White or Yellow Tees

D

Deleted member 16999

yes but there wasn't much run if any and i can only think of one i couldn't reach in two with a good drive, the other one was because i hit it OOB;)
GE sort of proves my point, I’d put them as Kings, Queens and PGA in that order, the PGA is the modern long course though, Kings and Queens is more about position than distance and neither need playing off the backs to be appreciatted.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
GE sort of proves my point, I’d put them as Kings, Queens and PGA in that order, the PGA is the modern long course though, Kings and Queens is more about position than distance and neither need playing off the backs to be appreciatted.

how does that prove your point?

have you played any of the links courses i've mentioned?

D

Deleted member 16999

how does that prove your point?

have you played any of the links courses i've mentioned?
I’ve played quite a few links, mainly in NW/NE and was a member of Seaton Carew for a few years, played a few in Scotland, including Trump.

The long modern hitting course (PGA) is not as good as the other 2 but would satisfy the long hitter.

Played Royal Liverpool off the Open Tees and my biggest worry was reaching the fairway, played it off the yellows and all of a sudden the hazards came into play and I had to think about Tee Shots, not just reach for the Driver on everything but the Par 3’s.

There’s more than one way to enjoy a course than just play it iff the backs.

Links is my prefferred course :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’ve played quite a few links, mainly in NW/NE and was a member of Seaton Carew for a few years, played a few in Scotland, including Trump.

The long modern hitting course (PGA) is not as good as the other 2 but would satisfy the long hitter.

Played Royal Liverpool off the Open Tees and my biggest worry was reaching the fairway, played it off the yellows and all of a sudden the hazards came into play and I had to think about Tee Shots, not just reach for the Driver on everything but the Par 3’s.

There’s more than one way to enjoy a course than just play it iff the backs.

Links is my prefferred course :thup:

no one said it was, i like playing from the whites as i think more goes into the design of courses from there. people get put off the whites by the attitude you have, they guys i played at St Andrews with last year were reticent to play even the new off the whites, they changed there minds after playing it. The New at st Andrews would rather prove my point that is a far better course off the white.

I think if you judge a course purely off the forward tee's you don't get the full picture.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely your perspective alters if you hit 280yds off the tee or 200yds off the tee? The 'full picture' is very different depending on that first shot.

D

Deleted member 16999

no one said it was, i like playing from the whites as i think more goes into the design of courses from there. people get put off the whites by the attitude you have, they guys i played at St Andrews with last year were reticent to play even the new off the whites, they changed there minds after playing it. The New at st Andrews would rather prove my point that is a far better course off the white.

I think if you judge a course purely off the forward tee's you don't get the full picture.

:rofl: Attitude? Because I’m happy to try a course off any colour?
I’m happy to play golf, not judgemental enough to dictate to others how they should play a course.
There will be courses who lose nothing playing off any tee.

Trump was one, with the weather we had and wind direction, playing some of them holes off the backs would of proved nothing.

D

Deleted member 16999

Surely your perspective alters if you hit 280yds off the tee or 200yds off the tee? The 'full picture' is very different depending on that first shot.
Nooooo! The guy only hitting it 200yds won’t be a proper golfer ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m happy to play golf, not judgemental enough to dictate to others how they should play a course.

Trump was one, with the weather we had and wind direction, playing some of them holes off the backs would of proved nothing.

only you that is missing out then phil

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

When I played the Ailsa at the beginning of the month the starter told us we could go off any tee we liked. I suggested we might go off yellows on some, whites on others depending on the strength of the wind and the direction of it, "would that be okay"?. He simply smiled and nodded, "very sensible". We took a judgement on each hole and had a fabulous time. Going off the whites into a 20+mph headwind would have ruined the day. We lost nothing in terms of appreciation.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the type of course should be taken in consideration when selecting the tee and also the conditions.

as a rule of thumb i am happier to play a longer links due to its running nature.

D

Deleted member 16999

only you that is missing out then phil
What’s with the Phil comment? All your doing by putting that is making yourself look like a child! It’s a forum and we are allowed differing opinions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not according to you, i even put umpteen posts ago you could play what ever tee's you like, but my opinion what you get a better feel of a course off the whites.. again my op, but you've just kept on and on.

anyway i'm off to play golf from the whites now;)

D

Deleted member 16999

not according to you, i even put umpteen posts ago you could play what ever tee's you like, but my opinion what you get a better feel of a course off the whites.. again my op, but you've just kept on and on.

anyway i'm off to play golf from the whites now;)
Having a debate and answering directed posts is going on and on :confused:

Literally every post you’ve made is backing up how not playing off whites is not experiencing how the designer intended the course to be played and you giving examples.

Enjoy the course and don’t forget to laugh at those missing out by playing off other tees.