Which music subscription service?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I am an avid music listener. Had spotify for years but gave up and switched to Apple music several years ago now for two reasons.

At the time, it was only Apple that included lyrics to songs, I think Spotify might have since, but more importantly, as i listen via a shuffle facility almost all the time, Spotify had a flawed shuffle. I found it would play the same songs regularly despite having about 10,000 in my library.

I switched as I read that Apple's shuffle was superior, and effectively would play every song in a playlist or library before repeating the first one. That clearly isn't true and the shuffle algorithm is much the same as spotify was. I still hear the same songs more frequently and have many songs that i just never hear.

Neither is perfect, but switching to another service is a pain.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am an avid music listener. Had spotify for years but gave up and switched to Apple music several years ago now for two reasons.

At the time, it was only Apple that included lyrics to songs, I think Spotify might have since, but more importantly, as i listen via a shuffle facility almost all the time, Spotify had a flawed shuffle. I found it would play the same songs regularly despite having about 10,000 in my library.

I switched as I read that Apple's shuffle was superior, and effectively would play every song in a playlist or library before repeating the first one. That clearly isn't true and the shuffle algorithm is much the same as spotify was. I still hear the same songs more frequently and have many songs that i just never hear.

Neither is perfect, but switching to another service is a pain.
Spotify has lyrics for songs but not all artists and songs are included

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oooh what’s this?
It’s crap is what it is. Another AI tool that’s not very intelligent.

My playlists are pretty much all dance music, ranging from old school hardcore to trance to acid techno. So the AI has a decent idea what I’m in to.

It was suggesting Oasis, Pulp, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister and Meatloaf amongst many others. All in the “we thought you might like” bucket. What in the world from my listening and playlist history would make any form of intelligence think that I would be interested in that?

Their “daily mix” function and “made for you” function are much better and actually does suggest stuff that you’re likely to be interested in.

I did wonder if it was a “big brother is watching” kind of thing as my Tidal account uses the same email address and on there I have a lot of Pink Floyd and Genesis amongst the dance stuff and that would make more sense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use Spotify, it does the job. It has practically every artist and song in the world on there somewhere. My biggest issue is trying to think of what to put on each day. Also has access to most podcasts which I use as well. I think it even has some audiobooks now too.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recognise a lot of the pluses and minuses from the various systems mentioned in this thread in Amazon Music. This is the only one I have ever used, since iTunes so cannot be certain about the others but it does sound like they are all very similar and it will come down to personal preference about layout and cost.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Spotify has lyrics for songs but not all artists and songs are included
Yes, i thought that was the case now, but the shuffle repetitiveness was the deal breaker for me.....and have found its no better with Apple. Their claim that it won't repeat a song until every other library track has played (which is what I read at the time) is just a fallacy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, i thought that was the case now, but the shuffle repetitiveness was the deal breaker for me.....and have found its no better with Apple. Their claim that it won't repeat a song until every other library track has played (which is what I read at the time) is just a fallacy.
On Spotify, if you are listening to a playlist, I'm certain it does play every song before repeating one. However, if you stop listening to the playlist, and continue where you left off later, this resets so it may play the songs you heard earlier that day. If I've explained that well enough.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
1§1§
On Spotify, if you are listening to a playlist, I'm certain it does play every song before repeating one. However, if you stop listening to the playlist, and continue where you left off later, this resets so it may play the songs you heard earlier that day. If I've explained that well enough.
Yes, with a playlist i think both Spotify & Apple do that. I just like to put the whole library on shuffle and then it does repeat. To put it in context, I have about 10,000 songs in my library. Yesterday, during a 45 minute car drive, 3 songs from a single album (the only album I have from that particular artist) were played.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Apple Music, but we all have Iphones and I also use a DAC on my desktop PC and on my phone so like the higher quality audio along with the massive library you get.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use Spotify, it does the job. It has practically every artist and song in the world on there somewhere. My biggest issue is trying to think of what to put on each day. Also has access to most podcasts which I use as well. I think it even has some audiobooks now too.
Do the other services include audiobooks?

I love listening to them in the car and on the bath.