Where to drop outside hazard...

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ball hit towards lateral water hazard (red stakes).
Ball was inside the stakes, but on grass, not in the water. Player decided to play ball as it lay.
Of course- she hit the ball straight into the water!

So where should she drop the next ball?

G

guest100718

Usual hazard options using original entry point I think.

G

guest100718

Thanks Paddy
We assumed we had to use original entry point as reference as ball didn't cross boundary of hazard on its way into the water proper.

Ive lost track of the times I have had a swipe at a ball that looked playable from a hazrd.

Last edited:

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is only one of the options available under rule 26-2. You should read them all.

[h=4]a. Ball Comes to Rest in Same or Another Water Hazard[/h]If a ball played from within a water hazard comes to rest in the same or another water hazard after the stroke, the player may:
(i) proceed under Rule 26-1a. If, after dropping in the hazard, the player elects not to play the dropped ball, he may:
(a) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by the Rule and using as the reference point the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of this hazard before it came to rest in this hazard; or
(b) add an additional penalty of one stroke and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5); or
(ii) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c; or
(iii)under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think some explanation of what is really quite a complicated set of possibilities would help, especially as the structuring of the Rule can easily confuse. You need to notice that there are 3 options labelled (i) (ii) and (iii) and that option (i) is subdivided into two parts, (a) and (b).

So your choices are
(i) Stroke and distance (26-1a). Drop as near as possible to where you've just played the stroke and play again - this time, you hope, more successfully. The sub-divisions (a) and (b) only come into it if, after you've made the drop, you find you've made matters worse and just don't want to try a shot. Then you can either
a) proceed under the usual water hazard relief - dropping back along the line from hole through where the ball last crossed the margin (26-1b) or within 2 club lengths if it's a lateral water hazard (26-1c), or
b) play from where your last stroke was made outside the hazard.

What you need to realise is that a) and b) are costly. You have already incurred a penalty stroke by dropping the ball and it will cost you another stroke to use a) or b) to get you playing your next shot from outside the hazard.

(ii) and (iii) also get you playing from outside the hazard but directly from your duff shot into the water - at the cost of just 1 penalty stroke.

The lesson to learn is to be very sure if choosing to drop in the water hazard under (i), that you are going to get a good drop and get the ball away with your shot. You should weigh up the possible benefit of choosing (ii) or (iii). There is no best answer - it all depends on the circumstances of a particular situation.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you both.
The moral of this is, either don't go in hazard, or if you are going to play it as it lies *ensure* that you get the ball out!