Who deserves a knighthood more?

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following the 'Sir Nick' threads, and not wishing to condem him, I often raise an eyebrow to those chosen for such honours at the best of times, and an example of my reasoning is in this question.

Do you think Nick deserves his knighthood for his achievements and his partial efforts and perhaps a small % of his wealth donated for good causes, over the efforts of many a local club pro who work hard all their lives, not just for the club, but for people and kids, teaching and helping them realise their potentials and even become future faldo's?

Whenever someone gets a gong or a knighthood, I can always think of people I have met in my life who are far more deserving of such an award and title, people who give their lives to worthy causes, not just a brief period in their lives following some success, but always, regardless of fame or fortune success.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that a reasonable percentage of new year and birthday honours go to members of the public for charitable work or similar. A friend of my mothers was made an MBE for their work over 20 years in raising money for a local hospice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whenever someone gets a gong or a knighthood, I can always think of people I have met in my life who are far more deserving of such an award and title, people who give their lives to worthy causes, not just a brief period in their lives following some success, but always, regardless of fame or fortune success.

I'm sure these days you can nominate them for an honour. How - I've got no idea but I'm sure you can do it.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree these guys put there lives on the line everyday for peanuts they deserve better , than some golfer who's won a few majors and made a tit of himself at the ryder cup . Tin opener sitting waiting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess into that equation you'd have to add nurses and firemen especially those that have stuck with the jobs for ten plus years (long hours poor pay - in the case of nurses and plenty of stress)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess into that equation you'd have to add nurses and firemen especially those that have stuck with the jobs for ten plus years (long hours poor pay - in the case of nurses and plenty of stress)

My vote would go to the Lifeboat men/women who are all volunteers and never refuse to go out whatever the weather or Health & Safety. (Not like Firemen)

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
My vote would go to the Lifeboat men/women who are all volunteers and never refuse to go out whatever the weather or Health & Safety. (Not like Firemen)

I agree, in my mind these people are heroes.

One of the problems with the honors system is all the civil servants and politicians who get knighthoods and other honors for basically doing their job.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
One of the problems with the honors system is all the civil servants and politicians who get knighthoods and other honors for basically doing their job.

My mum got an MBE in 2005 for working with the WRVS as a volunteer at the local hospital for 30 years. I went with her to collect it (and meet the Queen). It was a great day for her although sitting near to us was (a) a guy who had been a career tax collector and (b) someone who was head of VAT. They got OBEs, one up from MBE, just for doing their jobs.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have a problem with Nick getting his knighthood (or Kelly becoming a Dame) but perhaps if the system allowed for distinctions between those who have earned them (SS2's mum) and those who have put the time in?
(Keith Richard for a peerage!)

I think at one time it may have done so but politicians, (un)civil servants and the like are those who write the rules.

In military terms it's a bit like the DSO which was hugely devalued when it was dished out to loads of staff officers.