Wheres Ethan when you need him?

T

thecraw

KBS Tour shafts, gimme the low down as I can't keep the feckin things down they balloon something awful. The height I'm getting from my 4 & 5 irons is akin to a 7 iron. I actually haven't lost any distance but into a wind they go nowhere at all.

Not enjoying them at all.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry I'm not Ethan, I had them in some r9tps they don't half go high, are they stiff? I went to px 6.0 as they gave me a lower flight, if anything I found them to be a little lighter and they felt less stable than the s300 I was used to at the time, perhaps the lighter shaft was allowing me to swing a little quicker, I also found my bad shot hooked, big dirty high hook.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought the general consensus these days was that all irons should go approximately the same height, just reach that height further down the flight path..?

So your 4 should go as high as your 7.........

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe so Imurg but if you play a lot of Links golf you don't want that to happen .
I played a lot of links golf with PX5.5s. Bones in my hands hurt badly on Monday!

Learnt to keep the ball down by adjusting ball position in stance. Not ideal for consistency, but defo better in wind!

KBS Tours (S) and PX (5.5) are sort of equatable (but KBS much less harsh). Tad old-fashioned, but DGS300 (or even S400) might actually help?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh hello.

KBS shafts are starting to get popular on Tour. I see Phil Mick is now using them, as well as Els, Scott and Rose. I see Robert Garrigus is also using them now.

They are designed to give a mid launch and low spin, so give a flattish trajectory. In some ways, they are intended to be like PX, but with better feel. PX are often considered rather harsh in feel. Some people do hit the KBS rather high, though, partly because they feel a little light - they typically reduce swing weight by 2 points, although they are actually similar weight to PX.

There is a new KBS shaft out called the C-taper, which has lower launch and lower spin. They are really intended to a good player. http://www.kbsshafts.com/kbs_c-taper.php

Craw - I think it would be an idea to check out whether you need a stiffer shaft. If you have a fast tempo, that might be the case. As for hitting them high, that could also be down to swing mechanics, but they shouldn't balloon (i.e. climb the drop out of the sky). The flight can be highish but should still be fairly penetrating. If you really need something lower launching, then look around ebay for a set of TT Tour Issue S400s. They will be lower launching and a bit heavier and the Tour Issue means they will be spot on flex-wise.

http://www.truetemper.com/golf/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=37