Who hits the practice ground before playing - and for how long?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When I do a session on the practice ground, it takes quite a while to get "in the groove". I'll often start with a few decent strikes, make the mistake of thinking "oh this is going well", then suffer a bunch of thins, fats, hooks and slices. Finally everything clicks and I start hitting the ball consistently well. (I will admit that I'm not a natural at this game and have to work at it, so perhaps my experience isn't typical).

Now: we're all aware that the tour pros spend ages on the practice ground before playing their round. We amateurs, on the other hand, tend to rock up, swish the club a few times, maybe hit a few in the nets, and then get on with it. Could it be that if we were able to spend an hour on the practice ground before playing, it might result in significantly better scores? It's simply not feasible for me to actually do it, but it makes you wonder... (Presumably the tour pros don't spend all that time limbering up just for fun).

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
When I do a session on the practice ground, it takes quite a while to get "in the groove". I'll often start with a few decent strikes, make the mistake of thinking "oh this is going well", then suffer a bunch of thins, fats, hooks and slices. Finally everything clicks and I start hitting the ball consistently well. (I will admit that I'm not a natural at this game and have to work at it, so perhaps my experience isn't typical).

Now: we're all aware that the tour pros spend ages on the practice ground before playing their round. We amateurs, on the other hand, tend to rock up, swish the club a few times, maybe hit a few in the nets, and then get on with it. Could it be that if we were able to spend an hour on the practice ground before playing, it might result in significantly better scores? It's simply not feasible for me to actually do it, but it makes you wonder... (Presumably the tour pros don't spend all that time limbering up just for fun).

Yeah, I like to have a decent warm up.

Don't like the nets cause I might be slicing might be hooking, so don't know where to aim down the first!!!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rocking up for a friendly game with a couple of mates its a couple of stretches and a swing or two of a club and then its on the tee.
However, monthly medal and ko comps its a half hour in the range .

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do most times I play. Tend to hit 40 or 50 various pitches and chips round the short game area then will hit probably 15 to 20 balls (a few 7 irons a few hybrids a few drivers then finish with some wedges) From there I go to the putting green where Ill hit some chip and runs then have a few mins trying to get the pace of the green with the putter

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have recently, for the first time for years. Shock of shocks!! Two h'cap cuts. Usually only hit maybe a doz balls.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually get a bucket of 40 balls before I go out, hit maybe 2/3 balls with each club then go hit a few chips and putts. Like to be at course an hour before hand if it's not a comp I just roll up hit some putts and head out.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get to the club about 50 mins before tee time. Head to the practice ground warm up stretching with resistance band, then hit 5 balls with each club starting with PW, then 8,6, the driver. Then spend about 5/10 mins on the chipping green, playing different shots. Then head over the the club house, get my card, pay my money then on to the putting green. 10/15 mins putting from different angles and lengths. Just trying to get a feel for the speed. Then to the first tee 5 mins before tee time. Get the driver out and stay loose until it's time to go.

Throughout all of this I am not practicing just warming up and getting loose for the day and taking it as it comes. I've had people mention about it only being a club medal etc. and there's no need for it. But the way I see it is I want to do the best I can so why wouldn't I get loose. Everyone has their own routines to get ready so why bring people down that want to get there early.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have recently, for the first time for years. Shock of shocks!! Two h'cap cuts. Usually only hit maybe a doz balls.

Bit like me then - for first time ever given I've had a couple of lessons and encouragement by pro. I'm hitting a dozen or so balls with 7i before I go out for any sort of 18 holes. And two out of three rounds so far have been in buffer so will continue.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
When it's not a comp I just hit a bucket (24 balls) on the range to literally warm up my muscles.

On tournament days I try to be on the range at least 60 mins before my tee time. Typically start at the pitching/chipping green, then switch to the range. Work my way up through my bag starting with wedges, hitting either just the even or odd numbered clubs.
Then maybe work some more with any club I feel needs some extra attention that day. Putting green comes last, rolling some long putts to get a feel for the distance and the speed of the greens.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Usually turn up an hour early, start to warm up with a few swings, end up chatting. Then have a swing chips, followed with a few putts, another chat, then run round to first tee as I am almost late.

LMAO

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For a roll up game I'll get there about 30 minutes before the balls are drawn and stretch and hot a few (30-40 including pitches to warm up). For a comp I'll give it an hour and stretch and work through the bag up to driver, go and hit a few bunker shots and then a few chip and putts, get my card, and go out

D

Deleted member 15344

I normally hit the Costa or Frankies Cafe for a coffee - couple of stretches maybe the odd putt then away we go

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get to the club about 50 mins before tee time. Head to the practice ground warm up stretching with resistance band, then hit 5 balls with each club starting with PW, then 8,6, the driver. Then spend about 5/10 mins on the chipping green, playing different shots. Then head over the the club house, get my card, pay my money then on to the putting green. 10/15 mins putting from different angles and lengths. Just trying to get a feel for the speed. Then to the first tee 5 mins before tee time. Get the driver out and stay loose until it's time to go.

Throughout all of this I am not practicing just warming up and getting loose for the day and taking it as it comes. I've had people mention about it only being a club medal etc. and there's no need for it. But the way I see it is I want to do the best I can so why wouldn't I get loose. Everyone has their own routines to get ready so why bring people down that want to get there early.

Your pastime , your membership . your time , your routine ..let any that has any problems r negative comments whistle Dixie & mind their own business mate

1 bucket of balls for me with gap & pitching wedges, few pace putts off to the tee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I usually spend about 20 minutes chipping and putting and then go.
Although I have goñe straight to the first tee without any warm up and still played well.....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I normally hit the Costa or Frankies Cafe for a coffee - couple of stretches maybe the odd putt then away we go
that explains why you will never be a proper golfer, and get a decent handicap.:ears:

I like to hit about ten shots in our net, and once the shank is grooved in I know I am ready to go.:thup: