Which club to join????

JT.

Visit site
The difference in money would probably allow you a few rounds on other good courses away from where you play .
I would imagine that cost of post round food and beverage is not cheap at Woburn either.
Yes I agree and that consideration is definitely in the mix. There’s a group of 4 of us who go away and play a few opens and away days around the country each year which definitely impacts on my decision making.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have not played at either course but reading the original post I think the OPs heart is in option 1. If it was me I would also go 1 as that sounds like the friendlier, club option. Option 2 would perhaps be great to tick off for a season just to have that taste of luxury but I'm not sure it would be a long term option.

Reactions: JT.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes and very well summarised on the dilemma. Not sure I’d put any of the Woburn courses miles ahead of County......but there are 3 of them!

Although course wise I think County drains better than anything at Woburn and is therefore a better winter/wet course. County is certainly the friendlier and warmer feeling of the two also.

But there are some fabulous signature type holes spread across Woburn that would be great to test myself on week in week out.

Both courses have fantastic facilities and thriving junior programs (my 11 year old daughter is starting to play so this is important to me).

But most interestingly all the answers so far are pulling me towards County (my direction of travel before posting). I just can’t compute in my own mind that I’m being offered Woburn and thinking about saying ‘no thanks’......I think I was/am looking for people to tell me I’m bonkers for thinking that way.

I wouldnt say you were bonkers for turning down Woburn having lived 10 minutes from it and knowing guys who play there and been fortunate to do so myself many times. It it very corporate, it is quite cliquey, it does put non members stuff first a lot of the time. That said there are 3 fabulous courses and cracking practise facilities

Would I say you were bonkers for turning it down for Northants County, based on personal experiences, yes I would. Nice enough track but was never made to feel welcome and never felt like a decent members club to me albeit im told its lost some of its stuffiness in recent years (you clearly have a different perception of it based on your OP)

Good luck in whichever you choose (where do you play currently?)

JT.

Visit site
I wouldnt say you were bonkers for turning down Woburn having lived 10 minutes from it and knowing guys who play there and been fortunate to do so myself many times. It it very corporate, it is quite cliquey, it does put non members stuff first a lot of the time. That said there are 3 fabulous courses and cracking practise facilities

Would I say you were bonkers for turning it down for Northants County, based on personal experiences, yes I would. Nice enough track but was never made to feel welcome and never felt like a decent members club to me albeit im told its lost some of its stuffiness in recent years (you clearly have a different perception of it based on your OP)

Good luck in whichever you choose (where do you play currently?)
Yes aware of County’s stuffy reputation, however haven’t experienced any of that and have always been made to feel welcome when I’ve been up there.

Equally take your point on Woburn being a bit corporate. But I am made to feel like a valued customer when I’m up there. Little touches like the halfway huts always being open are nice too (most places only seem to open for a few hours on Saturdays or when they have big societies on).

Currently at Whittlebury Park which is where I landed when we moved to the area 3 years ago.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes aware of County’s stuffy reputation, however haven’t experienced any of that and have always been made to feel welcome when I’ve been up there.

Equally take your point on Woburn being a bit corporate. But I am made to feel like a valued customer when I’m up there. Little touches like the halfway huts always being open are nice too (most places only seem to open for a few hours on Saturdays or when they have big societies on).

Currently at Whittlebury Park which is where I landed when we moved to the area 3 years ago.

I think we all get a different perception of clubs on how we are treated on our first few visits, rare for us on this forum to all agree too! Guess I saw Northants County at its worst the first time I visited (and tried to communicate with the secretary) and its hard to shake that view.

Assuming youre living nearer Northants County than Woburn (based on being at Whittlebury currently?) would have an impact to me too, cant say Id want to be doing say J15 to J12 on the M1 before my golf each time (and quite dependent on what times of day/week you usually play)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, have been struggling with a similar dilemma since start of December. It’s torture. 1st world problem torture like ?

I would make my mind up 100% one way, then the other. Fortunately owing to a reduction in my clubs fee and the offer to pro rata the new one I can afford both this year, so I get the best of both worlds for this season.

Next year I’ll be joining the new club, but I’ll get to say a long goodbye and play lots of team scratch golf this year, which I love. But the new club is superior in every way and far more convenient for an after work knock, so once I’ve settled in I’m certain that the better track is the option.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
which ever course you like the best and would enjoy playing over and over.

also if you already know members and have acc to roll ups, that would be the biggest draw after course.

