Which new driver?

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey I didn't realise the OP asking people's opinions about drivers would cause such an issue

Wooky - hope you enjoy what ever big stick you buy :thup:

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What myriad of possibilities could someone be asking about on a GOLF forum, in the specific GOLF section and not in the ''Out Of Bounds'' section? hhmmm!

My old TM Burner driver that I've now started to use again, was actually a suggestion by another person. At the time, I had my heart set on either a Mizuno or a Titleist driver. TM was never in the picture.

These types of posts do help as you might never have looked at a certain brand driver. So when its put to your attention, you will try one out next time out. You never know, it might beat the pants off all the drivers on the wanted list.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps if 6inchcup hadn't spanked £2k on the joining fee for his fancy pants club he could afford a nice new driver himself.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a valid point and what suits one won't suit another and surely the old adage of try before you buy is valid. Apart from anything else, nothing beats having fun bashing drivers and seeing what one works

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's good to get an Idea of what others are finding but nothing beats getting a varied mix and validating the stats on a launch monitor.

Asking other similar golfers (consider all things inducing but not exclusively handicap) can help weed out obvious incompatabllity or a potential match but it always needs backing up with solid extensive data.

I say these threads are fine, just maybe the question needs asking in the right way to avoid negativity?

D

Deleted Member 1156

6inchcup makes a valid point. Just because a particular club works for you doesn't mean it will work for John, Bill or Fred.

It never ceases to amaze me how many threads similar to this pop up on here.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get down to your local store where you can try a load out, give them all a whack and see which one works and feels best, then go and get custom fitted for it. Job done.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
how would i know if they interest me or not without opening them !!!!!!! my point is some post just for the sake of posting,as im on what colour slacks should i wear tomorrow so as not to clash with my pp who i dont know what he will be wearing ??
People come on here because they enjoy discussing golf with like minded people. Clubs are a big part of golf so what is wrong with asking people's opinions? Like an earlier post said it is obvious what the thread is about, if ya don't like it swerve it.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People come on here because they enjoy discussing golf with like minded people. Clubs are a big part of golf so what is wrong with asking people's opinions? Like an earlier post said it is obvious what the thread is about, if ya don't like it swerve it.
nothing wrong at all about asking about something that people have an opinion on,but to list a load of clubs your thinking of buying,then asking which is the best,your going to get as many opinions as there are clubs,no one is going to say i have xyz and its rubbish are they.
You seem to be missing my point,he didnt come on and say ,"i have been looking for a driver for some time and after spending hours at the shop hitting on the range or launch monitor i have found my perfect driver it was model A ----" then give us examples why it worked for him,my assumption was he knew which one he was going to buy but was just checking the snob value,i will ask you the same question as the others WHY do you use the clubs you do?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Better than being a, what did you call it? Oh yes, a 'scally'.

and i bet you have some at your club,the ones you and your mates talk about behind their backs,the ones who don't know etiquette and wind you up on the course,EVERY club has them and anyone who says they dont to be blunt is telling porky pies,i will as you the same question HOW did you chose your clubs by trying a few different ones or just getting the ones a complete strangers tells you to get,or because the were the latest kids on the block and you wanted to look like the dogs doodahhs at the first tee??

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sure all this sniping and posting digs is very helpful for the OP

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure all this sniping and posting digs is very helpful for the OP

your the font of all knowledge so you have the casting vote LP.
What is best asking complete strangers who have never seen you swing a club,pick a driver from the following list that is best for me ?.
Or going to a pro based in a shop that has a range attached or launch monitor facility,picking all the drivers on your list and hitting them under the pro's guidance.
For some reason some on this subject dont seem to know or dont wish to say.

D

Deleted member 15344

your the font of all knowledge so you have the casting vote LP.
What is best asking complete strangers who have never seen you swing a club,pick a driver from the following list that is best for me ?.
Or going to a pro based in a shop that has a range attached or launch monitor facility,picking all the drivers on your list and hitting them under the pro's guidance.
For some reason some on this subject dont seem to know or dont wish to say.

I can't seem to see the question you are asking in the OP ? I don't believe the thread was started looking for what was best to do

The Poster was looking for opinions on drivers as there is prob someone on the forum who will play with the driver - whether he uses the answers to help him decide or go to the pro will be up to him but your posts don't help him - they just snipe at posters on here

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In an attempt to bring this back-

Obviously go and try these out/ get fit but my two cents-

Ping G30- Just bought one and it is huge! Really forgiving also. If you like your current Ping then this is a must try in my eyes!
Callaway Alfa 815- I found this gives distance but a bit lacking in accuracy for me
Taylormade SLDR- Older so you can get a bargain. If the results are like you mentioned then I would be inclined to go with this.
Taylormade R15- Step up from the SLDR however wouldn't imagine a huge difference from the SLDR so may be wasted money depending on results.
Any others?- A lot of people rave about the Titleist. I am not keen on Titleist as a brand and struggle to play them but based on others' reaction to the 915 it should be considered.

Good luck and enjoy trialling them!