Which Handicap

Flash

Visit site
Is the HC you have for a particular round not worked out before you start and written on the card?

Therfore, won't you just work out the stableford points for each hole based on the handicap written on the card the same way we have done forever?
Or have I missed something obvious.

I have only just got a handicap after 13 years off golf and am yet to enter a comp since regaining it.
Is the HC you have for a particular round not worked out before you start and written on the card?

Therefore, won't you just work out the stableford points for each hole based on the handicap written on the card the same way we have done forever?

I have only just got a handicap after 13 years off golf and am yet to enter a comp since regaining it.
Yes a very good club will supply you with a card marked up (particularly if you a lady member whose committees are better at this than the mens) but if when you sign in the details will be provided on screen so have a pencil available.

NearHull

Visit site
Yes a very good club will supply you with a card marked up (particularly if you a lady member whose committees are better at this than the mens) but if when you sign in the details will be provided on screen so have a pencil available.

the bit in bold is as confusing and clear as the last episode of Line of Duty.

i.e. How did you come to that conclusion?

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Therfore, won't you just work out the stableford points for each hole based on the handicap written on the card the same way we have done forever?

I think the confusing part is that when your course handicap is on the card and if you Mark all your stableford points down the points total will be incorrect as when the computer puts in the 95% adjustment most players will be getting one point less.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the confusing part is that when your course handicap is on the card and if you Mark all your stableford points down the points total will be incorrect as when the computer puts in the 95% adjustment most players will be getting one point less.
Gosh, far too much to think about while playing. Just do as Colin suggested, try your best, play hard, focus on each shot and record your gross score. Everything else will be worked out.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Most cards have a space for "handicap" & "stokes received" i.e. 95% in singles. Use the "strokes received" figure & you get the right result.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Ok. But as I understand it all individual comps are played off 95% of course HC. Is that correct?

So, we have. Index ➡️ Course HC ➡️ Playing HC.

If playing a medal then subtract the playing HC at the end. If stableford then use the playing HC to determine which holes you get shots and score according?

Seems reasonably straight forward. Unless I'm missing something.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok. But as I understand it all individual comps are played off 95% of course HC. Is that correct?
If playing a medal then subtract the playing HC at the end. If stableford then use the playing HC to determine which holes you get shots and score according?

It's probably worth a reminder that you don't need to know your Playing Handicap. You might want to, but you don't need to.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gosh, far too much to think about while playing. Just do as Colin suggested, try your best, play hard, focus on each shot and record your gross score. Everything else will be worked out.

Personally I think it’s nothing to think about now I understand, if you still want to mark your stableford points on the card to keep track of your score all you need to do is subtract one point at the end , simple.

At my club the new system has been very confusing for most of the members even now the majority still have little understanding of it, that’s not to say the new system is bad it’s just the fact the majority of players haven’t taken the time to read up on it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Also it’s going to take awhile to adjust at my club I think ?

You are correct of course in saying all that needs to be done is write your gross scores on the card, at my club we have always when playing a stableford competition informed each other of our points after 9 holes not gross scores.

We had a situation where a player was told his points by his pp after the round and being annoyed/ confused when told he was one point less when results were in.

Perhaps the best way for us is to tell the members to just write the gross scores on their cards and not points ?

I must say I like to know my pp points after 9 as I often play with players around my h/c and for me it adds a bit of competitive edge.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Remember the CH will be higher or equal to the PH so you may get more 'strokes received' with your CH. That is the number used for Handicap Index calculations. PH is only used for the competition result. When playing, ignore your PH and concentrate on your CH.

BiMGuy

Visit site
It's probably worth a reminder that you don't need to know your Playing Handicap. You might want to, but you don't need to.

Thanks. Either way, it seems pretty straight forward.

I presumed the new system was fantastically complicated, given the confusion being described on here.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You can put in a card every time you play (provided you pre-register your intent) you do not have to wait to enter a competition. It is important to try to get to 16 cards at least as quickly as possible if you want a reasonably stable handicap index.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The trouble with clubs marking up cards before you play is that they should only be done on the morning of play with the new system to ensure all handicap boxes are correct. If the club does them before the day it is still your responsibility to ensure the Course Handicap recorded is correct.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also it’s going to take awhile to adjust at my club I think ?

You are correct of course in saying all that needs to be done is write your gross scores on the card, at my club we have always when playing a stableford competition informed each other of our points after 9 holes not gross scores.

We had a situation where a player was told his points by his pp after the round and being annoyed/ confused when told he was one point less when results were in.

Perhaps the best way for us is to tell the members to just write the gross scores on their cards and not points ?

I must say I like to know my pp points after 9 as I often play with players around my h/c and for me it adds a bit of competitive edge.

I know of two players who lost out in fairly big competitions for only checking the Stableford points with their marker and not the gross scores - correct stableford points agreed verbally on the players card but gross score recorded higher than that played.

As said on other threads we had a major campaign last year to get players to only record their gross score in the gross score column and their Stableford points in the points column which has been a fairly successful . Now we just need to educate new players to record their gross score on the PSI screen and not their stableford points:ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

Visit site
You can put in a card every time you play (provided you pre-register your intent) you do not have to wait to enter a competition. It is important to try to get to 16 cards at least as quickly as possible if you want a reasonably stable handicap index.

I have been putting in general play cards since getting my HC, and registering it all via HDID. I've 9 recorded scores now. The HI does swing as wildly as me ?. There is a 5.5 shot difference between lowest and highest HI so far.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the moment, with 9 scores in, your handicap index is based on an average of 3 scores. That will change the more scores you submit until your 20th takes you up to an average of 8. The swings should settle down as you go through the process towards 20 scores in. The handicap index swings, that is.

BiMGuy

Visit site
At the moment, with 9 scores in, your handicap index is based on an average of 3 scores. That will change the more scores you submit until your 20th takes you up to an average of 8. The swings should settle down as you go through the process towards 20 scores in. The handicap index swings, that is.

Glad you clarified that last point. I was getting excited reading that my swing might settle down ?

Thanks

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love it when people come to me saying their points on the PSI aren’t what they made it.

Did you put your gross scores in. Yes: Then those are your points.

Same when they do a medal then spend 10 mins trying to do the maths to come up with a score. Put the gross scores into the PSI and your results come up.

JUST PUT YOUR GROSS SCORES DOWN - it makes the checking committee and the players life so much easier - no maths required.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Actually Index ➡️ Course HC ➡️Strokes received