Which major Sporting event would you go back too

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two of mine already mentioned - Forest v Malmo 1979, and Botham & Willis v Australia 1981.

But two more are

Sat 20 August 1994 , England v South Africa, Devon Malcolm 9-57. I was there when it happened, but that bowling performance was so good, and the atmosphere so electric, I'd happily use my "Go Back Once" card to see it again.

Steve Redgrave's 5th gold medal at the 2000 Olympics.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Super Bowl LIV from February this year. Then I could have been had both Tampa Bay's victories. Damn travel restrictions.

1932 World Series to see if Babe Ruth really did call his shot.
1980 - The Miracle on Ice in Lake Placid.
Any great Wayne Gretzky game so I could say I saw the greatest individual player in any team sport.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
... so I could say I saw the greatest individual player in any team sport.
I add one to my list ;-)

NBA finals, game 6, Bulls at Jazz. Jordan’s last game, winning with the shot where he pushed of his defender at the free throw line.

it’s weird how the bulls were so dominant but a lot of their games came down to the last possession.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Last two days of the 1981 Headingly Test. Botham and Willis.

Borg McEnroe Wimbledon final in 1980. Think that was the one with the epic tie break that seemed to go on for ever.

1977 Open at Turnberry, last day, when Watson beat Jack by a shot.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I first read the question as if it was one you went to....

Was at...

Aldershot 1 Sheffield Utd 0 FA Cup 1979... long story! :)
Garcia winning the Masters in 2017
England 4 Holland 1 Euro 96

Wasn't at, but Rich has nailed a couple above Headingly 81, Duel in the Sun 1977..... I guess Wembley in 66 would have be a decent a out! :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would have loved to walk the back 9 with Nicklaus when he won his last Masters(86). Watched it at the time and several times since. Pure theatre!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I first read the question as if it was one you went to....

Was at...

Aldershot 1 Sheffield Utd 0 FA Cup 1979... long story! :)
Garcia winning the Masters in 2017
England 4 Holland 1 Euro 96

Wasn't at, but Rich has nailed a couple above Headingly 81, Duel in the Sun 1977..... I guess Wembley in 66 would have be a decent a out! :)
I went to the Aldershot V Shrewsbury FA Cup tie, which I think was the same year ? Think John Dungwortgh scored both Shots goals. Definitely finished 2-2. Didn't take my Reading scarf to the game.:eek:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I went to the Aldershot V Shrewsbury FA Cup tie, which I think was the same year ? Think John Dungwortgh scored both Shots goals. Definitely finished 2-2. Didn't take my Reading scarf to the game.:eek:

Yep, same year. After Sheff Utd, then beat Swindon 2-1 and then Shrewsbury in 5th round. Shrews equalised with last kick of the game after JD scored a few mins earlier then won the replay. :-(

Reading? I've gone off you now! :)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
1, slightly cheating because the question states in your lifetime, but I'd love to have seen Don Bradman in the flesh. The MCG is iconic and he scored multiple hundreds there against England. Pick any one but wikipedia rates his 270 in 1937 so I'd take that one.

2, just. Brazil v Italy 1970 World Cup final. The vibrancy of the colours, the players on show, the goals ?

3, 1988 Seoul Olympics, mens hockey final. GB won, it was massive for all male hockey players and clubs at the time. I saw it with my team mates at our club, it would be great to have been there.

Image34.jpg
...scanned in a bit of my world cup wall chart. Look at that attendance!

D

Deleted member 3432

Headingly and Old Trafford tests in 81 Ashes.

Wigan v Hull 1985 Challenge Cup final.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

John Dungworth, there's a blast from the past.
I remember he played for Rotherham United back in the 80s and wasn't particularly loved by the fans. I was at a game where one fan shouted "what is John Dungworth? "..."20 pence a bag"
Still remember it as clear as day ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Sweden - Canada in the 1994 Olympic final in ice-hockey. Peter Forsbergs winning penalty that became a postage stamp and Tommy Salo’s save thereafter. Wow.

When Sweden came from 5-1 behind against Finland, IN Finland, in the 2003 WC, to win 6-5 would’ve been quite something as well.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
John Dungworth, there's a blast from the past.
I remember he played for Rotherham United back in the 80s and wasn't particularly loved by the fans. I was at a game where one fan shouted "what is John Dungworth? "..."20 pence a bag"
Still remember it as clear as day ?

Still revered in the northern half of Hampshire.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Monday night in Kilmarnock - didn't get rained on despite it pouring for the whole drive across the country, always a bonus, fans in the ground for their first game in over a year and we ruined their night (felt a bit for them). Two early goals to settle any nerves and no drama - just my team totally controlling the game as we won promotion back to the top league - Can't think of a more enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Turned down an all night free bar afterwards - not having touched alcohol for over a year I decided a couple of cans of lager as I edited all my pics in the wee small hours was a safer option.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It might dispel some of the myths that has grown over the years if you watch it again?

England played with 10 men for most of the game as Jack Charlton was injured early in the game, it was a close game with England hitting the bar late on, as for Slime Jim doing keepie ups I could have done that as there was no one around him at the time just a bit of showboating ?

Also you failed to quilify out of the group ?

But you did beat the World Champions?
All the above may well be true but it does not make the match any the less iconic and one I’d love to have been at...

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
...scanned in a bit of my world cup wall chart. Look at that attendance!

1970 World Cup - watched the YouTube highlights of that tournament the other day. I was only five but my mother worked in an Esso garage and came home with tons of those collector coins for me. I had a couple of full sets and tons of swops to take to school. Of course never kept them as a full set is worth a mint these days.

The only ones I was missing were the ones of the Scottish players :ROFLMAO: