Who buys the drinks after a competition round?

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my normal 4 ball we just take turns and buy drinks and food. It's not an issue as we've been playing together for a good few years now. Through the winter months we play our own form of a match play sort of format. Loser buys lunch but is exempted for the follow week. A birdie also gives exemption. If I'm playing with others I'll always offer to get the first round in but a bit like the OP some people get there and insist on buying. It usually works itself out in the long run.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
i played a medal a couple of years ago with two relatively new members. after the round we headed in for a drink and i got the first round in. after a while they both got up (separate) and brought another, just for them selves without a word. I then got up and said either of you like another??? both said yes please i'll have "X" i didn't go to the bar, i just buggered off.... tight-fisted buggers.

Wow!

We have a rule in our swindle, if we're in 3s then the person in 3rd at the tea hut buys breakfast (3rd and 4th split it if we're in 4s) and then the other two get a round each at the end.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd never given it thought but now that I do its much like entering any bar or pub. First to the bar gets the drinks in for the playing group

It may or may not be reciprocated, who cares. Often more drinks will be ordered and any tab will get squared at the end by all if not paid earlier (often any side-bet winnings go to the bar bill)

(the 'who cares' is not a reference to the cost being meaningless, far from it. It simply means that much like xmas pressies, i don't buy one in order to get one back)

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We do get some strange posts on here don't we.... just buy a drink if you're first to the bar. The others will buy the next ones. If you don't buy the first round, just make sure you buy one of the next ones. It's not rocket science. Better to spend more time thinking about the golf 😉

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We do get some strange posts on here don't we.

And we also get some strange responses....

Given that I am very new to the social side of playing with people that I don't know and playing in comps, I was merely asking if there was a general etiquette / tradition when it comes to getting the drinks in - especially as on both occasions my PP's just had a quick drink or disappeared straight after handing their cards in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only recently starting playing comps at my local club and have played 2 so far.
Is there are etiquette as to who buys the drinks after the round?

After both comps, my playing partners absolutely insisted on buying me a drink despite me making the offer first.
Could it be that they see me as new comp player? Is it that they beat me?
Or maybe they looked at my non-designer golf outfit and assumed that I am very poor :D

On both occasions, my PP's said that they couldn't hang around for long, so I didn't have the opportunity to return the favour.
You may have hit the nail on the head at the end there. If they knew they were having to leave after one, they didn't want to be in the situation of accepting a drink off you and then scarpering, hence why they insisted on getting the round.

Generally if you're all sticking around I think it's just whoever offers first. Usually not a problem as someone else will get the second round and nobody feels hard-done-by.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The winner...always

And if the winner has to head off the offer is still made. If the loser is going to hang around the winner can buy his opponent a drink and then head off immediately.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You, you should buy your own drinks.

Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you are uncomfortable with.

I strongly dislike not paying people back. Much easier to just get your own drinks.
Just to echo what others have said, I think you'd come across as a bit of a tosser here. No offence as I'm sure you wouldn't intend it to come across that way - but if I offered someone a drink, and they declined and just bought themselves one, they appear very anti-social. If you only have time for one and you don't want to owe them, you could always get the round yourself and get them one next time. Or decline on the grounds you said, but I imagine most people would insist and say you don't owe them anything.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to echo what others have said, I think you'd come across as a bit of a tosser here. No offence as I'm sure you wouldn't intend it to come across that way - but if I offered someone a drink, and they declined and just bought themselves one, they appear very anti-social. If you only have time for one and you don't want to owe them, you could always get the round yourself and get them one next time. Or decline on the grounds you said, but I imagine most people would insist and say you don't owe them anything.

Not offended at all, this is a golf forum, great place to discuss but hard to convey full meaning like a face to face conversation.

In person every single member of this forum I have met turned out to be a normal, perfectly nice and polite person.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have to agree and I would be be a bit annoyed if I offered a drink and they declined and then bought their own. Let me buy you one. Never an obligation to buy one back

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to agree and I would be be a bit annoyed if I offered a drink and they declined and then bought their own. Let me buy you one. Never an obligation to buy one back

Thats great Homer, many people wouldn't feel the obligation to be paid back, honest nice folk like many here on the forum. I am thinking more from the person receiving the drink, the times I haven't paid back I have felt a little guilty or embarrassed. I doubt I am alone in feeling that way and I would always try to default to paying my way first unless insisted.

Guess the solution for me and those like me is to just have the free water then right?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I think you can politely decline though without folk taking offence . I often only stay for one as i like to get home with the rugrats so say to the chaps "Keep your money in your pocket Dave (or whoever) , I'm only staying for a quick one then shooting off" . I'd hope that Homer , Orikoru or anyone wouldn't be offended or think i'm a tosser for that . As Science Boy says it's difficult to get your point across when typing but hopefully that makes sense.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you can politely decline though without folk taking offence . I often only stay for one as i like to get home with the rugrats so say to the chaps "Keep your money in your pocket Dave (or whoever) , I'm only staying for a quick one then shooting off" . I'd hope that Homer , Orikoru or anyone wouldn't be offended or think i'm a tosser for that . As Science Boy says it's difficult to get your point across when typing but hopefully that makes sense.

Spot on Drewster, maybe due to my haste of posting, often not fully thought through, I didn't get my actual thought across well.

Even if I offered I would accept anyone who wishes to declined. It's not like they are then going off to drink it in a corner on their own...

I do try to think of the alternative points of view, spark a bit of debate etc. I often hold views that look to change old ways of doing things, part of my nature to enquire about change.

I would hope we would all prefer that to a long list of responses agreeing with the OP and nothing else?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spot on Drewster, maybe due to my haste of posting, often not fully thought through, I didn't get my actual thought across well.

I would never I'll think of anyone who wanted to keep it simple. Even if I offered I would accept anyone who wishes to declined. It's not like they are then going off to drink it in a corner on their own...

I do try to think of the alternative points of view, spark a bit of debate etc. I often hold views that look to change old ways of doing things, part of my nature to enquire about change.

I would hope we would all prefer that to a long list of responses agreeing with the OP and nothing else?
Ha, yeah it was your original wording that threw me off. You started off by saying "everyone should buy their own" or something to that effect so it made you sound anti-social. Obviously there are different ways of saying things to offend or not offend people. If you just said "no thanks I get my own" that wouldn't look great, but of course you would explain that you just want a quick one and head off and I'm sure they'd understand. Most people would probably insist anyway and then it'd be your call how firmly you deny them!