Who doesn't use a driver?

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If im not feeling 100% with the driver i am going to leave it in the house that way i can not be tempted into using it. It seem to have a hold over me and makes me feel guilty if i do not use it. I think it has cast a spell over me. The other day one of the guys lost his temper and snapped the shaft over his knee. I look at him and he said to me know i have no choice i i can not use it at all. feel like doing the same but my driver shaft is irreplaceable.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've just bought myself a taylormade rbz stage 2 tour spoon 13 deg but I can adjust it down to 11.5 or up. Not going to drop my driver yet but might start using the spoon more on the narrower holes.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
american golf have a deal on 99 pounds and you can get a taylormade rbz 3 wood. Really good off the tee with 197cc head size. Hits the ball a mile i would get one asap though as i think they will sell out fast.

Gazboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I go through spells of being either a bit rubbish or very rubbish with my driver. 9/10 times my 5w will go as far or further and 9/10 times it makes the fairway so I only used the big stick twice today as the holes had fairways like motorways. The rest of the time I used the 5w or 16deg hybrid or an iron. That said I lost the plot with my 5w on the 9th, I just couldn't hit the ball properly but was back on form on the 10th and the rest of the round :)

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I got myself an rbz stage 2 tour hybrid at 18.5 but adjustable to 17-20 I think, never checked:eek:, and it is superb, the driver now gets left in the bag unles absolutely necessary. I hit the hybrid only 25 yards less so basically no problems, the joy is being on the fairway more often. At your stage of playing it is mor e likely that you will hit something similar to above club better than your driver so I wouldn't be surprised if the distances are similar. 3 woods are not a safe option, you've got to go to a minimum 5wood before you have enough loft to start making the club safer, 3 woods are still very 'revealing'!

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
no driver for me just traded it at the pro shop for a shiney new ping putter as i feel i can play my home course with just my hybrid and irons i do have a 3 wood in the bag but try not to use it

Jack991

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't get on many par 5s in 2 without a driver though .... for me nailing a drive down the middle of the fairway brings too much satisfaction to ever ditch it ! even if it won't hesitate to slice one OB next hole...

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't get on many par 5s in 2 without a driver though .... for me nailing a drive down the middle of the fairway brings too much satisfaction to ever ditch it ! even if it won't hesitate to slice one OB next hole...

but you play off a handicap off 6 you can not compare your ability to a high handicapper

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm convinced to get a 3wd now who makes a good one? Needs to be cheapish as saving for new irons.

Have a look at MD golf 3woods on eBay,cheap as chips & always get glowing reviews when compared to the bigger name brands.

Spark.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im in a bit of a rut with my drive the now. When i hit it, its either pin straight for 260-300 yards, or straight right. Was thinking of trading it in for the rbz 3wood. Going to get some lessons shortly, hopefully that will sort me out. I dont believe in putting it away and not working on it, only cheating yourself out of the biggest club in your bag. Hit the driver straight and you will lower the club number next out your bag. None of us are going to make big money in the game anytime soon so whats the point in not practicing it?

LeeTurner

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven't been carrying my driver for about a month now. Instead I'm using an Adams 17 degree XTD hybrid and, when I manage to connect properly, this thing flies. However this is on a very dry course which now looks as though it's going to change judging by the amount of rain that's currently falling and due this week. The low trajectory may not offer as much advantage in mucky conditions so the driver might, begrudgingly, have to get another outing.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots of people don't from what i see hear.

Personally i am no more accurate with a 3W than a Driver

I'm the same, been having terrible trouble from the tee with the driver, hooks, slices, tops - the lot, I had no idea where it was going. Tried the 3W, 5W, 4H off the tee and whilst there were some good shots all the clubs seem to be as inconsistent, eventually what started out as a technical issue became physiological and I was even mis hitting my trusty 7i off the tee, give me that same club on the fairway and I invariably hit it well and straight. Went to see the pro ages ago about the driver and he had me basically using the driver as a "putter" on the range or small slow swings. It didn't actually help me, hence the reason for trying the fairway woods from the tee, but after they didn't work I decided to go back to the driver as I figured surely it is easier to "hit" a driver from the tee than a fairway wood - bigger head, sweet spot etc. Anyway on the driver I have slowed my swing down to a ridiculous level and in my mind I'm trying to replicate that 7i on the fairway. The result has been that it is now going dead straight 7/10 but not very far, 150-180 carry, perhaps 200 run out. It has also been coming out very low which was a bit of a problem last week with some of the carry's at St. Annes last week, so I've switched from the pink castle tees to the silver/bright orange tees and the flight is much better. I'm surprised and pleased with the result of having straighter drives, ok the ball doesn't go that far and I will still mis hit a few due to my ability but I just wanted a goto club off the tee and now feel the driver is my best bet. I just need to be careful about getting too fast or thrashing at it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think it's important to have a driver that you can hit well, after all a wedge is an easier approach shot than a mid-iron, so if you can get further up the fairway it can be better.
But don't use it when you don't need to. That is the lesson I've learnt this year. I only hit it 12 times in 36 holes yesterday. I used my 3 & 5 woods quite a bit on par 4 & 5's.