.

Would be a shame if guys had to hide it. I feel sorry for the wife who is unaware of the situation.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I hope we've moved on and no one actually cares and it's not news. But, we're not quite yet there and being the first to do so would be news and it takes guts to be that person.

The question is whether the environment is such that someone felt ok about saying it.... and that's the bit everyone else is responsible for.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Errmmm who gives a toss? Apart from the OP.

I mean being gay, transgender or binary neutral these days is old hat. You'd get more response if Tommy Lee Jones stepped up and announced that sports star X was from some far flung galaxy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only surprise to the Colin Jackson statement was that a/ he thought no one knew b/ he thought it necessary.

In this day and age there is no need to announce who you sleep with, just get on with it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Mrs Doubtfire - well transgender at best.

Funny thing is - I am not aware of any gay members of my club. Which is actually great - for the very bestest of reasons viz - I am not aware... I was musing yesterday as I watched couples go out on a b/h mixed comp on how the club will react when a gay couple enter a married or mixed couples competition. I hope it is soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Unfortunately whilst there are still millions around that world that attach a stigma to being gay millions people still hide their sexuality. Yes they shouldn't have to but the world isn't like that because their are far too many bigots around ( the US elected one for goodness sake ).

Sports stars and indeed anyone in the media announces their sexuality to show the world that it shouldn't matter and to help others who are hiding and to show them that they can be whoever they want without fingers being pointed.

The world hasn't reached a "just get on with it " stage and I'm sure as hell golf is years away from it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Was going to type, "I don't care," but actually I do. I care about the negative press, the intrusion and the stupid stigma that some narrow minded individuals place on something like this. And I also care about the stain on the character of the game applied by those outside the game who will think that golf is still a game of inbred gin swilling Colonel Blimps.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There was always rumours about a certain Spanish Ryder Cup stalwart and former Masters champion.

Who actually cares if a golfer is gay or not?

D

Deleted member 18588

It's wrong to assume that the response of club golfers would be overwhelmingly negative.

It may be but until the situation arises we won't know.

The reaction may be more cricket like and nobody will be greatly bothered (and why should they be?) or it could be a more Neanderthal response in line with the behaviour of some football supporters.

It really is about time people's sexuality became irrelevant to all of us.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was always rumours about a certain Spanish Ryder Cup stalwart and former Masters champion.

Who actually cares if a golfer is gay or not?

A mate who caddied for him briefly in the early 90's can vouch he's defo not, actually far from it judging by the stories he told me ;).

scubascuba3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do find it strange though that there is not even one in any of the clubs I've been members of. Although my current club there are a high number of lesbians.

Although all the posters seem open minded, golfers are often very traditional based on my experience so I'm not sure how they would react if there was "the only gay in the golf club"

Last edited by a moderator:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Obviously it does otherwise your golf club, mine and everyone else's would have a proportional representation

We had a guy that was openly gay over 15 years ago and served on our committee for years. no longer a member.

One of our ex lady members (now a PGA pro) is openly gay. I think she is the main pro at another south west GC.

Also, one of our current kitchen staff is openly gay. Just don't see a problem with it.

And before anyone cracks a funny, no, we are not all gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.