Who can mark cards for first handicap?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Me and my brother are in the process of joining a new club, we haven't been members anywhere since 2018. My question is who can mark our 3 cards for our first handicaps? Or can we use what we had at our previous club or is that handicap long expired?

Cheers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a question to ask the club you have joined. All clubs can make up there own rules.

You should tell the club of any previous handicaps held and if you were issued one with on your CDH number. CDH numbers once issued are for life.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
old handicap has expired, you should still notify your new club of it, as to who can sign your cards depends on the clubs rules

good luck at the new club, where have you joined?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is a question to ask the club you have joined. All clubs can make up there own rules.

You should tell the club of any previous handicaps held and if you were issued one with on your CDH number. CDH numbers once issued are for life.

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I thought there would be a hard and fast rule for all clubs. I'm sure I had a CDH number but there's now way I can remember it.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
old handicap has expired, you should still notify your new club of it, as to who can sign your cards depends on the clubs rules

Cheers pal. Got a deal on two clubs about 5 miles from each other, one is Perton Park and the other is The Staffordshire. Was paying a £25 green fee every weekend so made sense.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I beg to differ. Today I had a member re-join after leaving us in September 2017. When I went to enter his details - email address and DoB - on WHS, up springs his old CDH number asking me if this is him. Responding with yes, he was allocated a WHS HI equal to his old CONGU UHS handicap. I loaded 2 cards for handicap of the 3 which I had asked him to submit. These reduced his HI by a couple of shots. So WHS has a lot of the old CDH information going back beyond the scores from 2018 which were used in the transition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I beg to differ. Today I had a member re-join after leaving us in September 2017. When I went to enter his details - email address and DoB - on WHS, up springs his old CDH number asking me if this is him. Responding with yes, he was allocated a WHS HI equal to his old CONGU UHS handicap. I loaded 2 cards for handicap of the 3 which I had asked him to submit. These reduced his HI by a couple of shots. So WHS has a lot of the old CDH information going back beyond the scores from 2018 which were used in the transition.

On a similar vein we had nearly one 100 members with no scores recorded after 1/1/2018 they were given a HI simply based upon their handicap. I believe the actual procedure was 3 scores equal to their existing handicap converted H.I..

wjemather

Visit site
On a similar vein we had nearly one 100 members with no scores recorded after 1/1/2018 they were given a HI simply based upon their handicap. I believe the actual procedure was 3 scores equal to their existing handicap converted H.I..
My understanding it that handicaps with less than 3 scores since 1/1/18 were brought forward by creating artificial scores (to bring the total number of scores up to 3) that have differentials equal to the player's CONGU (UHS) exact handicap plus 2 (to allow for the 2 stroke premium for only having 3 scores), that get deleted with the addition of new scores.

I believe non-club members at transition (Oct/Nov) were not originally migrated, but with the surge in re-joiners they have since been done so can be reactivated. Handicap committees will likely want to see some general play scores before allowing entry into competitions though.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My understanding it that handicaps with less than 3 scores since 1/1/18 were brought forward by creating artificial scores (to bring the total number of scores up to 3) that have differentials equal to the player's CONGU (UHS) exact handicap plus 2 (to allow for the 2 stroke premium for only having 3 scores), that get deleted with the addition of new scores.

I believe non-club members at transition (Oct/Nov) were not originally migrated, but with the surge in re-joiners they have since been done so can be reactivated. Handicap committees will likely want to see some general play scores before allowing entry into competitions though.
Yes we have seen this a lot in the surge of new members.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

So you would pay your money and join a club; you would fulfil the requirements and get a handicap; but you wouldn't be allowed to enter a competition. How very welcoming and inclusive that kind of club must be. :rolleyes:

wjemather

Visit site
So you would pay your money and join a club; you would fulfil the requirements and get a handicap; but you wouldn't be allowed to enter a competition. How very welcoming and inclusive that kind of club must be. :rolleyes:
We are talking about people with transitioned handicaps that (for the most part) have zero scores submitted in the preceding 3 years, not people who have fulfilled the requirements of WHS to gain a new handicap. It is not unreasonable to require some evidence of current ability.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
When I rejoined, I’d not played for two years.
I was given my handicap based on my last 20 scores. No need for new cards and straight back into comps. Most of my 20 scores are from 2018.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are talking about people with transitioned handicaps that (for the most part) have zero scores submitted in the preceding 3 years, not people who have fulfilled the requirements of WHS to gain a new handicap. It is not unreasonable to require some evidence of current ability.

If a person has not played in a competition since 2018 how likely is it they will start playing one just because they have changed clubs?

wjemather

Visit site
If a person has not played in a competition since 2018 how likely is it they will start playing one just because they have changed clubs?
There are many reasons why people won't have played comps during this time - many simply haven't been a member anywhere, some have changed circumstances so are able to play more (perhaps only able to squeeze the odd 9 holes in the evening previously), etc. Also, some clubs don't offer many comps, especially midweek.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've just been though this - hadn't been a member for four years and couldn't find my CDH number - put in three cards (signed by my wife who has been a member all along) - then found a handicap certificate in my email from 2016 which had my CDH number on (didn't play any comps after that) - supplied it to handicap secretary and within a couple of hours got confirmation that my handicap index was same as my handicap had been in 2016.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just been though this - hadn't been a member for four years and couldn't find my CDH number - put in three cards (signed by my wife who has been a member all along) - then found a handicap certificate in my email from 2016 which had my CDH number on (didn't play any comps after that) - supplied it to handicap secretary and within a couple of hours got confirmation that my handicap index was same as my handicap had been in 2016.
Hopefully he will now put in the 3 cards you completed