Who doesn't use a driver?

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anybody just use a 3wd instead of using a driver? I don't have a 3wd but tempted to drop the driver as its abit hit and miss at the min and buy a 3wd. Been at the range twice this weekend just working with my 5wd and getting some good results. Its better to be 20yards shorter on the fairway than further up in the rough aint it.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lots of people don't from what i see hear.

Personally i am no more accurate with a 3W than a Driver

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a complete beginner and consciously chose not to buy a driver or any woods so that I can master the basics first with irons and then introduce more difficult clubs.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm don't currently have my driver in the bag but that's because the additional distance isn't a help rather than any particular issues with it!

Considering yesterday's match it was fairly even split between 3w and 3h with a couple of 4i off the tees - so it's not even a matter of using the 3w all the time.

Most senior matches are played of the yellow tees and just don't need it in current conditions (the above wasn't a seniors match and was off the back).

Knockout semi tomorrow - whilst there is the possibility for some psycological advantage on the odd occassion I can't see it being in the bag then either. Thinking about this it won't - he doesn't react! So even giving 17 shots it won't be needed.

Last edited:

car.crash

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been playing for 2 years and I always carried a g20 driver but never played it as I could never get it to go straight.
I always used a 3w.

I picked up a R1 driver and can bomb that miles further than my 3w and it goes straight so I now have a driver again.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a driver but very seldom use it

Did a wee test the other day, proper crowned my driver and hit an easy 3 wood they both went the same distance but the 3 wood was much lower and straighter smack in the middle of the fairway (I suspect the shaft in my driver is causing the ballooning shots but nonetheless)

I now mainly use my 3 wood and my 5 wood, I think everyone beginning the game should try a 5 wood, I love mine

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check the title of the thread! :rolleyes:
...and the first line from the first post ?

Anyway not really sure why everyone makes comparisons to tour pros at the top of their game when trying to prove a point, their game is miles apart from anything that happens on most golf courses over the weekends.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I go for spells without a Driver - Me and Driver's have had a Hate/Hate relationship for the past 10 years or so and as I can hit a 3w around 240 or more it often makes sense to drop the Big One..

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been having problems with my driver, when the course was dry and hard i used a 20 degree hybrid and i was hitting it down the middle of the fairway and as long as the other guys hit there driver. I was coming in with 37 to 40 points as i was not getting into any trouble at all. I played yesterday friendly and decided to get the driver back out. 1st hole tee off was terrible probably one of the worst shoots i have ever done lost ball. I decided to leave it in the bag until the 8th tee hit it 280 yards straight, then 9th tee terrible shoot 150 yards into rough, 10th hook into rough, 11th 280 yards straight, 12th 240 yards straight, 13th 240 straight. 15th lost first with a slice then lost provisional hook (wind was very bad). 16th straight 220 yards, 18th skyed it about 100 yards and lost it. came in with a terrible 21 points. Personally i think its all about hitting the fairway keeping out of trouble. who cares if it goes 300 yards i would rather have a safe 200 yards every time than a russian roulette driver, I have a 3w rbz which i just bought and going to try and master that off the tee or maybe invest in a 17 degree hybrid. After all im a high handicap player. There is a guy in the club who uses a 7 iron off the tee on a par 5 then a 7 iron 2nd shoot then a 7 iron 3rd shoot, he is always on the green after 3 shoots putting for birdie. I struggle to do that as driver get me in trouble all the bloody time

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have been using my three wood a lot more recently. With the courses being so dry and me being a wuss in terms of forum driving distances, I haven't been penalised too much in loss of distance but have enjoyed more accuracy. I played Tylney Park yesterday which is a long course (nearly 6,600 off the whites) and so had to hit driver a lot and had a great driving day. Back to my club today in the medal and the driver was the cause of a lot of my woes