Which grip is the best?

Kurt92

Club Champion
Visit site
Is there a 'best grip' to use?

I've always learnt with the interlocking grip but some people tell me the vardon grip is much better.

my grip feels more flexible in the vardon grip but it doesn't feel as reliable.

Should I scrap the interlocking grip and start using the vardon? Will it improve my game?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've always learnt with the interlocking grip but some people tell me the vardon grip is much better.

Maybe they could tell Jack Nicklaus and Tiger their grips are wrong too :mad:

Stick with what feels comfortable. Thank your friends for their advice and just ignore it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Vardon work best FOR ME.

If interlock is comfy and you hit well with it, then stick with it. It seems to encourage a more consistent and neutral grip of the club and less independent hand action.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
two-hander if you got two - otherwise grip with whichever one you've got.

Truth is that there are an infinite number of grips and I bet every golfers grip is ever so slightly different in one way or another - so there is no right or wrong once you've got going and found something that suits.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Luke Donald also uses interlock, doesnt Tommy two gloves use baseball grip?-might be wrong there- so basically its whatever works and is comfortable for you, the games hard enough without gripping it with an unnatural feel.

Faldo says "Good golf starts with a good grip"

AyrshireGolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Interlock for me.

Anything else does not feel as natural.

Of the two other guys I play with one uses the Vardon and the other uses basbeball grip. We are all pretty similar in playing ability, just using what feels most comfortable.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I recently played with a RH player who used a left hand below right grip, I found it extremely difficult to watch him address the ball and swing - it just seemed soooo wrong. He said that that was how he started - and he has just stuck with it. Not a bad player either.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ive been told vardon is best as it promotes the club to be held in the fingers more. Which made sense to me at the time. If you interlock the fingers aren't lined up on bioth hands, ie you hold the club in the fingers with the top hand but not soo much the bottom.

Having said all that as above some of the greatest players use interlocking so maybe thats better?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I recently played with a RH player who used a left hand below right grip, I found it extremely difficult to watch him address the ball and swing - it just seemed soooo wrong. He said that that was how he started - and he has just stuck with it. Not a bad player either.

Seen a couple of these, one of whom hit the ball an obscene distance!. In fact, there's a guy who played that way who apparently should have made a Scottish team/squad, having beaten most of the guys who did make it. Rumour was that he was left out because of his cack-handed grip!

Was out with a Left-hander who played right hand low the other day! Also looked weird - though I knew a hockey player who played that way!

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The grip that works best, is the one that works for you.

That said my grip is in evolution at present, but that more to do with hand position rather than the interlocking or not of the fingers.

Luulox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started with interlocking but for me it was not really working, seemed to lack power so swapped to overlap after i bought an old book called 'The golf swing- the ernest jones method' which convinced me to try the overlap. Seemed to get more control and felt a lot better in my case. The book is worth a read.
Cheers
Pete

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use interlocking as I have small hands and it was the grip I was taught when I started. Providing the grip isn't too weak/strong and allows you to deliver the club square at impact then whatever is comfy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I started out with an interlocking grip for 6 or 7 years then changed to the Vardon. I changed as I wanted to weaken my right hand off and found it easier with the Varden. The answer for me is, whatever feels best and gives you the most correct grip as you are unlikely to play your best golf without the right grip