Which Major would you most like to win?

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Lining up in a Major championship is something that we can all only dream of, but if you were a top class pro and could choose one of the four Majors to win which one would you go for?

I'm predicting for most of us that it would probably boil down to a choice of two - the Masters or the Open. Some of our friends in America might pick the US Open or the PGA but those of us from these shores probably wouldn't.

I have to go for the Masters. I've been to the Open lots of times and am well aware of its traditions and standing but the beauty and glamour of Augusta in the spring, the Green Jacket and guaranteed membership of Bobby Jones' club just swing it for me. I now feel distinctly unpatriotic and am off to buy myself a bulldog and make roast beef.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a links lover I'd have to go for The Open as its a battle against your peers, played in often testing conditions on courses that represent the cradle of the game.

Don't get me wrong The US Masters is a great event played at an amazing venue and for me signals the start of the season proper but the truncated field and almost too pristine conditions just give the Open the edge

as for the others the US open has rather lost credibility in recent years with this daft obsession with setting the course up so hard in a bid to make par the winning score. I dint really enjoy watching the world's elite being made to look silly which on occasions has been the case.

As for the USPGA I can imagine anyone other than a golfer who has won the event and no other Majors could view it as anything other than 4th on this list

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say I agree with Swingstar - obviously any Major is a step up from RWNGC's Winter Foursomes trophy but it does run the USPGA prettty close!

The Open has an aura that even the Masters struggles to match - although incidentally Augusta is probably the course i would pay most to play in the world - and any tournament that is played on links (the way golf is meant to be!) has to take my vote. Also Scotland is the home of the game and it would there be anything better than to walk across the Swilcan Bridge with a four shot lead (assuming you are not Jean Van de Velde).

I think the US Open gets a bit of undeserved criticism and I have to say I actually quite like it when the course is set up extremely hard and the players start to struggle a little. Some of the courses are fantatsic and make a sharp contrast to our Open.

Put me down for an Open Championship though!