where to stay at St Andrews

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi All,

I am going to the 150th Open this year. I'm looking to stay nearby, I am happy to stay somewhere close and get the train in. Where would people recommend?

Cheers

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How nearby and what’s the budget?

There isn’t much choice available in what I’d call nearby unless you’re wanting to spend thousands per night.

peld

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, is the special train + bus service an open thing. Something I should book in advance?
no need to book specially (or at least until closer to the time), they just lay them on when the Open is at St Andrews. Bus is just a free shuttle between Leuchars (the train station) and the Course.

Fabia999

Visit site
https://www.stayattheopen.com/camping

Appreciate not for everyone but this worked well at Birkdale. Much cheaper than any local hotels, tents pitched for you, things to do and right on the doorstep and able to enjoy the St. Andrews experience.

It is camping though and not a hotel as requested but thought I’d mention in case people didn’t know.

I'm happy to camp. We do this annually elsewhere so I'd camp nearby and drive in. I'd be happy to stay in St Andrews camp site but its 2 night minimum and we're only up for the Saturday

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I'd look at Dundee, i think you can get the train to St Andrews. Prob be able to get a hotel with parking, which I'd imaging won't be easy in St Andrews.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Personally I'd look at Dundee, i think you can get the train to St Andrews. Prob be able to get a hotel with parking, which I'd imaging won't be easy in St Andrews.
Dundee is largely sold out - Booking.com has a bed and breakfast at £76 and a room at the Fort Hotel in Broughty Ferry at £240 plus one other hotel at £320. Expedia has nothing in Dundee for staying the Friday night.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dundee is largely sold out - Booking.com has a bed and breakfast at £76 and a room at the Fort Hotel in Broughty Ferry at £240 plus one other hotel at £320. Expedia has nothing in Dundee for staying the Friday night.
There's that verge on the way to the airport, maybe Able to get a tent there by the sounds of it

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I thought they had built a few new hotels in the centre where that office block /flyover was? If Dundee is sold out can't be much chance of anywhere closer by the sounds of it.
No that's a large grass area 'Slessor Gardens', they have open air gigs, events there, there's been a big wheel and ice rink etc. there over the festive period - will have a couple of office blocks around it and a new esports arena too eventually.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No that's a large grass area 'Slessor Gardens', they have open air gigs, events there, there's been a big wheel and ice rink etc. there over the festive period - will have a couple of office blocks around it and a new esports arena too eventually.
Last time I was there it was still boarded up. Thought there was plans for a couple of hotels, there was one next to the Discovery if I remember rightly. Was at a council meeting a few years ago with the Airport manager and they had appeared to have some big plans for hotels and attracting tourism to Dundee. Mind last time I was there the v&a wasn't built

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Last time I was there it was still boarded up. Thought there was plans for a couple of hotels, there was one next to the Discovery if I remember rightly. Was at a council meeting a few years ago with the Airport manager and they had appeared to have some big plans for hotels and attracting tourism to Dundee. Mind last time I was there the v&a wasn't built
Ah there is a new hotel above the railway station and the one next to the Discovery on way to airport has been rebuilt (was already a hotel/motel) - all full according to the usual booking sites though.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
If looking to pay less, check Airbnb for towns between Edinburgh and St Andrews with a train link to Leuchars, e.g. Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Ladybank.

Savo01

Visit site
I have hotels in Dunfermline and Edinburgh booked on Booking.com but was unsuccessful in the ballot. You will find a lot pre-booked rooms like me but are still awaiting tickets/won't get any so more rooms should become available in the coming weeks and months. The prices are what they are.