JT.

Visit site
I think we all get a different perception of clubs on how we are treated on our first few visits, rare for us on this forum to all agree too! Guess I saw Northants County at its worst the first time I visited (and tried to communicate with the secretary) and its hard to shake that view.

Assuming youre living nearer Northants County than Woburn (based on being at Whittlebury currently?) would have an impact to me too, cant say Id want to be doing say J15 to J12 on the M1 before my golf each time (and quite dependent on what times of day/week you usually play)
I’m in Silverstone, so it’s A5 rather than M1 which would be the problem. That being said I work in Milton Keynes so only 15 mins away from Woburn which might be useful in the summer ?

I play 70% in the week and 30% at weekends which makes a difference as well. Travelling time there’s not a great deal in it between the two.

JT.

Visit site
which ever course you like the best and would enjoy playing over and over.

also if you already know members and have acc to roll ups, that would be the biggest draw after course.
Yes and knowing a couple of members at Woburn (I don’t know any at County) does give me a ‘starter for 10’ there.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m in Silverstone, so it’s A5 rather than M1 which would be the problem. That being said I work in Milton Keynes so only 15 mins away from Woburn which might be useful in the summer ?

I play 70% in the week and 30% at weekends which makes a difference as well. Travelling time there’s not a great deal in it between the two.

If youre working in MK and heading to Woburn from work then thats far better, I guess getting to County in the week be a bit of a pain to get north of Northampton at certain times too. Journey to Woburn should be fine at weekends (subject to the usual caveats lol)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes and knowing a couple of members at Woburn (I don’t know any at County) does give me a ‘starter for 10’ there.
yes, the first few clubs i joined, i knew no one and at times it was hard getting games, but when i joined my current club a already knew a couple of the guys and had an invite to a roll up that was a massive advantage and made it the most enjoyable club to be a member as i always had a game. that as well as its the best most enjoyable course locally to me

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Part of the reason I left my old track was due to corporate golf and the feeling that they took priority (probably rightly too) over members.

Great golf courses can become a tad frustrating when it's 5 hour rounds that are the norm because Tom Dick and Harry turn up and take over the club for 20 tee times.

That said I only had the choice of one track not three so you may have more options/wiggle room when corporate days are on.

Other things I would take into consideration are the clubhouse, food and showers - can't beat a good shower. Also consider sign on's at both clubs how many guests you can take per annum. And finally practice facilities.

D

Deleted member 21258

I like Woburn a lot, everytime been there, been friendly and enjoyed ourselves. Marquees and Dukes are a couple of courses I could play over and over again and get a buzz from playing them everytime, whether playing well or poorly. Like the feeling in the clubhouse and spent 2 odd hours last time between rounds just sitting in the comfy sofas.

Something to be said to picking a course/setup which will give you a buzz everytime you know you are to play golf and you get excited when pulling onto the 'estate'. And a choice of playing different courses.

Would join Woburn in a flash if it was closer to me.

Never been to the other course, so cant comment.

JT.

Visit site
I like Woburn a lot, everytime been there, been friendly and enjoyed ourselves. Marquees and Dukes are a couple of courses I could play over and over again and get a buzz from playing them everytime, whether playing well or poorly. Like the feeling in the clubhouse and spent 2 odd hours last time between rounds just sitting in the comfy sofas.

Something to be said to picking a course/setup which will give you a buzz everytime you know you are to play golf and you get excited when pulling onto the 'estate'. And a choice of playing different courses.

Would join Woburn in a flash if it was closer to me.

Never been to the other course, so cant comment.
I know what you’re saying....all the responses today have given me real food for thought. They haven’t made the decision any easier though! ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Personally I would go for the members course every time. Been a member of a corporate place before and didn't like the thought that despite the hefty subs I had no say in how the place was run.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally id say if you are having to give up going on outings etc just to be a member of one then I'd say join the other one as it will allow you more freedom to do as you please. County sounds like much more of a proper club without the corporate nonsense and I think being a member of a proper members club makes the game for lots of people. That's how I'd make my mind up, can understand though if you love woburn as a course more but theres no doubt county will feel more traditional